Class of 2020 - PF Alex Tchikou (France/Brewster) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Alex Tchikou (France/Brewster)

That is probably wise, but this young man could turn in to a star. He would be a gamble.
If we didn’t take 5 freshman, i would have love to take a gamble like this.

If we didn’t take 5 freshman, i would have love to take a gamble like this.
I hear you, but I would still take the gamble.

Given our recent history of pulling guys from the portal that we had a previous relationship with, I'm going to say this guy is one to watch.
Lance Ware has much more game experience; if he enters the portal he’s who i expect Syracuse to pursue

Why does that matter?

If we have a 'ship, adding him is just like buying one more lotto ticket.
Jg3, sy, benny, jesse, frank, chaz (?), 5 freshman… only room for two transfers unless someone unexpectedly leaves. We need a high level wing and pg, no room for gambles unless we take away Chaz’s scholly. We all know JB won’t use 13 schollys.

only room for two transfers unless someone unexpectedly leaves.
If there's one thing I expect at the end of the season, at least for the last decade, is that people always leave. 13 schollies isn't a cap in any sense of the word. JAB (and most schools) very rarely ever use the full allotment.

Why does that matter?

If we have a 'ship, adding him is just like buying one more lotto ticket.
The obvious answer is because we’re in desperate need of someone that can play a significant role and it’s hard to depend on someone coming off a season in which they played 5 minutes.

I’d be happy to bring him in personally because I don’t really like the freshmen we’re bringing in but I highly doubt the staff sees it that way. Definitely keeping an eye on him though given our connections.

Jg3, sy, benny, jesse, frank, chaz (?), 5 freshman… only room for two transfers unless someone unexpectedly leaves. We need a high level wing and pg, no room for gambles unless we take away Chaz’s scholly. We all know JB won’t use 13 schollys.
The obvious answer is because we’re in desperate need of someone that can play a significant role and it’s hard to depend on someone coming off a season in which they played 5 minutes.

I’d be happy to bring him in personally because I don’t really like the freshmen we’re bringing in but I highly doubt the staff sees it that way. Definitely keeping an eye on him though given our connections.
I just suspect that given where JB is at now, he's more likely to pursue a guy that would make an unknown contribution that he knows than a guy that's more likely to make a more consistent contribution that he doesn't know.

The staff and JB love the class more than the fans.

The only way we go after a transfer forward is if Cole leaves and even that's not a given.

Better chance at getting a PG in the portal.
This. And I can't disagree more with the staff on this. After 16-17, we just can't take the risk that we )the coaches) are wrong about this freshman class.

This. And I can't disagree more with the staff on this. After 16-17, we just can't take the risk that we )the coaches) are wrong about this freshman class.
Exactly. Case in point Benny from their 1 man HS recruiting class the previous year, highest rated guy in a while and he was just lost and not up to the speed of the game.

That should be a lesson not to bank on guys who have not stepped foot on campus for formal team activities. Too much unknown. At least w a transfer you have a resume and tape at the college level.

They've been wrong about a lot of stuff related to recruiting in recent years.

Increasingly, they demonstrate that they do not have the finger on the pulse.

Forgot JBolAjak. So we have one available scholarship, not two.

We talk about fans needing to take off the orange shaded glasses but gahdamn do the coaches need to or what
yeah I mean...with the knowldege that they havent gotten it right much in player eval lately...the way to go is that the 13 schollies need to be filled with viable players...then let the chips fall where they may...

is someone like chaz actually going to play? does he have any chance of being a player for the team?

if not, then he shouldnt be on scholarship...i know jb loves the family narrative but this isnt a charity.

plus, his dad played in the NBA...im sure they can afford a year or two of tuition...

with a bunch of players on next year's roster questionable to be ready to contribute...if not enough scholarships is the reason that the team has no depth next season...it will be even more ridiculous than this year was...

We had no depth, because JB doesn’t do bench. Even if this kid gets drafted by us, there’s little chance he’ll get that much PT….since he’ll probably be “not ready”.

We had no depth, because JB doesn’t do bench. Even if this kid gets drafted by us, there’s little chance he’ll get that much PT….since he’ll probably be “not ready”.
JB does bench...he didnt last year to ensure max playing time for his sons

dion waiters came off the bench and that team was at least 10 deep, for example...

JB does bench...he didnt last year to ensure max playing time for his sons

dion waiters came off the bench and that team was at least 10 deep, for example...
He didn’t last year because Benny wasn’t ready, and Symir was bad the first half of the season or so

He didn’t last year because Benny wasn’t ready, and Symir was bad the first half of the season or so
yeah he does seem quick to jump the "they arent ready" gun...but will play a bench in years with a deep roster, for sure

The staff and JB love the class more than the fans.

The only way we go after a transfer forward is if Cole leaves and even that's not a given.

Better chance at getting a PG in the portal.
If our head coach and staff like the class I am all for it. JB knows a lot more about talent than me and probably everyone else here. I worry about so many freshmen and next years record but if we need a rebuild year to move forward I can live with it. We do have 5 veterans who can surprise people. If Cole leaves can Frank play power forward and back Jessie up would be a question I have. I hope Benny develops, he certainly has a ton of tools. Joe as a two guard with Symir at point would at least put him in what most people say is his best position. Symir is athletic and experienced. Obviously some of the frosh need to contribute. Hopefully at least one can be a three point shooter to help Joe. If those 5 play SU will be a strong rebounding team. Just not sure if Frank and Jessie can play well together. I am getting old and cannot recall the name of our other big who is loved by his teammates and brings a ton of energy. Apologies to him.

yeah I mean...with the knowldege that they havent gotten it right much in player eval lately...the way to go is that the 13 schollies need to be filled with viable players...then let the chips fall where they may...

is someone like chaz actually going to play? does he have any chance of being a player for the team?

if not, then he shouldnt be on scholarship...i know jb loves the family narrative but this isnt a charity.

plus, his dad played in the NBA...im sure they can afford a year or two of tuition...

with a bunch of players on next year's roster questionable to be ready to contribute...if not enough scholarships is the reason that the team has no depth next season...it will be even more ridiculous than this year was...
Chaz‘ scholarship was the ‘bag’ we dropped to get Billy O, the co-number one recruit, to sign with us. There was no ‘money,’ just the promise of a schollie for his offspring, and the assurance of total consciousness.

Chaz‘ scholarship was the ‘bag’ we dropped to get Billy O, the co-number one recruit, to sign with us. There was no ‘money,’ just the promise of a schollie for his offspring, and the assurance of total consciousness.

So, he’s got that going for him.

Which is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom