Petro To UNC | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

I'm guessing Odierna. It's been reported there has been "traction" with Caputo, and I think nyc said there had been contact between SU and Stevens.
I’m fascinated by this Caputo thing. He must really not want to stick around if Matt D is going to take over as head coach. Timing also makes sense with his kids now through the program.

He would bring a ton of knowledge about how to run a successful program. He’s learned under the best. Long Island guy with connections to emerging areas in the south. And I think he’s coached every position group.

Last edited:
Have to pay.

So I buckled and listened to this. Apologies if I am getting any of this aggregating incorrect, the show was two hours long(!!!), so I broke it up.

When asked who he thinks will end up with the job (apologies if I got the framing of this wrong), Chris thought it would be either Caputo or Stevens. Initially when asked he thinks it will be Galloway but then backtracks. I got the feeling he didn't understand the question at first.

Chris confirms nyc's "report" that there has been traction between Caputo and 'Cuse.

They posted a follow up podcast yesterday and discussed the position more. Again it's another two hour podcast (this one was free) and it wasn't just about Syracuse, so I jumped around. One of the hosts states that Caputo is gaining steam and mentions that Stevens and Crane are still in the running. Says Wellner is out. Not sure where they are getting their information (I assume Chris) so take it all with giant grain of salt. It was hard to tell how much of this was speculation and how much was actual hard fact.

Last interesting point is they bring up Oderina seemingly on their own, this was posted before Axe's tweet today. Doesn't say that there has been contact or anything, they just float it as an idea. Kind of interesting timing if you ask me, but I may be looking for things that aren't there.

Wonder if Wellner would consider Duke if Caputo left for Cuse? A Caputo move would probably create chaos at the assistant level around the country.

I’m fascinated by this Caputo thing. He must really not want to stick around if Matt D is going to take over as head coach. Timing also makes sense with his kids now through the program.

He would bring a ton of knowledge about how to run a successful program. He’s learned under the best. Long Island guy with connections to emerging areas in the south. And I think he’s coached every position group.
he has a son bound on playing his final year. if it's caputo, i will eat my hat.

he has a son bound on playing his final year. if it's caputo, i will eat my hat.

I don't know if Caputo is an actual finalist but not sure his son being in his final year will play that big a role in his decision. He's coached two others and has coached Jake for 4 years already.

I don't know if Caputo is an actual finalist but not sure his son being in his final year will play that big a role in his decision. He's coached two others and has coached Jake for 4 years already.
don't know what coached 2 others means, but on it mattering just means we disagree!

& availability is priority one when hiring in the coaches' ranks. imo.

don't know what coached 2 others means, but on it mattering just means we disagree!

& availability is priority one when hiring in the coaches' ranks. imo.

His two other sons who also went to Duke.

As for availability clearly he has some level of interest and vice versa, is it enough for both sides to actually reach agreement, your guess is as good as mine.

His two other sons who also went to Duke.

As for availability clearly he has some level of interest and vice versa, is it enough for both sides to actually reach agreement, your guess is as good as mine.
only brother is owen? maybe there was a cousin that played there.
we are talking about 3rd and 4th hand rumors of contact? unless it's been confirmed he interviewed? like i said... i'll eat my hat, have been wrong before.

we are talking about 3rd and 4th hand rumors of contact? unless it's been confirmed he interviewed? like i said... i'll eat my hat, have been wrong before.

Yes he only has 1 brother, not sure why I thought there was another.

His name's been brought up enough times by a number of different people where there appears to be some smoke. Again what level of interest each side has who knows my only point was that if he was a legit finalist I don't know how much his sons final year would hold up any type of deal.

I’d be surprised if it were Caputo, despite all the chatter. I guess I haven’t yet heard a compelling reason for why he would move to SU. Are they just going to offer him a ton of money? Does he have a close relationship with the Spallina family we aren’t aware of? Maybe he really doesn’t want to serve under Dano Jr, and not many ACC/Big 10 jobs come around, but that’s a lot of 3 dimensional chess to play. We shall see.

One last point, in their most recent pod the college crosse guys said that the “head coach in waiting” decree that Christ Jast had initially reported on wasn’t something SU was prioritizing anymore. Not really sure what that all meant in the first place but felt worth sharing.

I’d be surprised if it were Caputo, despite all the chatter. I guess I haven’t yet heard a compelling reason for why he would move to SU. Are they just going to offer him a ton of money? Does he have a close relationship with the Spallina family we aren’t aware of? Maybe he really doesn’t want to serve under Dano Jr, and not many ACC/Big 10 jobs come around, but that’s a lot of 3 dimensional chess to play. We shall see.

One last point, in their most recent pod the college crosse guys said that the “head coach in waiting” decree that Christ Jast had initially reported on wasn’t something SU was prioritizing anymore. Not really sure what that all meant in the first place but felt worth sharing.

Only scenario that makes sense is Caputo realizes Dano Jr is getting the job when the old man retires and with his last son in his final year he's looking for a new opportunity. As you noted that's a lot of 3 dimensional chess and seems unlikely but you can at least see a plausible scenario where he could/would make the jump. Stevens to me makes the most sense but hard to pull a guy from his alma mater but I think either would be a homerun.

there's been quite a bit of reporting that doesn't make a lot of sense on this. maybe it's what u get when your program has it's own media in lacrosse. sometimes, it's just chatter. i suspect the name will have been tossed around before the announcement.

If he is looking to be a head coach at a program someday he should probably stay put. He would have to have monumental success as a DC for that to happen. IMHO Duke has underachieved and is a program much more known for their Offense then defense

Last edited:
If he is looking to be a head coach at a program someday he should probably stay put. He would have to have monumental success as a DC for that to happen. IMHO Duke has underachieved and is a program much more known for their Offense then defense

They’ve been to the Final Four four times since he took over as DC. Can’t be all bad.

Last edited:
I may have some weird bias against Caputo since I can't help but judge how our team performed against his defense instead of looking at the whole schedule and how they did against everyone. We have pretty consistently diced up his defense. 15 gs in 2018, one stinker in 2019 with 9gs, 14 in 2021, 14 in 2022, 13 and 15 last season. But in some of those years they were quite efficient outside of our games. 2018 our 15 goals were actually the most they gave up all season, where they had a pretty insane 8.39 goals against average. That is really impressive in the ACC. Still under 10 goals against on average in 2019.

They did have a pretty bad year on defense in 2022, and this past season, despite a 16-3 record, they often needed their offense to save the day, with a lot of close results against good teams where they gave up goals in the mid teens but the offense put up big numbers to still win. Always a zillion questions you could ask. Was he a brilliant DC in 2018-19 or was that just the advantage of having JT Giles Harris and Van-Raphoorst in the line up? Is he in full control of the D or does Danowski have a major say in what they run? You can do this with every candidate. A negative may be that things have trended down in their defense since he started in 2018. But again, do you blame him for that or the tough task of replacing elite talent?

I would be much more excited with Taylor Wray or Jake Coon young promising coaches whose styles would fit what Gait is trying to create at SU. With all that said it’s upto Gary Gait I absolutely hated the Petro hire from day 1 and it played out exactly how I thought it would except the defense got worse.

I may have some weird bias against Caputo since I can't help but judge how our team performed against his defense instead of looking at the whole schedule and how they did against everyone. We have pretty consistently diced up his defense. 15 gs in 2018, one stinker in 2019 with 9gs, 14 in 2021, 14 in 2022, 13 and 15 last season. But in some of those years they were quite efficient outside of our games. 2018 our 15 goals were actually the most they gave up all season, where they had a pretty insane 8.39 goals against average. That is really impressive in the ACC. Still under 10 goals against on average in 2019.

They did have a pretty bad year on defense in 2022, and this past season, despite a 16-3 record, they often needed their offense to save the day, with a lot of close results against good teams where they gave up goals in the mid teens but the offense put up big numbers to still win. Always a zillion questions you could ask. Was he a brilliant DC in 2018-19 or was that just the advantage of having JT Giles Harris and Van-Raphoorst in the line up? Is he in full control of the D or does Danowski have a major say in what they run? You can do this with every candidate. A negative may be that things have trended down in their defense since he started in 2018. But again, do you blame him for that or the tough task of replacing elite talent?

I have been having the same feelings regarding Caputo and I'm not sure why. I think it's because, even at Duke he flies pretty under the radar, almost like he gets taken for granted. I also agree that some of it is based on SU playing pretty well against Duke historically and we haven't really seen the Duke defense at it's best. I think in one of my game previews I referred to Duke being "arrogant" on defense. They do not like to slide and they seem to relish one on one matchups even when things look to be going sideways. I also don't think they've gotten the best goalie play, especially this year. Mike Adler for a few years may be the exception.

One thing I will give them credit for is putting super athletic players at SSDM. This year some of the best short stick play I saw came from Aidan McGuire and Jack Gray. Both are over six foot and can punish teams in transition. If there is one big issue I have seen from the defense for SU the past few years it is the inability for any coordinator to put, big, strong athletic players at SSDM. I don't think that would be an issue if Caputo were to come aboard.

Does anyone know who does the main recruiting for Duke? I know all coaches typically contribute but usually there is one who is most in charge among the assistants. Is it Caputo for Duke? One thing you can't take away from them is they recruit very well (duh).

I still lean towards Stevens at this juncture but how big of a deal would it be if SU were able to pry a top assistant away from a fellow ACC school? That school being Duke no less.

I have been having the same feelings regarding Caputo and I'm not sure why. I think it's because, even at Duke he flies pretty under the radar, almost like he gets taken for granted. I also agree that some of it is based on SU playing pretty well against Duke historically and we haven't really seen the Duke defense at it's best. I think in one of my game previews I referred to Duke being "arrogant" on defense. They do not like to slide and they seem to relish one on one matchups even when things look to be going sideways. I also don't think they've gotten the best goalie play, especially this year. Mike Adler for a few years may be the exception.

One thing I will give them credit for is putting super athletic players at SSDM. This year some of the best short stick play I saw came from Aidan McGuire and Jack Gray. Both are over six foot and can punish teams in transition. If there is one big issue I have seen from the defense for SU the past few years it is the inability for any coordinator to put, big, strong athletic players at SSDM. I don't think that would be an issue if Caputo were to come aboard.

Does anyone know who does the main recruiting for Duke? I know all coaches typically contribute but usually there is one who is most in charge among the assistants. Is it Caputo for Duke? One thing you can't take away from them is they recruit very well (duh).

I still lean towards Stevens at this juncture but how big of a deal would it be if SU were able to pry a top assistant away from a fellow ACC school? That school being Duke no less.
UNC takes ours, We take Duke's, Duke pulls ND's, ND says screw that I am taking UVA's. :)

How to evaluate DCs? Caputo has a long history with a very fine top level team. Danowski would not have kept him around if he did not value his work. I agree he does not like sliding. Neither do I. Over the long term, I believe that's a solid approach. He leaves responsibility with his ssdms, trusts them to maintain position between goal and offensive player, and he has almost always trained exceptional longs. I would love to see statistics like first half - second half deltas to determine whether he adjusts over the course of a game. I wonder what he would do with lesser and smaller athletes. I think Petro's approach was to structure a protective scheme because of some pretty obvious holes the past two years. A sliding team always takes risks that many times leave open areas. The complexity can lead to cluster fs. Hops went years at the end of Petro's reign with much too complex defensive structures. His teams suffered for it. Same at SU. I'd love to see Caputo's influence on the Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom