Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards

We need the football strength and conditioning folks to take Carey into their program, put 20-25 pounds of meat and muscle on him. Actually would be helpful for our other centers as well. Or not...what do I know.

You guys latch on to literally every single player that have their shoes touching the floor and think he’s the next best thing. Reading some of these comments I forget you’re talking about Carey.
Im reading, hey they arent afraid to throw the ball to him...yikes, are standards are low and its probably accurate when compared to Hima

You know who was absolutely awful as a freshman? Rony Seikaly, except that Rony was a good soccer player. Rony would pick up 3 fouls in 5 minutes. Be out of control, but then do something great. It was towards the end of his sophomore year (3rd year as he was a redshirt) that he started to be a true impact player. His footwork became amazing under the tutelage of Bernie Fine.

I see some of the stuff PC does and wonder if he dedicates himself to strength and conditioning and stays healthy, could he be a player and evolve like Seikaly? Can he develop the footwork and drop steps like Seikaly?

Something to ponder….wonder if AG would like to spend the summer with BF and PC in Florida?
I, uh, I mean, I think this is kinda improbable but I admire your ability to dream big.

I'm just happy he threw down some fun dunks.

Im reading, hey they arent afraid to throw the ball to him...yikes, are standards are low and its probably accurate when compared to Hima
Oh absolutely the standard is low.

But in our recent history, outside of Jesse, the bigs don't see the ball at all unless it's an offensive rebound.

Thin at the 4/5 for sure. Maliq as complimentary? I guess, but only if you're defining that as a player who's not going to make an All-ACC team and doesn't create his own offense. Otherwise, he leads this team in basically every advanced metric and is putting up close to double figures on 70+ percent shooting with a usage rate of just 14%. He's not perfect and I don't know that he's going to be the lead dog offensively here at any point, but he's a special player.

McCleod was unplayable in this particular system. He's probably an intriguing guy if healthy and if we can find a way to keep him close to the basket. When he's on the perimeter its not pretty.

Carey is a bit player for this year for sure, but he has interesting athleticism and aggressiveness. Not sure what the future holds for him, but I'm intrigued to see him get a handful of minutes going forward. There might be something there.

But yes, at this point we're really thin at the 5 in particular.
Yep. Agree.

Maliq has been GREAT. Complimentary in that he does not create his own O but knows how to move and get to the right spots to get bunnies, a big reason why he's shooting where he is. When Q and Judah drive and create, it creates great opportunities. Even Benny got four easy looks in the second half of NC State from that.

You know who was absolutely awful as a freshman? Rony Seikaly, except that Rony was a good soccer player. Rony would pick up 3 fouls in 5 minutes. Be out of control, but then do something great. It was towards the end of his sophomore year (3rd year as he was a redshirt) that he started to be a true impact player. His footwork became amazing under the tutelage of Bernie Fine.

I see some of the stuff PC does and wonder if he dedicates himself to strength and conditioning and stays healthy, could he be a player and evolve like Seikaly? Can he develop the footwork and drop steps like Seikaly?

Something to ponder….wonder if AG would like to spend the summer with BF and PC in Florida?
Just stop. Seikaly played 25 minutes per game as a freshman, and averaged 8.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks. He was far from awful.

Just stop. Seikaly played 25 minutes per game as a freshman, and averaged 8.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks. He was far from awful.
How many mins has Carey played all season, 40?

From your lips…

There's a reason he has played sparingly.
Conference stats, both redshirt sophomores:
Player A: 51 minutes, 0-2 FGA, 11 TRB (12.9/100 poss), 2 blocks, 11 PF (12.9/100 poss), 86.4 Ortg, 106.5 Drtg
Player B: 33 minutes, 3-9 FGA, 6 TRB, (10/100 poss 2 blocks, 10 PF (16.6/100 poss), 86 ORtg, 109.2 Drtg

Player A is (Chinonso Obokoh)
Player B is (Peter Carey)

Last edited:
Carey is a role player - he is not horrible and he isn't really good yet either. What he isn't is he isn't afraid to body people up and provide a least some defense with physicality, something this team solely lacks. He at least more often than not makes people earn a bucket. A lot of our guys don't.
And he has good mobility, jumping out force double team, and getting back to his man on defense.
He needs to get stronger, and playing time.
He might end up being a good player.

No way!
I was told freshman bigs are always finished products, and if they don't produce immediately they're considered busts. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Player A: 51 minutes, 0-2 FGA, 11 TRB (12.9/100 poss), 2 blocks, 11 PF (12.9/100 poss), 86.4 Ortg, 106.5 Drtg
Player B: 33 minutes, 3-9 FGA, 6 TRB, (10/100 poss 2 blocks, 10 PF (16.6/100 poss), 86 ORtg, 109.2 Drtg
Carey is Player B. I have no idea who the other guy is. Doesn't seem to be any recent SU player.

Does anyone teach/use drop steps anymore? Sadly, it's a lost art.

Player A is (Chinonso Obokoh)
Player B is (Peter Carey)
FWIW, which ain't much, I never saw it with Obokoh, but when I squint can kind of see it with Carey.

Last edited:
FWIW, which ain't much, I never see it with Obokoh, but when I squint can kind of see it with Carey.
Carey shows enough to believe that he can at the very least, be serviceable in his role.
Again, not the 2nd coming of Olajuwan, but appears willing to mix it up, set screens, and moves well for his size.
Anything more would be a bonus, but suggesting that he's anything less w/out giving him a chance, would be a disservice. JMHO

Does anyone teach/use drop steps anymore? Sadly, it's a lost art.
If you are a big, a drop step and a baby hook with your dominant hand should be worked on every day of your life.

If you are a big, a drop step and a baby hook with your dominant hand should be worked on every day of your life.
Kareem literally made a living with the sky-hook. Can't figure out why big men like that kid at Purdue don't find a way to master it. They'd be unstoppable.

Weak side help defenses, zone defenses would eat it up. Plus it seems like a 7’ guy in college can’t walk and chew gum simultaneously.
True, today's big would have to be a great passer to pull it off. But the threat of an automatic deuce everytime you passed into the post would have any defense scrambling.

True, today's big would have to be a great passer to pull it off. But the threat of an automatic deuce everytime you passed into the post would have any defense scrambling.
There was a great scorer in the NBA who averaged 50 points a game one year.
Was told that he was just a scorer went out and led the NBA in assists as a center.
That was Wilt Chamberlain, he did that later in his career, so it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom