People begged JB to switch the starters. He did. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

People begged JB to switch the starters. He did.

Not sure who you are responding to, but that was not the 'big takeaway'.

My point is, people complained about this incessantly for the past 1, 2, 3, weeks or whatever, and JB finally did it. Why, I don't know. And, we played perhaps the worst we have all season. And. Brown was only OK. About the same as he has been for a couple games straight.

Guess my big takeaway is us internet warriors really don't know anything.

But, with Joe not willing to step up this game, and Jesse really just playing terribly, who started didn't matter.

People complaining about Brown not starting was in the title of my OP, but the actual OP mentioned 8 problem areas, 7 of which were not Brown.

So, not just about Brown.

To your point, I think (hope) we are knocking on February's door and the rotation is still a work in progress.

To your point, I think (hope) we are knocking on February's door and the rotation is still a work in progress.
Exactly. I made a mistake associating Brown to the problem. He most certainly was not. I just don't think that lineup switch was the solution people imagined it would be.

Whomever was in the lineup from 16:16 to 12 minutes in the 2nd created the best positive slope for us on the gametracker.

1675000382856.png

Right, the dude spent the past hour wailing that JB should be fired. I’m sure he’s good now.
This week in your board rule book you have stated we can’t talk about JB’s job and we can’t talk about the officials. Weird.

Might not want to look at Twitter if I were you. There’s someone who created a FJB Twitter handle and they are going crazy with it. I wish I could take credit for it, but I can’t.

I stand by everything I posted last night. This program needs major changes and needed them years ago.

This week in your board rule book you have stated we can’t talk about JB’s job and we can’t talk about the officials. Weird.

Might not want to look at Twitter if I were you. There’s someone who created FJB Twitter handle and they are going crazy with it. I wish I could take credit for it, but I can’t.

I stand by everything I posted last night. This program needs major changes and needed them years ago.
Also can’t talk about Pitino!

Might not want to look at Twitter if I were you. There’s someone who created a FJB Twitter handle and they are going crazy with it. I wish I could take credit for it, but I can’t.

Why would anyone want to look at Syracuse (or anything) Twitter?

Actually we begged him to retire. Let us know when he obliges.
It’s really too bad. He had multiple chances to go out on a “high”.

He’s stayed WAY too long, and now the program sucks, the attendance is the worst I’ve ever seen it, and pretty much everyone is frustrated and can’t wait for him to leave. Sad ending, that didn’t have to happen.

Exactly. I made a mistake associating Brown to the problem. He most certainly was not. I just don't think that lineup switch was the solution people imagined it would be.

Whomever was in the lineup from 16:16 to 12 minutes in the 2nd created the best positive slope for us on the gametracker.

View attachment 224557
Last year we got burned by teams making three's...middle school kids today can make three's...JB appeased the fans this year by saying"we'll play some M to M"...complete crap! ...teams shoot the ball too well to play zone all the time and smart coaches know how to beat it ...how many VT three's last night were taken with no one within 10 feet of them? He is so stubborn and will never switch because he cannot be wrong!

I’m not a mod and I never said you shouldn’t talk about JB’s job. I’ve been here saying for years that SU should have forced him out after 2016 and the second probation. I do think throwing a temper tantrum for hours is tedious.

I am not going to presume to tell people what to feel but here's where I am at and why...

I turned the game off a few minutes into the 2nd half when the writing was clearly on the wall... and watched a USMNT friendly vs. Colombia instead (which was a really good game, btw!)

I wasn't mad or frustrated and SU getting blown out didn't ruin my night. A little sad, but it was water off a ducks back.

I have morphed into a casual fan now.

And it's been a breath of fresh air since I adjusted the one thing I can control - My perception.

I have realized and accepted that this is JB's program... It's not the university's, or the fans, or anyone else's. JB will do with it what he wants with it on his own terms, including selecting his successor(s) on whatever timeline he deems appropriate.There's nothing any of us can do about it, barring a mass, ugly public revolt against JB. I don't think anyone really wants that (at least I don't), but that is really the only option to force change at this point IMHO, and it's not a good one.

For me, at least, it's just easier to care less.

Turn games off when the bad losses occur and not let the general malaise in the state of the program wind me up. There's nothing I can do about it except ACCEPT it... and ratchet back both my expectations and emotional connection as a fan.

I decided to not be a rabid fan anymore.

Maybe that's a little sad, but it's what works for me. Honestly, it makes things a lot easier with a program caught in static, systemic decline with no prospect for needed change.

Nothing is ever Jims fault. The zone is still relevant. We just need to make a few more shots, rebound better. This is his best class ever. It just takes time. Please dont question anything believe in the system we are close.

Nothing is ever Jims fault. The zone is still relevant. We just need to make a few more shots, rebound better. This is his best class ever. It just takes time. Please dont question anything believe in the system we are close.
Who on earth is saying that? No one on this board is.

Do we think the line-up change is permanent? Is this the beginning of the end of some minutes for some players? Monday will be interesting.
Well JB laid his reasoning out there, but maybe Benny tears it up in practice today and regains his starting spot. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's a little sad, but it's what works for me. Honestly, it makes things a lot easier with a program caught in static, systemic decline with no prospect for needed change.
that pretty much described the majority of the fan base for all the reasons you put out there.

It’s more than a little sad that the ones who make the decisions find reasons to keep paying him $4M a year for these results.

that pretty much described the majority of the fan base for all the reasons you put out there.

It’s more than a little sad that the ones who make the decisions find reasons to keep paying him $4M a year for these results.
Maybe they could like show another game or maybe even Yellowstone episodes on the shiny new scoreboard or something during the games, and give out free popcorn to get some people back in the building.

Wow that’s quite a change from talking about coaching until he’s 90 just yesterday, Mr consistency

I am not going to presume to tell people what to feel but here's where I am at and why...

I turned the game off a few minutes into the 2nd half when the writing was clearly on the wall... and watched a USMNT friendly vs. Colombia instead (which was a really good game, btw!)

I wasn't mad or frustrated and SU getting blown out didn't ruin my night. A little sad, but it was water off a ducks back.

And it's been a breath of fresh air since I adjusted the one thing I can control - My perception.

I have realized and accepted that this is JB's program... It's not the university's, or the fans, or anyone else's. JB will do with it what he wants with it on his own terms, including selecting his successor(s) on whatever timeline he deems appropriate.There's nothing any of us can do about it, barring a mass, ugly public revolt against JB. I don't think anyone really wants that (at least I don't), but that is really the only option to force change at this point IMHO, and it's not a good one.

Turn games off when the bad losses occur and not let the general malaise in the state of the program wind me up. There's nothing I can do about it except ACCEPT it... and ratchet back both my expectations and emotional connection as a fan.

Is this called Stockholm Syndrome?

Posts like this are why I get frustrated with John Wildhack. Wake up and see that your fanbase is shrinking and you are doing nothing.

Yeah, I expected us to be a losing team. You can see my Iggy prediction if anyone wants to confirm that.

The low expectation is very freeing. I just don't get impacted by the losing or poor performance, because all of my thoughts start with the premise that we aren't good to begin with. It's a lot less stressful. The bad stuff washes out.

It's been a fun season for me tbh.

Is this called Stockholm Syndrome?

Posts like this are why I get frustrated with John Wildhack. Wake up and see that your fanbase is shrinking and you are doing nothing.
He surely feels he can’t outright fire Boeheim or even ask him to step down.

But can he, like….piss him off so that he leaves? Like, show up at practice and start yelling instructions to guys that are “wrong”?

Schedule us for back to back games?

Let people on the court to chuck up scrubby halfcourters in their dirty shoes(wait, we already do that)…

Give the women’s team all the prime practice time slots and prime home game dates?

Call coach up at inconvenient times and ask stupid things like “why isnt Peter Carey starting? He’s the best dunker on the team in warmups? He’d get the crowd going and draw fans!”

Add on any other ideas.

’s more than a little sad that the ones who make the decisions find reasons to keep paying him $4M a year for these results.

They're paper tigers where the bball program is concerned. JW and board...

I think it's pretty clear at this point that JB has full control of the program and there is no accountability on his performance.

There is no way this goes on this long otherwise. It is what it is.

Maybe they could like show another game or maybe even Yellowstone episodes on the shiny new scoreboard or something during the games, and give out free popcorn to get some people back in the building.
They could always show old SU games

He surely feels he can’t outright fire Boeheim or even ask him to step down.

But can he, like….piss him off so that he leaves? Like, show up at practice and start yelling instructions to guys that are “wrong”?

Schedule us for back to back games?

Let people on the court to chuck up scrubby halfcourters in their dirty shoes(wait, we already do that)…

Give the women’s team all the prime practice time slots and prime home game dates?

Call coach up at inconvenient times and ask stupid things like “why isnt Peter Carey starting? He’s the best dunker on the team in warmups? He’d get the crowd going and draw fans!”

Add on any other ideas.
The idea that Coach Boeheim is bigger than the athletic director is a major problem.
It should be universally appalling to this board. I mean performance doesn’t even matter at that point if the coach is bigger than the AD.

If we were winning people wouldn’t be upset. We aren’t. The coach should have to make changes or be replaced.

I can’t believe people here accept this sht.
Some of us don't live vicariously through the program. I made better use of my Saturday night. It's clear that many of you need to turn off the TV and do the same.

Yeah, I expected us to be a losing team. You can see my Iggy prediction if anyone wants to confirm that.

The low expectation is very freeing. I just don't get impacted by the losing or poor performance, because all of my thoughts start with the premise that we aren't good to begin with. It's a lot less stressful. The bad stuff washes out.

It's been a fun season for me tbh.

I mean you can always have an odd blowout loss on occasion - it's college bball after all (horror DePaul loss comes to mind).

That said, I used watch our losses with rabid piss and vinegar... We had the players to compete but would get sidled with Higgins and crew letting a Dixon or Pitino team hand check the crap out of us for a win. We were competitive but had to take our lumps in hard fought losses.

A game like yesterday... Where we simply aren't competitive from the tip. Not a game worth watching.

Another factor...I REALLY miss the old Big East. It's clear we are a filler team in the ACC and another UNC home court loss with terrible, biased officiating hammered that home this week as well. I don't feel at home in the ACC and probably never will... That also factors into my perception. Not a fan of this league at all, but change happens (sometimes anyways.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom