People act like we can't score!!! | Syracusefan.com

People act like we can't score!!!

Antz201

Scout Team
Unreal when I watch these so called experts say Indiana is 5th in offense and Syracuse is 95th... If it wasn't for all the clutch and grab, we would be top 20 to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we can't score... we could play 5 on 0 and if dunks weren't allowed I bet our shooting percentage would be well under 40%.

Let's try not to put lipstick on a pig... this is one of the most horrific offensive teams I can remember. Thank god for the zone.

People that are saying that sure as hell didn't watch the game where you dropped 80 (?) And were hitting everything. Granted, every shot isn't going to go in, but I'd also imagine lack of points is due to the 2/3 zone you employ on defense, making teams use almost the whole shot clock, which in the end equals both teams scoring less points. Fact is, to win, all ya gotta do is score at least 1 more point than the other team when the game ends. Boom. Basic Madden Analysis 101. Boom! Go Griz! Go Orange!

Another reason our offense ranks so low is that every team we play tries to slow it down against us. For years people made fun of the Big Ten for its slow it down, grind it out pace. Unfortunately the Big East has (or more fittingly "had") become the worst culprit of this style of play. If not for our OOC schedule we'd probably only average 60 pts per game.

Love the fact that Indiana thinks they can run us off the court when that is out specialty... Our Weakness Is when teams slow it down, watch Indiana slow it down after they are down 10 quickly... I have never seen a team go up and down the court with us and have us struggle...

Our offense is horrible. We have ZERO post game, and if MCW or Triche can't beat their guy off the dribble our offense struggles. C.J. Fair and James Southerland are good for spacing the floor, but can't create their shots. We need a post player akin to Rick Jackson. The bigs Christmas/Keita ALWAYS come to the perimeter and set picks which are great, but always bring an extra defender onto MCW because neither defender has to respect Keita/Christmas shooting the ball. The bigs need to stay down low and try to give guards the lanes to penetrate and pass. I would ALWAYS use Southerland as the screener and if his defender hedges you can pass back to Southerland for 3(this is exactly what we did against Pitt, Georgetown, and Louisville in the BET).

Unreal when I watch these so called experts say Indiana is 5th in offense and Syracuse is 95th... If it wasn't for all the clutch and grab, we would be top 20 to say the least.

We are 20th. Indiana is 1st. Stats that don't adjust for tempo are worthless.

This will certainly be interesting because if the game is a high tempo up and down affair then it will address one of our big weaknesses, scoring in the half court. It will also address a major concern of Indiana- scoring against the zone. This game could very well play out like a track meet and the most important factors will be transition defense and rebounding.

We can score, but we're good for one ginormous 2nd half drought per game.

The offense goes as Triche and Southerland go. Triche is sooo inconsistent. When he is making shots we look like a million bucks. He has a lot of games where he can't make anything. You never know what you're going to get. The zone D has been very good all year. Don't forget that IU has a freshman PG who has never experienced anything like what he is going to see tonight. The D will keep us in the game. We are vulnerable to a good press but IU doesn't play that way. I keep waiting for MCW to have a great game. If BT and James make shots we win...if not we go home.

We miss a lot of shots but also look here, we make up for it.

Offensive rebounding leaders
1 1 531 Syracuse Big East 37
2 1 530 Prairie View A&M SWAC 34
3 1 501 Minnesota Big Ten 34
4 1 493 Colorado State Mountain West 35
5 1 492 Virginia Commonwealth A-10 36
6 1 491 Quinnipiac NEC 31
7 2 488 Cincinnati Big East 34
7 1 488 North Carolina ACC 36
9 3 485 Louisville Big East 36
10 1 480 Morehead State Ohio Valley 33

I think a huge key stat for us will be turnover margin. Force IU to play in the halfcourt and beat our zone. If they run, okay, but that will speed up the tempo. If we force more turnovers it could lead to easy baskets for us and transition threes from James.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of a track meet and it's not just lack of depth that I'm worried about. Our guys run like deer but our guards are not good finishers on the break. They're not even average finishers yet they don't hesitate to take it 1-on-however many defenders are back.

If its an up and down fast tempo, the player who benefits the most is James. Its harder to identify a shooter on the fast break, especially when he is 6-8. There is no-way Crean wants James shooting open jump shots all night. You could easily have another Arkansas like game from James , if they give him a lot of open opportunities.

Because we can't score... we could play 5 on 0 and if dunks weren't allowed I bet our shooting percentage would be well under 40%.

If Christmas or Carter-Williams are dunking, it still might be 40%.

You can often make stats say what you want them to, so take this for what it's worth: while Syracuse was 8th in scoring in conference games (65.3 PPG), against everyone not named Georgetown (#4 in defensive efficiency according to Ken Pomeroy), they averaged 68.1 PPG, which would have been good for 5th, slightly behind Marquette, who averaged 68.3 PPG. I'm not saying that Syracuse is a great, or even a good offensive team, but aside from those stinkers against G'Town, they actually played decent offensively in conference play. I doubt we blow the doors off IU tonight, but I think people are selling the offense a little short.

Christmas/Keita ALWAYS come to the perimeter and set picks which are great, but always bring an extra defender onto MCW because neither defender has to respect Keita/Christmas shooting the ball

I thought I was alone in that assessment. I think I recall just ONCE that either Rak or BMK was passed the ball in these cases. I figured since they are both fumble-fingered (getting better admittedly) it made sense.

I wonder what the stats would say if they are adjusted for teams taking 30 secs to shoot every time we play.

I think a huge key stat for us will be turnover margin. Force IU to play in the halfcourt and beat our zone. If they run, okay, but that will speed up the tempo. If we force more turnovers it could lead to easy baskets for us and transition threes from James.

A little "did you know" while waiting for tonight's game...

Did you know that Cody Zeller has turned the ball over 32 times in the past 8 games?! (Including 6 turnovers last game to Temple, and 6 turnovers 5 games ago to Michigan.)

That's an average of 4 turnovers per game! For a center! How does he even have the ball enough time to turn it over that much?

If I'm SU, I'm letting all our players know about that. And encouraging them to go for the steal when possible when Zeller gets the ball.

And their other big guy, Watford, has also had a 6 turnover game this season! (6 turnovers vs Illinois! Although he's been better recently.)

Not sure why their bigs can turn the ball over so much, but I like it!

Henny: As has been pointed out on this board, Zeller has a tendency to shuffle his feet (and get away with it lately)...Also, from what I've seen he tends to dribble into traffic a lot. Maybe it's something we can exploit.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of a track meet and it's not just lack of depth that I'm worried about. Our guys run like deer but our guards are not good finishers on the break. They're not even average finishers yet they don't hesitate to take it 1-on-however many defenders are back.
I disagree in that I think MCW is a good finisher on the break. More often than not he makes the pass for the easy bucket in the fast break situation. Brandon can finish sometimes, other times he ends up a few inches short and out of momentum by the time he is going to the rim. The next time BT gets an assist on the break may be his first. Not sure I've ever seen him dish off on the break other than a few alley oop oops that went astray.

I disagree in that I think MCW is a good finisher on the break. More often than not he makes the pass for the easy bucket in the fast break situation. Brandon can finish sometimes, other times he ends up a few inches short and out of momentum by the time he is going to the rim. The next time BT gets an assist on the break may be his first. Not sure I've ever seen him dish off on the break other than a few alley oop oops that went astray.

wow, I disagree about MCW. Sure, he can pass it to someone but when he tries to finish on the break himself he either misses or gets stuffed. He has a tendency to not finish through contact and it's been a pattern all year long.

wow, I disagree about MCW. Sure, he can pass it to someone but when he tries to finish on the break himself he either misses or gets stuffed. He has a tendency to not finish through contact and it's been a pattern all year long.
I agree when MCW drives in the 1/2 court he has a hard time finishing, but I guess I consider a PG making a dish on the break still finishing. On the fast break MCW usually makes the pass.

I agree when MCW drives in the 1/2 court he has a hard time finishing, but I guess I consider a PG making a dish on the break still finishing. On the fast break MCW usually makes the pass.

I agree that he makes great passes on the break but when he tries to finish on the break (or in the halfcourt, as you said) he's terrible at it. I guess we are actually in agreement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom