Class of 2015 - Ped State's O'Connor To Transfer. Any SU Interest? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Ped State's O'Connor To Transfer. Any SU Interest?

I don't share that opinion about Edouard. His mechanics need a LOT of work. People need to temper their short term expectations for him, based upon that IMO.

Dungey seems like a solid propsect. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think a lot of posters need to do that for every incoming QB.

Arm strength--LOL. That's about the least important attribute of being a good passer.

Go back to the film. There is very little in your assessment that I agree with.

Hope you're right, by the way. But I think you are significantly overstating his passing capabilities.

At least with the arm strength it allows for him to be able to make all the required throws. AJ cant do that. Everything else can be coached up.

What else in my film assessment do you disagree with? He can't run?

At least with the arm strength it allows for him to be able to make all the required throws. AJ cant do that. Everything else can be coached up.

What else in my film assessment do you disagree with? He can't run?

HS athletes who are D1 caliber are generally the best athletes on the field. Football highlights are not the best way to judge a prospect's potential.

Arm strength is about the 8th or 9th most important attribute for a QB.

Guys who made the NFL and had fairly long careers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

How about JaMarcus Russell or Kyle Boller or Jim Druckenmiller?

Guys who made the NFL and had fairly long careers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Sure I would take the college version of either of these guys. Just felt like giving Cutler a slam. The NFL version of these guys is what is not pretty and their arm strength means little at that level

Hey...you forget the biggest flop in NFL history who was recently released from prison...Ryan Leaf ;-)

Arm strength is not everything but its still one of the top five most important attributes of a QB. Lack of arm strength limits your play book. Doesnt allow you to throw deep balls, and deep out and in routes. Arm strength gives you more zip and the ball get there faster not allowing the defenders to close the gap as fast. Im not saying Eduoard is the savior. But people are comaring AJ now to Eduoard then. lol AJ has gotten thousands of meaningful reps in practice and games. Bad comparsion. Aj had a whole year with a D1 QB coach and has played in games. If Eduoard was in the same situation it would be different. I was not impressed with AJ Long's high school highlights. Weak small school competition. Eduoard made throws against top notched large school secondaries and teams who DB's play 7v7 all year long across the country. His potential is higher in my opinion. But he is not here so this is all irrelevant but if he gets here lets give him a year of all the reps AJ got and see who's the best then. If AJ out works him then so be it. I like Dungey's film better than AJ's too but we will see, Im excited to see who emerges.

If the coaches didn't feel AJ could play the position, they wouldn't have burned his redshirt. They had Wilson, and Kimble who were redshirt freshmen, but apparently weren't satisfied with their ability to run the offense.

In other words a QB good enough to be a first round draft pick? Sign me up.

Honestly, I just figured I'd play devil's advocate. I just want a QB whose capable and can lead SU to an upper level bowl or two.

Arm strength is not everything but its still one of the top five most important attributes of a QB. Lack of arm strength limits your play book. Doesnt allow you to throw deep balls, and deep out and in routes. Arm strength gives you more zip and the ball get there faster not allowing the defenders to close the gap as fast. Im not saying Eduoard is the savior. But people are comaring AJ now to Eduoard then. lol AJ has gotten thousands of meaningful reps in practice and games. Bad comparsion. Aj had a whole year with a D1 QB coach and has played in games. If Eduoard was in the same situation it would be different. I was not impressed with AJ Long's high school highlights. Weak small school competition. Eduoard made throws against top notched large school secondaries and teams who DB's play 7v7 all year long across the country. His potential is higher in my opinion. But he is not here so this is all irrelevant but if he gets here lets give him a year of all the reps AJ got and see who's the best then. If AJ out works him then so be it. I like Dungey's film better than AJ's too but we will see, Im excited to see who emerges.

You need a certain level of arm strength to play college football and everything else after that is where the real evaluation occurs. Similar to recruiting a guy to pitch at D1 level in baseball. You need to see at least 86-88 then you start looking at other things and seeing where he truly falls in the massive amount of D1 level athletes.

I don't necessarily agree it prevents deep balls just b/c an average arm strength collegiate QB can throw those. I would say Long has avg arm strength, for example.

My question to you, is why is Edouard's upside higher if he has played against high level competition and likely received better coaching? He has seen that level of talent and used bad mechanics to succeed (Bridgewater was better mechanically and its not close). Mechanics take time to fix or can doom a QB (Jonny Miller's hitch comes to my mind here). Why does he have more upside then a lean PA/TN product who has solid mechanics, better accuracy and just needs strength? For me, the differing tools here are Long's accuracy vs. Edouard's arm strength. I have always felt it is easier to get someone to throw harder (through weight lifting and throwing programs) as opposed to throwing accurately.

I think comparisons of AJ and Edouard are kind of pointless b/c some fans have written off Long for playing with no OL or WR's in the ACC as a true frosh. True frosh rarely, if ever, succeed as true passers in year 1. I hope Alin makes it and is able to make it a competition, b/c the 2 of them are better then anything currently on the roster, IMO.

You need a certain level of arm strength to play college football and everything else after that is where the real evaluation occurs. Similar to recruiting a guy to pitch at D1 level in baseball. You need to see at least 86-88 then you start looking at other things and seeing where he truly falls in the massive amount of D1 level athletes.

I don't necessarily agree it prevents deep balls just b/c an average arm strength collegiate QB can throw those. I would say Long has avg arm strength, for example.

My question to you, is why is Edouard's upside higher if he has played against high level competition and likely received better coaching? He has seen that level of talent and used bad mechanics to succeed (Bridgewater was better mechanically and its not close). Mechanics take time to fix or can doom a QB (Jonny Miller's hitch comes to my mind here). Why does he have more upside then a lean PA/TN product who has solid mechanics, better accuracy and just needs strength? For me, the differing tools here are Long's accuracy vs. Edouard's arm strength. I have always felt it is easier to get someone to throw harder (through weight lifting and throwing programs) as opposed to throwing accurately.

I think comparisons of AJ and Edouard are kind of pointless b/c some fans have written off Long for playing with no OL or WR's in the ACC as a true frosh. True frosh rarely, if ever, succeed as true passers in year 1. I hope Alin makes it and is able to make it a competition, b/c the 2 of them are better then anything currently on the roster, IMO.
Why do people say AJ is accurate? LOL I dont see it. He's a average thrower. Nothing in his game tells me he is extremely accurate. You have to be great with your legs if you are gonna have average accuracy. AJ didnt show me enough. I dont care if he didnt have the starting O line with him. To answer your question, AJ doesnt have great mechanics or accuracy IMO thats why I see more upside in AE.

Why do people say AJ is accurate? LOL I dont see it. He's a average thrower. Nothing in his game tells me he is extremely accurate. You have to be great with your legs if you are gonna have average accuracy. AJ didnt show me enough. I dont care if he didnt have the starting O line with him. To answer your question, AJ doesnt have great mechanics or accuracy IMO thats why I see more upside in AE.

Totally agree.

Just rewatched both Edouard's and Long's recruiting videos. For me, Long's feet were much better, stayed on the balls off his feet and had slow movements within the pocket. Edouard was louder and got on his heel at times. Alin is also a short-armer. After rewatching these videos again, the difference in arm strength wasn't as big as I remembered. Both are avg arm strength guys w/ Alin more avg+ and Long solid avg.

Edouard is a significantly better guy outside of the pocket and its not close. Long-strider w/ acceleration. I do think Lester values that less then McDonald though.

I hope I am wrong. I would just like to see us get average QB play for a change. I think Long is the better probability to do that, but I hope Alin can do it the way everyone thinks he can.

I will like to evaluate Alin after a spring, summer and fall of valuable reps. Like AJ did. Then I can compare them