Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come be the 3rd center at a program that has never had more than 2 centers in the rotation...

That’s a tough sell. Kudos to the staff for seeing the talent and trying to get some depth with potential . That’s all we can ask. I’m disappointed that he didn’t commit mostly because I couldn’t use the post I had ready in my holster if he had :

Here comes Osun doot’n doo doo. Here comes Osun, and I say it’s all right.

Last edited:
No offense, but i think Gerry complaining is stupid. He signed Goodine and if he signs Akok he’s got our only two recruits for this cycle. I usually agree with your takes, but I think you’re incredibly off base here. People need to look at each recruitment with some nuance.

I think it's very fair to look at his body of work and results. His scouting hasn't been great on the guys he's brought in and his best guy thus far is probably Sidibe who would be graded an incomplete.

I think it's very fair to look at his body of work and results. His scouting hasn't been great on the guys he's brought in and his best guy thus far is probably Sidibe who would be graded an incomplete.

He’s only recruited 3 cycles. We are just starting to see his work. Hopkins didn’t immediately kill it either when he went on the trail. It took him time too.

The complaining about Gerry when he signed our only guy for 2019 that averaged 25 ppg last weekend in AAU is short sighted.

He’s only recruited 3 cycles. We are just starting to see his work. Hopkins didn’t immediately kill it either when he went on the trail. It took him time too.

The complaining about Gerry when he signed our only guy for 2019 that averaged 25 ppg last weekend in AAU is short sighted.

Didn't Gmac bring Patterson in?

The thing that was different was the sanctions. I don't understand how some people can't get that. Forget the ship reduction. The two coaches on the road killed us. In a number of ways.

It’s part of it. The perception and stigma of it more than anything, I think. The Hopkins debacle also. Boeheim hasn’t been much on the road much anyways the past 5 years (maybe 10) so I really think the “coaches on the road” excuse is overblown. Bad luck with guys like Diagne, DaJuan Coleman, etc., All eggs in one basket recruiting approach to certain scenarios. Early defections. Big time recruiting misses and some guys not developing. It’s a perfect storm of issues but enough to make your head spin.

Remains to be seen if we can stay competitve in the modern era of basketball offensively. That needs to get better because recruits aren’t going to come here strictly because of the zone and play in ugly grinders. The grinders and horrendous offense has been pretty much constant since middle of the season of the Ennis year. The offense was still bad, IMO, with Lydon/Gillon/White. They just jacked shots without any ball movement and the numbers looked better because they got buried in games and constantly were forced to make furious rallies when defenses stopped playing up 20+ pts. Bazely sort of fell in our lap without much effort. I don’t think Boeheim had to lift a finger and/or even go to Ohio. I think we’ll be pretty good this coming season without Battle but a lot of that depends on if Sidibe is OK longterm, Carey comes in ready to ball, and if Hughes can actually contribute.

I’m not concerned or worried really about Osun to Bonnies. Small potatoes. But, if we have everybody healthy and are middle of the pack/bubble again then there are obviously internal/systemic problems.

Last edited:
Didn't Gmac bring Patterson in?

Who cares what if he did. That was his first season here and he basically didn’t recruit for the entirety of the sanctions when we only had 2 guys on the road.

Here’s an idea. Let’s get rid of Gerry so Goodine decommits and we lose any shot with guys like Akok and everyone else he’s involved with this cycle.

Who cares what if he did. That was his first season here and he basically didn’t recruit for the entirety of the sanctions when we only had 2 guys on the road.

Here’s an idea. Let’s get rid of Gerry so Goodine decommits and we lose any shot with guys like Akok and everyone else he’s involved with this cycle.

I'm saying he hasn't just had 3 cycles.

I didn't say to get rid of him, just that he needs to get better and i hope his new guys pan out.

Ok so let's turn the tables here. For those of you relentlessly criticizing here such as twothreezone ( not singling you out as there are others you just posted most recently) please enlighten on a couple things:

1) How would you successfully beat out the Bonnies for Osun? What do you do differently that wouldn't result in the same failure of our staff?

2) What are your expectations/standards for recruits and depth? How should our roster and recruiting classes look that would meet your expectations?

This is a serious question not trying to gaslight.

I think he is more of a 4 than a 5 as well. But in todays basketball, that is the game.
like lydon, he'll end up playing a bit of both

and, fwiw, i think aa has more upside than lydon did at this stage of his career. a lot more.

Why do you think Akok is over rated here? What don't you like about the kid. He was a big factor in why OO didn't go here. OO thinks he is very good.
i also think that some of the oo recruitment served as sort of second-hand aa recruiting

That's why you don't lose players to Bonaventure.

We were on his short list. If we used resources and lost that's bad. If we made the final two or three and didn't use a lot of resources, then that's bad.

Point is, you don't lose a recruiting battle to St Bonaventure.

But sometimes you do. That doesn't mean it was wasted effort. We only found out about Bazely after the McDonald's game. We had to get some bodies in here.

The young man sees himself as a cornerstone for St. Bonaventure. That's fine. He didn't want to compete with 2 other guys already here for playing time. That's a rational choice.

I just hope we can find one more big man, so we don't have to play our centers hurt next year if we don't have to.

But sometimes you do. That doesn't mean it was wasted effort. We only found out about Bazely after the McDonald's game. We had to get some bodies in here.

The young man sees himself as a cornerstone for St. Bonaventure. That's fine. He didn't want to compete with 2 other guys already here for playing time. That's a rational choice.

I just hope we can find one more big man, so we don't have to play our centers hurt next year if we don't have to.

We are done for this cycle.

Sidibe is an excellent prospect. That was a very good signing. I just hope he shows us what kind of player he is next year, and that he can remain healthy. Tendonitis wasn't GMac's fault.

This kid is a kid that wouldn't play here for three years and then, four years from now when he is pretty good, we say, boy I wish we had that kid now. He wanted more out of his college career than that. I don't blame him.
Not true at all. He would have played a solid role next year and a significant role the following. We lost a recruit that we wanted to the Bonnies which regardless of how this board tries to justify it isn't good.

Not true at all. He would have played a solid role next year and a significant role the following. We lost a recruit that we wanted to the Bonnies which regardless of how this board tries to justify it isn't good.

Where was he going to play and for whom?

Why didn't you scream and yell about Griffin not closing Bazley and not knowing he wanted to go to the G league.

Why isn't Griffin involved with any prospects compared to GMAC? Does that bother you as much?

Plz do tell. How are you so certain he would have had a "significant role" here next year? I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have but all your posts are absolutes when nobody has any idea including you.

Losing a late offer recruit to Bonnies is not that big of a deal. Perhaps he saw an avenue to early playing time better there. Perhaps he had a relationship with a coach on staff. Perhaps he had a friend who was already committed there. I would've been more concerned had we lost a Carey or Bazley (pre G league) to Bonnies and not a guy who we can in and offered late for depth.

Ok so let's turn the tables here. For those of you relentlessly criticizing here such as twothreezone ( not singling you out as there are others you just posted most recently) please enlighten on a couple things:

1) How would you successfully beat out the Bonnies for Osun? What do you do differently that wouldn't result in the same failure of our staff?

2) What are your expectations/standards for recruits and depth? How should our roster and recruiting classes look that would meet your expectations?

This is a serious question not trying to gaslight.
I would have Griff or Red take the lead.

Plz do tell. How are you so certain he would have had a "significant role" here next year? I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have but all your posts are absolutes when nobody has any idea including you.

Losing a late offer recruit to Bonnies is not that big of a deal. Perhaps he saw an avenue to early playing time better there. Perhaps he had a relationship with a coach on staff. Perhaps he had a friend who was already committed there. I would've been more concerned had we lost a Carey or Bazley (pre G league) to Bonnies and not a guy who we can in and offered late for depth.
Read the post standard article. Gmac loved his potential and i think he knows talent. The minute he could offer he did. It is obvious we wanted this kid more than just a little. I have no idea why we didnt close him but i do think we really wanted him and that he would have played.

Losing Osun is regrettable and I don't fault the staff for not getting his commitment. This late in the game it was kind of a hail mary. Got lucky with the forward committing but the need and available playing time was different. My only question was why the staff didn't identify a need for another center last summer and gone after some center prospects. What's changed, have the same two centers we had when the season ended last March? Certainly enough time to get involved with other center prospects.

Read the post standard article. Gmac loved his potential and i think he knows talent. The minute he could offer he did. It is obvious we wanted this kid more than just a little. I have no idea why we didnt close him but i do think we really wanted him and that he might have played if one of the two centers on the roster sustained an injury.

FIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.