PERSPECTIVE: Ran into a UVA fan b4 the game! | Syracusefan.com

PERSPECTIVE: Ran into a UVA fan b4 the game!

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
We got to talking as he was heading to his SU alum gf's house to watch the game.
He talked about how painful the loss to us had been, how it'd taken days to finally sleep peacefully, and how putting it all in perspective, i.e.; an Elite 8 appearance, had settled him down.
During and after the game, I was strangely at peace. No ranting, screaming, cussing- which is my norm on game day. I was so incredibly PROUD and a little in awe, of what this team, THIS TEAM, had accomplished. There was nothing likeable about this team, or this season, early on. But this run, THIS RUN, will be one of my fav memories in my long association w/ Cuse bball.
The UVA fan sounded like us when we go into a tournament as a favorite, and then get ousted by the Butler's,Dayton's, and Vermonts of the world.
It was so much fun being on the other side of that- as a very high seed making an unexpected, inexplicable run in the Dance.
Nothing can ever take that away...ever! LGO

That is a great perspective--if I could "like" it twice I would. In fact, even though his loss was a full week ago, the pain will still last longer than ours from last night (I'm actually over it already).

In over the lose because u Didn't expect us to win. I thought we could make it a game.

Maybe of we hit more FT's it would have been competitive at the very end.

Virginia's a great defensive team, but not a great offensive team. And they don't like to run. That wound up costing them the game (we sped them up and went on a run).

UNC has no such limitation. They kill you in the half-court with their size and front line skill. And if you turn it over (or speed them up by pressing), they kill you in transition. We had no answer for Johnson or Meeks (again). And Jackson might be the biggest x-factor for them .. he's long, but very mobile. Not a known 3pt threat, but he can hit an open three, get long rebounds and he's devastating in transition. They have so many quality bigs it's absolutely silly ... I mean, a team with Kennedy Meeks, Bryce Johnson, James AND Hicks? Are you kidding me?

I think Nova's a very skilled team, excellent defense and great shooters. But UNC's size and depth just wears people down. I think it's UNC in the title game ... then we wait for the NCAA shoe to drop.

Last edited:
If I was Uva fan, I would never get over that loss, this was their year, and they blew a 16 point lead. As for us, I was a little upset last night, just because when you get this close to a title, its hard losing. I am over it now, and so satisfied with the last three weeks.

We got to talking as he was heading to his SU alum gf's house to watch the game.
He talked about how painful the loss to us had been, how it'd taken days to finally sleep peacefully, and how putting it all in perspective, i.e.; an Elite 8 appearance, had settled him down.
During and after the game, I was strangely at peace. No ranting, screaming, cussing- which is my norm on game day. I was so incredibly PROUD and a little in awe, of what this team, THIS TEAM, had accomplished. There was nothing likeable about this team, or this season, early on. But this run, THIS RUN, will be one of my fav memories in my long association w/ Cuse bball.
The UVA fan sounded like us when we go into a tournament as a favorite, and then get ousted by the Butler's,Dayton's, and Vermonts of the world.
It was so much fun being on the other side of that- as a very high seed making an unexpected, inexplicable run in the Dance.

Yup

If there is a good way to lose from a fan perspective this game was it.

If it's close, like the Michigan final four loss, you'll be agonizing over missed shots or bad calls for years. If it's a big blowout, like OU last night, it taints the whole final four experience. If it's like the IU loss in 87, it kinda never goes away.

Any loss sucks, but last night was a game we just were not winning. There is no call or two that would have swung it. There was not shot that could have changed everything. There was no painful UNC bank shot that killed momentum.

I was over it before it ended. I slept well, and I will always remember 2016 well.

Bottom line the team turned a forgettable year into one we will always remember fondly. They gave us an awesome Thanksgiving, a historic win at Cameron, and the most surprising NCAA run in our programs history leading to just the 6th Final Four we've ever had. Pretty darn awesome.

Bottom line the team turned a forgettable year into one we will always remember fondly. They gave us an awesome Thanksgiving, a historic win at Cameron, and the most surprising NCAA run in our programs history leading to just the 6th Final Four we've ever had. Pretty darn awesome.

Beating Uconn and Duke in the same season is never a bad thing.

Winning when unexpected is always more enjoyable. Being the favorite is hard and takes a lot of joy out of the whole thing -- much as everyone wants their team to be the favorite. The pressure on the favorite is a killer. If you win it was expected and unless you won convincingly it is not good enough just to win. And if you lose, you're crushed. This run was pure joy.

Winning when unexpected is always more enjoyable. Being the favorite is hard and takes a lot of joy out of the whole thing -- much as everyone wants their team to be the favorite. The pressure on the favorite is a killer. If you win it was expected and unless you won convincingly it is not good enough just to win. And if you lose, you're crushed. This run was pure joy.

Sometimes when you are the big favorite, winning is more of a relief than anything else.

Houston, I have no problem with your sentiment!!

Agreed. I was bummed last night but am totally fine today. I think once you get to the banner portion of the Tournament, you're not devastated when your season ends.

UVA had a Championship caliber team and lost in the Elite 8. Nobody cares about Elite 8's and that's tough to take.

I was watching Gill last night when he came onto the court for that recognition group and could see him taking it all in and thinking, I should be here.

Our guys played hard to be here and deserved it, but I did feel for him, even if it was for just a minute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom