Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every fan views their own school with rosy glasses.

Akok looked at both schools objectively and thought UConn was the better fit. Maybe he got along with the guys on the team, maybe he wants to stay in Connecticut, maybe playing time was his priority, etc.

While from a high level view, the ACC/JB/Dome seems like it would give us an edge, not all recruits are the same. There was a recruit recently (forgot who it was) who literally said he didn't care about conference. Each kid is different
These are all the typical reasons that we usually see when we whiff. If Akok walked away from UCONN thinking it's a better school for him (no matter the reason) then we didn't do a good enough job selling our school/fit as better.

L

Re-energized program (real or not) with a younger coach and a lot of history.

These kids grew up seeing Kemba Walker, they know about Uconn

Calhoun and the big east at that time. Both longgggg gone

As much as I dislike uconn...and I do, I've never understood the downplaying of them as a program. Sure there conference isnt the ACC but I'm not even sure kids care about that as much as in the past. They have nice facilities, passionate new coach and staff that has worked hard on the recruting trail this year, fanbase and history. I'm not sure what motivates kids these days to choose one school over another but I think we overplay the conference thing and HOF coach. Now please dont come at me like I'm a uconn lover because I'm not. I am 100% all orange and always have been. This is just my honest opinion and I feel like uconn unfortunately might end up being a thorn in our side once again a few years down the road. And I dont enjoy saying this.
If UCONN had joined the ACC and had a HOF coach, I'd actually buy this stance.

This place is gonna melt down if/when A2 goes to uconn and it’s gonna make me sad.

Calhoun and the big east at that time. Both longgggg gone
They won a ‘ship after Calhoun too. To be quite honest, we’ve not been too impressive (outside of 1 season) since the Big East collapsed either. Obviously we hadn’t fallen apart like uconn has, but this “edge” we have over uconn isnt as large as some people believe.

If UCONN had joined the ACC and had a HOF coach, I'd actually buy this stance.
Like I said...I think we overplay the ACC thing. That's not the only thing that appeals to kids and if u are a highly rated recruit with NBA dreams then ur gunna make it wherever u go. Not just syracuse. I personally love JB and he could do no wrong in my eyes but maybe some kids dont connect well with the old geezer? Uconn has a young fiery coach that's trying to prove himself. Every kid wants something different.

Like I said...I think we overplay the ACC thing. That's not the only thing that appeals to kids and if u are a highly rated recruit with NBA dreams then ur gunna make it wherever u go. Not just syracuse. I personally love JB and he could do no wrong in my eyes but maybe some kids dont connect well with the old geezer? Uconn has a young fiery coach that's trying to prove himself. Every kid wants something different.
If I wanted to make it to the NBA I'd pick a conference/team that made the tournament, played the top competition, and had more television coverage. That isn't UCONN.

If I wanted to make it to the NBA I'd pick a conference/team that made the tournament, played the top competition, and had more television coverage. That isn't UCONN.
Hurley gets a few top recruits and they will make the tournament. That's all kids carr about is having a chance to play in the dance. I dont think it's far fetched to think they will have a turnaround in the next couple years. Doubt they are just going to crumble.

UConn sucks. Nova leached us for years and now have an easier road because the harder teams left the conference. That's my theory as to why they have the titles they have. Some may disagree and that's fine to. I just don't think if it were the old Big East with Syracuse, Miami etc. that Nova would have the seed they had. Just my opinion.

Hurley gets a few top recruits and they will make the tournament. That's all kids carr about is having a chance to play in the dance. I dont think it's far fetched to think they will have a turnaround in the next couple years. Doubt they are just going to crumble.
They're not crumbling because they're landing the guys we're recruiting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.