Perspective | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

As a diehard Syracuse fan, I'd like to look at those examples and draw a relatively similar parallel to SU. However, it's a way bigger hill to climb for SU than for those schools. Those school's are their respective state's Flagship institutions, so money, funding, and everything that goes with that is a different ballgame...as is the all important recruiting/base. I hope we can get the program back to respectability, but I just don't see us playing for a league championship any time soon, if ever, let alone a national championship.

It's a daunting realization, but it's reality. Even though we are so incredibly fortunate SU miraculously landed in a Power 5 conference, the fact that we are a small private institution with relatively limited funds, etc., it's like a fish out of water, other than ND, and a very select few other privates.
i agree with most of what u say. however duke,northwestern, vanderbilt miami,baylor are similiar maybe even smaller in some cases and they have remained somewhat respectable.
they said, their academics dwarf us. they also have prestigious medical and law schools. i am not sure what the correlation is or even if there is one. it does beg the question why do they have more relative success??
i know the chancellor is trying to enhance the law school which was in desperate need of an overhaul. i wish su would partner with suny in some area such as medical school. we partner with esf in some respect. i may be way off base in this but there does seem to be a remote connection as obscure as it seems.

The key to winning is having the support of the administration. Clemson was pretty average for a long time. We didn't recruit very well. We'd consistently lose to teams we shouldn't and beat an occasional team that was better than us. This started to turn when got a passionate coach (which you guys have) and the full support of the administration (which I don't think you guys have). Clemson spent tons of money on new facilities and amenities that kids love. The school gave Dabo the resources to hire a great staff and he did that (Clemson has the second highest assistant staff salary in the country). It took a few years but we started getting better recruits, which in turn led to more wins. Syracuse has this capability but the school has to be fully committed to it.

Just my two cents...

The key to winning is having the support of the administration. Clemson was pretty average for a long time. We didn't recruit very well. We'd consistently lose to teams we shouldn't and beat an occasional team that was better than us. This started to turn when got a passionate coach (which you guys have) and the full support of the administration (which I don't think you guys have). Clemson spent tons of money on new facilities and amenities that kids love. The school gave Dabo the resources to hire a great staff and he did that (Clemson has the second highest assistant staff salary in the country). It took a few years but we started getting better recruits, which in turn led to more wins. Syracuse has this capability but the school has to be fully committed to it.

Just my two cents...

Yes, and the key to that capability is the willingness of NY State, corporations, wealthy alumni, and fans to provide the funds -- so SU can also spend tons of money. It isn't the administration or the school that will write the big checks. So ask a different question -- how will the sources of money respond to a Campaign to enhance SU's football facilities, pay for amenities that players love, etc? Here is a hint -- it was slow going when the appeal went out to fund the IPF.

Yes, and the key to that capability is the willingness of NY State, corporations, wealthy alumni, and fans to provide the funds -- so SU can also spend tons of money. It isn't the administration or the school that will write the big checks. So ask a different question -- how will the sources of money respond to a Campaign to enhance SU's football facilities, pay for amenities that players love, etc? Here is a hint -- it was slow going when the appeal went out to fund the IPF.
That is the key no question.

Just my two cents...

Truth is we don't know about the "full support of the administration" yet. It's been a lot of years where that was a definitive "no" ... but our new Chancellor and new AD seem to be more forward thinking than the last few. The new IPF last year and a bunch of new recruiting hires this year.

We'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom