Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been the most tight lipped recruitment I’ve ever seen. There’s no way that this got
Leaked to crystal ball guys now. No way.

JJ gonna stay home and fill the Dome!

Agree 144%*

That's why it was comical when a few weeks ago, the Duke prognosticator said he wasn't going to Duke or Syracuse. He didn't know shiz.

* Royalties to 721comstock

Don’t lose hope yet people ... and I can tell you for a fact all those predictions, no one knows a damn thing. I can ASSURE you of that
You know, things were going just fine around here until you had to go and inject hope back into us...we had already accepted defeat and was well on our way to bashing our current class and the dome was collapsing on our heads...We didn't even get to the burning of JB at the stake and how he's asleep at the wheel part...should've waited until lunch time before sharing this tidbit! :)

No offense but you are making up your own math here. Just because you don't think the class is what we hoped it to be doesn't mean that when final numbers come in for Copeland and Carey that still land outside a top 25 class because you don't like it. 4 top 100 guys, irrespective of whether they sit 50-100 vs anyone top 30 is going to be a top 15-20 class no matter those 37 others. Look at the numbers and how they compute my Cincy example. You are conflating your opinion of the class with the actual numbers. We are 29th because Carey hasn't been rated yet. If he was and was top 100 we would be top 15 now by the numbers.

Now if you add a top 30 or 40 transfer now you are in business with a legit top 10 incoming class. Does that immediately equate to a top 25 team? No. You have to pull another good class in '23. Including getting a kid like JJ or Benny who is immediate high impact. You string strong classes together. One class rarely makes a team unless it's like a UK or Duke class.

So again- drop the opinions out of your math. It's likely a top 15 or better class after we portal. We really would be best with Benny returning for continuity and then bringing in at least one top dog for 23.

As for the bubble team aspect- one of the key problems has been not getting what was expected from recruits and missing the type of players at key positions for our style of basketball. The center position well positioned for the first time in a while. We are bringing in a legit PG who has the size we want. We have a prototypical hybrid forward who is the highest ranked player recruiting wise on the team. We have added more shooting to the mix as a strategy but brought in a kid who does more than just shoot it. We have targeted another shooter and another multi year PF who fits the mold of an SU F. These are things that are familiar to us in what was more successful years.
Making up my own math? I simply went to 247 and pulled their rankings. Those are some really nice orange glasses you're wearing, I hope you're right and this class does something. But its very mediocre compared to what we were all hoping for.

Basically Rutgers but with Touchdown Jesus

Right, they handpick their students and fees and get it all, and they place quite nicely in life. No offense to Rutgers. Honestly it's one of the greatest marketing moves in American history.

If this is the endpoint for JJ so be it. They seem to run a sane yet bland hoops program.

I think the ND predictions are just guesses. It may be ND. It may be Syracuse. But one thing I do know, no one that is making predictions can be sure of anything. JJ and his family have kept this closer to the vest than the allies did with the D-Day invasion.

I grew up Catholic, btw, and went to Catholic school when I was younger. And my cousin went to Notre Dame, so I’ve stayed on the campus before. I was actually there when they were filming Rudy! ND doesn’t feel secular AT ALL. I found it to be a very regressive, bizarre place. They have all kinds of strict rules, drinking is forbidden, dorms are segregated between men and women, parietals force students of the opposite gender out of the dorms by midnight (and there are harsh punishments for breaking rules), and it’s a really homogenous campus that lacks diversity. Anyhow, if JJ is choosing ND over Cuse, it sounds like he really wanted to go away to school. Good luck to him.

Rudy was a while ago :) I have plenty of friends who went to Notre Dame and have kids at Notre Dame. Their experience is no different really than anyplace else.

it amazes me every time when people talk about class rankings as an opinion like there isn’t an actual math to it and the calculations are simply right in front of you. If we land brown and bunch with not a single Thing changing, our class wouldve been the 15th in the nation last year. That doesn’t even include Carey getting a ranking in the near future. Will our other players go up in rankings? Who knows but minimally with that class, we should be around top 15.

Making up my own math? I simply went to 247 and pulled their rankings. Those are some really nice orange glasses you're wearing, I hope you're right and this class does something. But its very mediocre compared to what we were all hoping for.

Do the math then. You aren't getting it. I have no orange glasses on. If we have 4 guys who are top 100 plus Maliq our player average is going to sit around .94 or higher. When you factor total commits plus the average it's going to add up to a total that is in the top 15. Not sure what you aren't getting.

Like I said use Cincy as an example. .93 average and 3 recruits total and they are 16th. We get 5 guys and 4 top 100 with .94 average and that's gonna bump us over more than just Cincy.

Do the math then. You aren't getting it. I have no orange glasses on. If we have 4 guys who are top 100 plus Maliq our player average is going to sit around .94 or higher. When you factor total commits plus the average it's going to add up to a total that is in the top 15. Not sure what you aren't getting.

Like I said use Cincy as an example. .93 average and 3 recruits total and they are 16th. We get 5 guys and 4 top 100 with .94 average and that's gonna bump us over more than just Cincy.
Right, except we wouldn't have 4 guys in the top 100. We'd have 2. You aren't getting it. You're going off hypotheticals. And again, I like the reference to Cincy, but 25% of the class in the top 150 hasn't committed yet, so Cincy isn't finishing at 16th with the class they currently have.

There were a few people on here (no longer on here, I believe) that were VERY enthusiastic about what they were sure was going to happen with this recruiting class. We all had high hopes based on what happened early with Dior committing and who he was going to "bring along". Well, there was obviously reason for caution at that stage to any rational person. At the end of the day, it is about the players that actually make it to campus and then how they perform while at Syracuse. I really like the three guys we have committed. I like to look at rankings, but I also trust our coaches and my own eye. I think Copeland is a perfect fit for PG at Syracuse. I tend to think that Taylor is more of a forward than a guard at this stage, but the coaches see him as a SG, and I trust they have a plan to get him there. It will be interesting to see what position he plays at IMG. Carey, I haven't seen a ton of him playing against significant competition, but one thing you can tell is that he is athletic. People hate him being called raw, but I haven't seen anything from him that shows advanced footwork or game ready moves at the D1 level, but I would gladly be wrong. If we get Bunch, I like him, I think he is athletic, and is fairly skilled. He makes outside shots, but his release is low. He has some work to do, but he has the tools to become a really good college player. Brown, he seems to be a good athlete, not elite. He has good dimensions for a power forward. He is tall and long and has a good frame to fill out. I don't ever see him becoming a stretch 4. He is more of a rebounding score near the basket and play good defense forward. Personally, I love that kind of forward. If we have three shooters on the floor and then two big guys that can grab some offensive rebounds and play great defense and score down low, I will be very happy. Anyway, rankings are nice to look at, but let's not reduce these guys down to a number. I don't think any of these guys are immediate superstars, but they all look like guys that will contribute to a winning program.

Right, except we wouldn't have 4 guys in the top 100. We'd have 2. You aren't getting it. You're going off hypotheticals. And again, I like the reference to Cincy, but 25% of the class in the top 150 hasn't committed yet, so Cincy isn't finishing at 16th with the class they currently have.

I'm using projections based on what has been shared and the fact Carey hasn't been evaluated. So it's practical to at least find a happy medium. You stated it's unlikely they would be a top 25 class and thus are playing the same hypothetical and are over reliant on what things look like today

And the campus is beautiful. ND takes their education more seriously than any school I've ever been to.

Outside of Georgetown, Pitt, Uconn I still dislike them the most though.
Campus isn’t any more grand than many others, and South Bend is a dump of a city.

I'm using projections based on what has been shared and the fact Carey hasn't been evaluated. So it's practical to at least find a happy medium. You stated it's unlikely they would be a top 25 class and thus are playing the same hypothetical and are over reliant on what things look like today
Bottom line is, people like to piss and moan, but if you are married to rankings, they don't really matter until the final ranking anyway. And, those don't matter either. If you need those numbers (not you Orangezoo) to help you sleep at night, then you will be disappointed more often than not. Because, we don't play the same recruiting game as Duke and UK. If you need that, it isn't happening. Apparently we have a few things working against us on the recruiting trail as well, perhaps JB's age and coaching style. He isn't young and hip and he doesn't BS these spoiled kids. Some kids just don't value being coached by a hall of fame coach. Anyway, it is about talent accumulation and all of our current commits and potential commits can contribute.

Nope not at all. I just have a hard time getting excited, I have read this book. Hard to be hopeful.
I hear you. Most of us have been around long enough to see these things go both ways. I thought, mistakenly, that you implied knowledge to the contrary.

Only 20 of the top 100 remain uncommitted. One of those guys may come here.

Nope not at all. I just have a hard time getting excited, I have read this book. Hard to be hopeful.
Don't be pessimistic. No one knows anything for sure. We have a shot. So does ND. We will all know soon enough. If you want something positive, I do know this. We really impressed him on his last visit here. We have everything to offer him.

just because 25% of the top hasn’t committed doesn’t mean it’ll all end up above us. It’s not like 37 or so players in the top 150 are all gonna go to about 20 or so teams. I just laid it out to you to show that the other uncommitted players won’t change this all that much. Our class computing right now is 45.1 with our current class(currently 30th, last year would’ve been 47th). Including bunch and brown would then be a 60.48(currently 10th and last year 16th).

I don't really feel comfortable assuming Carey is anything more than a 3 star when he's evaluated nor do I want to assume the guys that are already ranked will suddenly significantly jump up. If everyone stays around where they are now, Carey gets slotted in as a 3 star, and we get Bunch, that should put us around 20-25.

Edit: I also don't really care where our rankings are. We've landed highly rated guys that I thought were bad and relatively low rated guys that I thought were good and we've obviously had instances of all of the above panning out/busting.

I hear you. Most of us have been around long enough to see these things go both ways. I thought, mistakenly, that you implied knowledge to the contrary.
Nope, I dont really ever have any inside info. Just a fan trying not to be a Debbie downer...lol, which hant been easy of late. But I am hoping we pull out the upset.

I don't really feel comfortable assuming Carey is anything more than a 3 star when he's evaluated nor do I want to assume the guys that are already ranked will suddenly significantly jump up. If everyone stays around where they are now, Carey gets slotted in as a 3 star, and we get Bunch, that should put us around 20-25.

I thought that initially and guys still have to commit but if Cincy with 88, 146 and 158 is the 16th rated class right now...

The guys going to pro leagues has shifted things a bit as has teams being more about the portal.

I don't think my point is getting across. Whether we are 12th 15th or 20th for '22 it's not going to be an elite class unless guys over perform. It's not going to translate to guaranteed top 20 poll rankings. It's simply just looking at the numbers. I mean hell, drop Carey as top 200 and you end up with 3 top 100 guys assuming only that we get Bunch and Copeland rises up and it's still probably top 20.

Some of you are conflating class ranking with projected program performance. I've been clear that I am not doing so.

My only positive thinking here (God forbid I do that, I am no homer) is that existing pieces in trouble areas and the measurables and style of the guys we are bringing in and targeting align better with the type of teams that have succeeded which then gives me hope. That's it. There is so much frustration over a decision still pending that even an ounce of optimism is attacked it's a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom