Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did we waste our time and resources on him?

It makes no sense.
??? It really wasn't much of an effort. What else did we have to do? The guy appeared on our radar and we took a shot. We missed. I guarantee you that JB hasn't given it a second thought.

Im not sure how much time and resources we actually committed towards him so I’m sure someone else could better answer that.

However, I just feel like the writings been on the wall for a couple weeks and I didnt find it all too concerning.

That's why you don't lose players to Bonaventure.

We were on his short list. If we used resources and lost that's bad. If we made the final two or three and didn't use a lot of resources, then that's bad.

Point is, you don't lose a recruiting battle to St Bonaventure.

I understand why he would go to there, but I also think that we should have the stroke enough to convince a kid why Syracuse is a better choice.
It turns out he was too smart for that. He wasn't just worried about who was already here. He was concerned about who we were recruiting for next year. He saw the hand writing on the wall.

??? It really wasn't much of an effort. What else did we have to do? The guy appeared on our radar and we took a shot. We missed. I guarantee you that JB hasn't given it a second thought.

Of course he hasn't given it a second thought. I'm guessing the past few years he hasn't given a lot of second thought to a lot of things he's said and done that maybe hasn't effected the program in the most positive ways.

Whatever business as usual is with this program the past few years is not good. The trend is going in the wrong direction based on our record, and our recruiting is behind that and it's not getting better, yet.

It turns out he was too smart for that. He wasn't just worried about who was already here. He was concerned about who we were recruiting for next year. He saw the hand writing on the wall.

Exactly. Akok. Stewart. Cockburn. Wahab. If we take this kid and it spurns off those kids, the people that are barking at nothing right now, would be barking if we don't sign any of those guys.

This kid is going to be one of those kids we wish we had either the next 4 years or the 3 years after this one.

The center spot has been our Achilles heel for the past 6 years.

I understand why he would go to there, but I also think that we should have the stroke enough to convince a kid why Syracuse is a better choice.
Fair enough. Trust me, I see what you are saying. I still think playing time and relationships were key in this. Was more disappointed when Golden picked Butler over Cuse (not a knock against Braswell at all)

That's why you don't lose players to Bonaventure.

We were on his short list. If we used resources and lost that's bad. If we made the final two or three and didn't use a lot of resources, then that's bad.

Point is, you don't lose a recruiting battle to St Bonaventure.

Relax. We saw a need for depth - tried to address it - and a kid made a decision which would be best for him.

Exactly. Akok. Stewart. Cockburn. Wahab. If we take this kid and it spurns off those kids, the people that are barking at nothing right now, would be barking if we don't sign any of those guys.

If a backup center spurns off legit top guys then there's a problem with those players.

We have an issue getting bigs here for some reason, I think Akok is a bit overrated here and we'll see who we actually get. But when we have other guys to make up for this miss then we can move on.

There was absolutely no reason to waste time on this kid if there was no reason to get him.

Of course he hasn't given it a second thought. I'm guessing the past few years he hasn't given a lot of second thought to a lot of things he's said and done that maybe hasn't effected the program in the most positive ways.

Whatever business as usual is with this program the past few years is not good. The trend is going in the wrong direction based on our record, and our recruiting is behind that and it's not getting better, yet.
the class that would be sr's has had two first round draft choices. So the recruiting hasn't been some disaster. And I would bet that Jb worries more about Syracuse basketball than the rest of the board combined. Just not about some kid that a few weeks ago, none of us had heard of. We got hit with serious, harmful sanctions and still went to two final fours and a sweet 16 in the last 6 years. I suggest things will get better now that the sanctions are done with. If we got this kid, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But not getting him is a sign of the apocalypse.

Relax. We saw a need for depth - tried to address it - and a kid made a decision which would be best for him.
BINGO. A kid made a decision that was best FOR HIM. Syracuse is a great program but I'd be pretty wary if I was a depth guy and watched guys like BJ & Buss & Kaleb & Moyer etc over the past few seasons get over recruited.

It's funny that this reaction comes from the same people who ask why a kid would choose Duke over SU because he's not going to play there. Then, when a kid actually takes playing time and priority into account it's "We're Syracuse, good luck never winning anything at SBU". Talking out both sides of your mouth.

If a backup center spurns off legit top guys then there's a problem with those players.

We have an issue getting bigs here for some reason, I think Akok is a bit overrated here and we'll see who we actually get. But when we have other guys to make up for this miss then we can move on.

There was absolutely no reason to waste time on this kid if there was no reason to get him.
Why do you think Akok is over rated here? What don't you like about the kid. He was a big factor in why OO didn't go here. OO thinks he is very good.

I look forward to the posts next spring where someone inevitably posts that OO, after averaging let's say 9 and 7 next year, should've gone to SU and that we could've used that production.

Please keep in mind that he wouldn't get the minutes at SU next year to put up the same numbers as he'll be getting for the Bonnies.

Would he have been a nice addition to the team? Sure Is it the end of days and a pox on the once proud basketball program? Not at all.

Tremont Waters!!!!!

the class that would be sr's has had two first round draft choices. So the recruiting hasn't been some disaster. And I would bet that Jb worries more about Syracuse basketball than the rest of the board combined. Just not about some kid that a few weeks ago, none of us had heard of. We got hit with serious, harmful sanctions and still went to two final fours and a sweet 16 in the last 6 years. I suggest things will get better now that the sanctions are done with. If we got this kid, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But not getting him is a sign of the apocalypse.

Nobody is saying it's the apocalypse.

I'm personally saying that things are just very different than they used to be, and it's the reason why we're a .500 ACC team.

This kid is going to be one of those kids we wish we had either the next 4 years or the 3 years after this one.

The center spot has been our Achilles heel for the past 6 years.
This kid is a kid that wouldn't play here for three years and then, four years from now when he is pretty good, we say, boy I wish we had that kid now. He wanted more out of his college career than that. I don't blame him.

I'm personally saying that things are just very different than they used to be, and it's the reason why we're a .500 ACC team.
The thing that was different was the sanctions. I don't understand how some people can't get that. Forget the ship reduction. The two coaches on the road killed us. In a number of ways.

Yes the sanctions hurt. That is what was different

BINGO. A kid made a decision that was best FOR HIM. Syracuse is a great program but I'd be pretty wary if I was a depth guy and watched guys like BJ & Buss & Kaleb & Moyer etc over the past few seasons get over recruited.

It's funny that this reaction comes from the same people who ask why a kid would choose Duke over SU because he's not going to play there. Then, when a kid actually takes playing time and priority into account it's "We're Syracuse, good luck never winning anything at SBU". Talking out both sides of your mouth.

Exactly. I bet there is at least 200 comments in the Tucker thread saying exactly that. Proved to be true and would've proved true here too if Chukwu and Sidibe stay healthy.

Akok isn’t overrated. He dominated in the EYBL last weekend.

Why do you think Akok is over rated here? What don't you like about the kid. He was a big factor in why OO didn't go here. OO thinks he is very good.

I don't think his shooting will translate here and will not be a big part of his game because of how we run our offense. His release could be timed with an hour glass.

He's rail thin and only 6'8" or 6'9".

Every block I see him make in videos is a foul as he's getting them with his body first.

He seems more like a 4 for us than a 5.

I don't think his shooting will translate here and will not be a big part of his game because of how we run our offense. His release could be timed with an hour glass.

Every block I see him make in videos is a foul as he's getting them with his body first.

I think he is more of a 4 than a 5 as well. But in todays basketball, that is the game.

Exactly. A stretch 4.

Exactly. A stretch 4.

So say hypothetically that we already signed him, we should still have a shot at O.O.

My entire point which nobody wants to address is, why did we even bother offering if he's that awful and we don't need him. There are plenty of guys who look good that we actually need throughout the years that we don't even try after, but this bum who wouldn't play gets an offer and a lot of praise in articles with quotes from the coaching staff.

Seems more of a save Gerrys face by downplaying losing this kid than anything else.

I think he is more of a 4 than a 5 as well. But in todays basketball, that is the game.

He’s the exact kind of player we need and Villanova recruits. He’s the opposite of Roberson, Moyer, and Marek in the fact that he actually can shoot.

So say hypothetically that we already signed him, we should still have a shot at O.O.

My entire point which nobody wants to address is, why did we even bother offering if he's that awful and we don't need him. There are plenty of guys who look good that we actually need throughout the years that we don't even try after, but this bum who wouldn't play gets an offer and a lot of praise in articles with quotes from the coaching staff.

Seems more of a save Gerrys face by downplaying losing this kid than anything else.

No offense, but i think Gerry complaining is stupid. He signed Goodine and if he signs Akok he’s got our only two recruits for this cycle. I usually agree with your takes, but I think you’re incredibly off base here. People need to look at each recruitment with some nuance.

Status
Not open for further replies.