Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing to see people twist themselves in to knots to defend a guy not
working as hard as other guys with the same job title. I understand JB not
wanting to get on a plane and fly out to see this kid. But 40 year old JB did
exactly that. Might we still get him? Of course. But don't think for a second that
this work ethic hasn't cost us some recruits (who we got visits from). It has.
Exactly.

Nobody’s entitled to a multi-million dollar job.

I hate flying. Way too many 6 hour flights in coach from Dulles to Cali for work. When I had the miles to upgrade it was no big deal. It's not that hard when you have the comforts of a private charter or first class.
Look, it is difficult for a older guy to get up and head to the airport. Fly out to see some kid who may not even visit your school. I'm not kidding, I get it. But that is the job. The only reason this is a question is because JB has built up a lot of good will with results over 40 years. If we heard that Dino didn't or wouldn't go out to see top recruits, we wouldn't stand for it. This is really no different.

Look, it is difficult for a older guy to get up and head to the airport. Fly out to see some kid who may not even visit your school. I'm not kidding, I get it. But that is the job. The only reason this is a question is because JB has built up a lot of good will with results over 40 years. If we heard that Dino didn't or wouldn't go out to see top recruits, we wouldn't stand for it. This is really no different.

Trust me I get it. May not be that older guy as someone just shy of 40 but being a farm kid growing up with back issues for life because of it, 18 years of crazy hours working and traveling, a knee injury from years ago that bothers me ( i know preaching to the choir) and an auto immune disorder as well It's no walk in the part even at half his age and its hell flying coach for 6 hours in a middle seat. It's also my job too.. and can't be effective without it which thank God I don't have to do it as much.

Mind you I'm not getting seven figures to do these things either.

It isn't a coincidence that our recruiting has fallen off in recent years. We have been getting visits. That hasn't been the problem. Let me give you an example. Fielder was having doubts about the P.C. trip. Cooley went out to see him. He is going to P.C.. Not that's P.C.. They don't have what we have. But coaches wouldn't be going if it didn't make any difference. I heard Jim L went out to see him and Fielder is already going to Miami. Patterson would be fine but I really want Fielder.
Fielder would be nice but what are his desires? Does he want to play where his skills best fit or does he want to play close to family? is he interested in getting a degree if so, in what field?

I’m sure that all of these factors and others come into play. Right now, Fielder has several options. I hope the SU coaching staff are able to convince him to play for Syracuse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input but this is a message board. And it is fair to point out that our 78 year old coach doesn't get out like the other people in his line of work. If you don't like these posts, fair enough. Don't read them or don't respond to them. But don't tell us what to write about these issues. These are the reasons why we are coming up short in our recruiting battles and the reason while we haven't been our old self the last several years on the floor.
Might be wise to take your own advice - it’s a message board, after all.

I think Fielder cares more about the maximizing opportunities than being coddled, which I think plays to JB’s strengths (which crazy enough is also his fatal flaw in the modern recruiting era). See what I did there? I tried to appreciate both perspectives, what I like to call reality, without otherwise trying to belittle or drown out everything I may not 100% agree with.

Might be wise to take your own advice - it’s a message board, after all.

I think Fielder cares more about the maximizing opportunities than being coddled, which I think plays to JB’s strengths (which crazy enough is also his fatal flaw in the modern recruiting era). See what I did there? I tried to appreciate both perspectives, what I like to call reality, without otherwise trying to belittle or drown out everything I may not 100% agree with.
It's always great when the guy with 366 messages lectures those of us with 37k. On some issues, there are no both sides. There is a right and a wrong. Not working as hard as the other guy, there is no right to that. See what I did there? Oh, and you don't know what Fielder wants. If you were around more than a week or so, you would know that I usually know what I am talking about when it comes to recruiting. It's called being informed. Something you don't appear to be.

Last edited:
Fielder would be nice but what are his desires? Does he want to play where his skills best fit or does he want to play close to family? is he interested in getting a degree if so, in what field?

I’m sure that all of these factors and others come into play. Right now, Fielder HS several options. I hope the SU coaching staff are able to convince him to play for Syracuse.
We are going to find those things out in the next few weeks. However, in a lot of cases, it comes down to the relationships that are built during the recruiting process. It's one of the reasons why our recruiting has not been what it once was.

It isn't a coincidence that our recruiting has fallen off in recent years. We have been getting visits. That hasn't been the problem. Let me give you an example. Fielder was having doubts about the P.C. trip. Cooley went out to see him. He is going to P.C.. Not that's P.C.. They don't have what we have. But coaches wouldn't be going if it didn't make any difference. I heard Jim L went out to see him and Fielder is already going to Miami. Patterson would be fine but I really want Fielder.
Pitino just said this summer that Providence has the best basketball practice facility that he’s seen. What do we have that Providence doesn’t? Providence has a lot going for it.

It's always great when the guy with 366 messages lectures those of us with 37k. On some issues, there are no both sides. There is a right and a wrong. Not working as hard as the other guy, there is no right to that. See what I did there? Oh, and you don't know what Fielder wants. If you were around more than a week or so, you would know that I usually know what I am talking about when it comes to recruiting. It's called being informed. Something you don't appear to be.
Apology accepted, man.

And to keep it Fielder-related, I think I’ll wait until after his decision before presuming to know the rationale.

Pitino just said this summer that Providence has the best basketball practice facility that he’s seen. What do we have that Providence doesn’t? Providence has a lot going for it.
They built a brand new practice facility 2-3 years ago. It’s really nice, think it cost them $15M to build.

I always like reading your views. However, the my 37,000 takes versus your 366 makes me superior is ridiculous.

I always like reading your views. However, the my 37,000 takes versus your 366 makes me superior is ridiculous.
It's not that he has 37,000 posts, it's that within those 37,000 posts it has been made clear that he has connections within the program. His opinion is usually based upon information that he's received from these connections.

Apology accepted, man.

And to keep it Fielder-related, I think I’ll wait until after his decision before presuming to know the rationale.
LOL Keep being you. Both sides. And it would be better for you to wait since you don't have any idea what you don't know.

a 30k seating arena. A better basketball history. A Hall of Fame coach. A more respected league.

Thanks for the input but this is a message board. And it is fair to point out that our 78 year old coach doesn't get out like the other people in his line of work. If you don't like these posts, fair enough. Don't read them or don't respond to them. But don't tell us what to write about these issues. These are the reasons why we are coming up short in our recruiting battles and the reason while we haven't been our old self the last several years on the floor.
Jim has access to a jet. The limo picks him up drops him off at the jet. He flys 3.5 hours. Car service takes him to watch the kid. He watches for 3 4 hours max. Car service back to jet. Jim puts on his pajamas and takes a 4 hour snooze. Car service home. 13 to 15 hour day. Private jet. Limo . If that too much to ask...

It's not that he has 37,000 posts, it's that within those 37,000 posts it has been made clear that he has connections within the program. His opinion is usually based upon information that he's received from these connections.
Then don't use my 37,000 posts as a basis for my superiority. Someone can have a reasonable take whether it's their first one or 37,001.

Last edited:
Then don't use my 37,000 posts as a basis for my superiority Someone can have a reasonable take whether it's their first one or 37,001.
Yes they can. But what they can't do, and where the 37k talk came from, is lecturing me about what to post. That he can't do. Before tonight, I had never noticed one post the guy had made. And the only reason I noticed him tonight, were his posts to me . As people who have been on this board know, I provide information. I do it for the board. And anyone that thinks that our coach not being out on the road hasn't hurt us, well, they would be wrong. And for those that have been around, they also know that for 40+ years, I have been a big defender of JB. But being fair, he isn't the same coach as far as effort goes that he was years gone by. But how could he be? Father time is unbeaten.

Last edited:
a 30k seating arena. A better basketball history. A Hall of Fame coach. A more respected league.
On campus facility. Rabid fan base. History of first round picks. Better base of talent to play with. A beautiful campus. Better academics.

Yes they can. But what they can't do, and where the 37k talk came from, is lecturing me about what to post. That he can't do. Before tonight, I had never noticed one post the guy had made. And the only reason I noticed him tonight, were his posts to me . As people who have been on this board know, I provide information. I do it for the board. And anyone that thinks that our coach not being out on the road hasn't hurt us, well, they would be wrong. And for those that have been around, they also know that for 40+ years, I have been a big defender of JB. But being fair, he isn't the same coach as far as effort goes that he was years gone by. But how could he be? Father time is unbeaten.
Fair enough Dasher. I agree with the substance of your above post. Let's hope we can bring in someone to help the program in 2023. Go Orange!

He had no problem getting to Vegas to see numbers 0 and 35…

Yes. For about a week. Now, I don't blame him one bit for wanting to see his kids play. Must have been a thrill. But you can't have it all. Because you can't be in two places at once. And at 78. you only have so much energy. How you decide to spend it, well... And Jb is talking about coaching 2 more years.

He also had no problem going from New England to Georgia to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom