Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belbey is redshirting this season so he can play as a grad transfer somewhere else for 2019-20.
If he is a walk on it wont matter. But i heard he wants to get his masters here which is why he is redshirting. But i think that only makes sense if he is on scholarship. If he is paying his own way the university would love him to stay for 7 years and it wouldnt matter. Here is the link to the article on him.

Syracuse basketball guard Shaun Belbey plans to redshirt this season

So i think he is on Scholarship

I saw a YouTube of him playing pickup with NBA players at Colorado springs Olympic tryouts he looked like one of them

The Syracuse roster says he is a junior.

Syracuse University
He is a junior with 3 years of eligibility commonly referred to as a redshirt sophomore. Played freshman year of ball at E Carolina sat out last year as a redshirt at Syracuse now playing his second of four this year at Syracuse

If he is a walk on it wont matter. But i heard he wants to get his masters here which is why he is redshirting. But i think that only makes sense if he is on scholarship. If he is paying his own way the university would love him to stay for 7 years and it wouldnt matter. Here is the link to the article on him.

Syracuse basketball guard Shaun Belbey plans to redshirt this season

So i think he is on Scholarship

Regardless of his scholarship situation this year, the only way he gets one here next year is if there is one remaining after we’ve gotten all of the recruited players the staff wants. JB sometimes uses extra scholarships to reward some of his loyal walk-ons. But I think the clear understanding is that is a one year thing, or at least one year at a time thing.

Here's my count for 2019. 1Washington 2Carey 3Buddy 4Hughes 5Sidebe 6Dolezaj 7Braswell 8Goodine 9Quincy G 10Joe G 11JBA so 2more spots. This assumes Oshae Battle and Chukwu leave. Also i dont exactly remember but i thought Belby got Scholarship last year. That is why he redshirt this year. Lets say he is still a walk on. That would mean best case scenario we have 2 spots. So if we get Stewart and Akok which is how we started this post we are now blocked out for 2020 recruits. And we are in play with higher rated recruits in 2020 like Scottie Barnes ( top 5 wing) Patterson even Jackson from City Rocks. Usually you love to have a Scholarship or two for following year. We would be in the uncomfortable position of only having a Scholarship if Stewart or Quincy 1and done or we kicked somebody off the team... sorry forced transfer (see Chino Obokwo, Ron Patterson) The one wildcard is Buddy. I cant understand why he is on scholarship. I thought he gets free ride as faculty child. My point is we are or will be extremely low on scholarships and tge incredible talent that we are looking at in 2020 are top 50 wings w two top 15wings that like us alot. Having seen JBA at high school level not comfortable saying he is a starter for us in ACC in Boehiem last two years smh. We gotta get two bigs for roster balance and to have some experience going into 2020. Even if we can somehow some way get Stewart we havecto get Kofi Quadus or Carrigan to play 5 also
As noted above we usually do not reach or exceed our scholarship limit. But since you asked and I have my roster handy: For '19 (the season after this one), assuming Tyus, Chewy and OB are gone, we'll have 11 on scholarship:

PG - Carey, Goodine, Washington and JGIII
SG/SF - Hughes, Buddy (could go off scholarship) and Guerrier
PF - Dolezaj and Braswell
C - JBA and Sidibe

There are 13 available, leaving two spots, or three if Buddy goes off scholarship (unlikely but possible). That means we could add Akok at the 4 - a position where PT is available, and Stewart at the 5 and not miss a beat. Stewart and Wahab are probably an either/or situation. If both come in (unlikely), Buddy would have to go off scholarship. Shirting JBA would not matter, as RS's count against the scholarship limit.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Yep
Except for a brief period during the DM era I think, the SU web site has listed the class based on eligibility, not based on academics. They must have just dropped the ball. You can't trust anyone any longer.

That said, Hughes would also be a candidate to pull a Tyus and leave after his junior season.

Totally relevant to the AA recruitment. He's clearly following the UConn program--you don't see that type of love for us.

Cusesky8214 does god's work on social media. Keep it coming.
Even though god has a twitter account, I'm pretty sure he/she does not approve of social media.

Totally relevant to the AA recruitment. He's clearly following the UConn program--you don't see that type of love for us.

Cusesky8214 does god's work on social media. Keep it coming.
Likes pretty much means nothing. I bet if a pretty girl likes your post on Facebook you think she likes you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.