Class of 2021 - PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24)

Jaquan Carlos - aq = Juan Carlos.
Long live the King

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm not thrilled about the idea of starting Carlos but if we can bring him off the bench we'll be in a nice position

If we get Leffew, it could be he and JJ as starters at G, Bell & Freeman at F, and Mr. Colorado at C.

Then, 2nd PG is Carlos or Cuffe, 2nd SG is Chopper or Westry, depending on whether we need physicality or shooting.

Up front, Westry / Leffew /Jyare can all rotate at the 3. Without Maliq and without another F, Freeman is going to be a stretch 4, and hopefully not spend too much time away from the basket, like Donte Greene did.

Maybe Mr. Colorado plays some PF when we have big boy opponents, with MacLeod at C, and Mr. Redshirt as the "break glass" third center.

That's how it looks to me right now. A lot of experienced guys. Hopefully Red lets them all have lots of minutes, so they all stay engaged. That's going to be very important.

I'm not arguing this and certainly hope you're right but last year's stats look awfully similar (offensively). Hopefully this is a case where stats only tell part of the story.

Symir (6'3", 200lb):
2p%: 47%
3p%: 33%
Ast: 7.2
TOV: 2.8
Steals: .9
Reb: 5.8
Pts: 8.2

Jaquan (6'0", 160lb):
2p%: 47%
3p%: 34%
Ast: 6.3
TOV: 2.6
Steals: 1.6
Reb: 4.4
Pts: 10.4

Any reason you didn't include free throw %?
Also this is Symirs 5th year season stats compared to Jaquan’s 3rd

Anyway he’s an upgrade over what Symir was…a very nice steady backup pg

This seems to me like they don't want Westry playing any point, and considering he hasn't played basketball in 2 years that's probably a good idea and a good way to put him in a position to succeed.

I'm thinking Carlos can be very valuable in late game situations. A veteran who can handle the ball and hit free throws is big for closing out wins when the other team is desperate, pressing, and fouling.

On the other side of the court Westry can be the guy we use to lock down the other team's best perimeter scorer when the game is on the line.

These two might not see a ton of minutes or put up gaudy numbers, but they could make the difference between winning or losing close games.

This seems to me like they don't want Westry playing any point, and considering he hasn't played basketball in 2 years that's probably a good idea and a good way to put him in a position to succeed.

I'm thinking Carlos can be very valuable in late game situations. A veteran who can handle the ball and hit free throws is big for closing out wins when the other team is desperate, pressing, and fouling.

On the other side of the court Westry can be the guy we use to lock down the other team's best perimeter scorer when the game is on the line.

These two might not see a ton of minutes or put up gaudy numbers, but they could make the difference between winning or losing close games.
Good post. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Westry get some minutes at the point if/when fully recovered. That's a great option to have.

The larger point, I think, is that Red's vision for the roster is more about having versatile skill sets (and tough, coachable kids) so that he can mix and match combinations based on matchups. The debates over who will get minutes as a 2, 3, or 4 are fun but not particularly relevant IMO. Those labels don't matter at all in a motion offense. And on defense, it matters more what positions you can effectively defend and not what position you are "playing."

That’s fair.

If you don’t like BPM. Steal percentage. DBPR. D Win Shares.

All are fine. Not blow away. Lower than Judah
Judah had the ability to be a great defender when he chose to. He just not to way too much. If this guy just puts forth the effort and doesn't do matador impressions, I'll take it.

Last edited:
Good article. Much to like about what he said.

When asked about how he felt regarding Leffew possibly joining the team... "Everything's going to be a competition," Carlos said. "I wouldn't want anything promised. I feel like if someone promises you something, you'll be lied to. I'll be out there playing but there will be good competition.

When asked about what he brings to Syracuse... "A quarterback of the team. Unselfish player who is going to play hard every night and doing whatever it takes to win games."

Love his attitude. Here's hoping the rest of the team feels the same way. I really like how this roster looks on paper. Hopefully, Chance is healthy enough to play and Cuffe takes a step forward. If things click with this group, the potential is certainly there to have a great year.

No way about it...I was wrong.

Others can feel free to mix this in once in awhile. Would really make this board flow better.

So….I was NOT wrong.

Let’s see if all those folks that were wrong will do the same now that Leffew is in UGA. I won’t hold my breath

The next time you post “I was wrong” on this board would be the first time.
I never said Leffew was coming, why would I say "I was wrong"?

I think Carlos was brought on when Peppe started playing us. I seriously doubt this kid came to cuse to be a backup

You can't drive through life looking in the rear view mirror. Your eyes have to be on the windshield. Good luck to Leffew and Carlos looks like a good pick-up. Between him and Davis we're going to see a lot of pull-up jumpers, per their highlight films. I like it. Offensive emphasis on the arc and the paint puts the defensive emphasis there, too.

That would be a huge gamble on Red's part, one that'd be highly questionable given the significance of next season results and his future employment
Read what he said in his interview when asked about St Mary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom