Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s hope the other freshmen can earn PT to fulfill that wish.
I took it as a display of patience. He knows that at worst, the younger guys will play behind some upper-classmen. At best, they will compete for and take the job from an older guy. My guess is he's thinking down the road time, when they all can play together. Barring injuries, this will only be for a few early games if we have our full roster. A lot of ifs by me, but that's what I thought.

This is great.

I think all we need is a good wing transfer from the portal and next years team has potential.

Our program badly needed this signing.

Let’s hope the other freshmen can earn PT to fulfill that wish.
I think having a full roster is crucial in the development of freshmen. If our upper classmen help groom them to work hard and teach them how physical the game is at this level, they have a shot at growing quickly. When you are practicing against only Paddy Casey and the like, no offense to them, they can only hope to be able to match Paddy Casey and the like. Joe is not as athletic as the young guys, but he has competed against ACC competition for three years. He needs to show them what to expect going up against Duke. Symir has to do the same. Push them and be physical so that there are no surprises. The big guys have to do even worse. Do you remember how Benny was completely outmatched on the block against the guy from Indiana? He was unprepared. He had noone to show him what to expect in a situation like that. I want Jesse and Benny and anyone else we get down low to beat on the new guys so that they learn how to combat against that. We need some alumni to come back for the summer and beat the crap out of these guys all summer.

“Oh yeah? You’re the one, AmanDUH…that’s gonna be embarrassed!!”

“Trip McNeeeley!”

That was a throw it on while we’re hanging out in the basement, early HS years staple for my friends and I.
I still say my friend Amanda's name like that 100% of the time because of this.

I think having a full roster is crucial in the development of freshmen. If our upper classmen help groom them to work hard and teach them how physical the game is at this level, they have a shot at growing quickly. When you are practicing against only Paddy Casey and the like, no offense to them, they can only hope to be able to match Paddy Casey and the like. Joe is not as athletic as the young guys, but he has competed against ACC competition for three years. He needs to show them what to expect going up against Duke. Symir has to do the same. Push them and be physical so that there are no surprises. The big guys have to do even worse. Do you remember how Benny was completely outmatched on the block against the guy from Indiana? He was unprepared. He had noone to show him what to expect in a situation like that. I want Jesse and Benny and anyone else we get down low to beat on the new guys so that they learn how to combat against that. We need some alumni to come back for the summer and beat the crap out of these guys all summer.
Yup.

I don't think Elijah Hughes makes the NBA if he doesn't spend a year battling Tyus Battle in practice everyday.

Just saw a clip of John Wallace talking with Devendorf and Joseph the other day, about how he and Glen Sekunda went at it in practice his freshman year.

Now John’s main point was that he was the better player at everything other than outside shooting, and how Boeheim told him he’d start because he was the best rebounder on the team….but the level of competitiveness it brought out from him was evident when Wallace was talking about it. And Sekunda could play! He had his moments when he got the chance at Cuse, and then went to Penn State and put up numbers.

We need PT battles between kids that can play.

Just saw a clip of John Wallace talking with Devendorf and Joseph the other day, about how he and Glen Sekunda went at it in practice his freshman year.

Now John’s main point was that he was the better player at everything other than outside shooting, and how Boeheim told him he’d start because he was the best rebounder on the team….but the level of competitiveness it brought out from him was evident when Wallace was talking about it. And Sekunda could play! He had his moments when he got the chance at Cuse, and then went to Penn State and put up numbers.

I liked Glen and was sorry to see him go.

If there is interest, we can try. We should do a board chat soon for hoops. Maybe after Cole decides and we see who we get from the portal. Mike Waters might be a better choice though.
I was actually joking about this Piscatelli person but a chat with Mike would be fabulous!

Absolutely, we need a full roster that can compete against eachother and make eachother better. I think that would have benefited both Boeheim boys, but I think JB was afraid of that competition. Hopefully now that they are gone, we can get back to that basic truth.

Absolutely, we need a full roster that can compete against eachother and make eachother better. I think that would have benefited both Boeheim boys, but I think JB was afraid of that competition. Hopefully now that they are gone, we can get back to that basic truth.
Maybe we’ll all be saying this every year in the “portal” era and it will be completely meaningless, but I have had “what ifs” of….

Kadary
Buddy
Quincy
Cole
Jesse
Joe
Braswell
Jimmy
Frank

And that’s the less “reasonable” one, that doesn’t realize 4 forwards wasn’t happening and Bras might’ve felt the heat and bounced.

But MAN, that above team would’ve been really good.

And even taking Bras out, still would’ve been good.

Kadary and Quincy leaving….will never seem right to me. We should’ve been really good this year.

Hopefully we’re getting back to it and it was just a one year pause. No assumed starters have transferrred yet, so that’s more normal. Depth and athleticism has gone up. Nothing like a good PG to be a potential program game changer IMO. I’m jacked up about the potential, today.

Back then practices were open at the dome. Freshman Wallace battled Sophomore Sekunda. I recall the practice battles between Bobby Lazor and John Wallace too in practices during Wallace’s junior/senior years.(Lazor was a freshman & sophomore) Lazor had the misfortune of sitting behind Wallace and transferred to Arizona State in his junior year - the year he would have gotten big time on the court at SU. He scored over 1000 points at ASU in just his 2 years there, averaging almost 18 ppg. Kid was a very good player but sat behind a great one in Wallace. Bet Wallace, Sekunda and Lazor improved so much battling each other in those competitive practices.

Back then practices were open at the dome. Freshman Wallace battled Sophomore Sekunda. I recall the practice battles between Bobby Lazor and John Wallace too in practices during Wallace’s junior/senior years.(Lazor was a freshman & sophomore) Lazor had the misfortune of sitting behind Wallace and transferred to Arizona State in his junior year - the year he would have gotten big time on the court at SU. He scored over 1000 points at ASU in just his 2 years there, averaging almost 18 ppg. Kid was a very good player but sat behind a great one in Wallace. Bet Wallace, Sekunda and Lazor improved so much battling each other in those competitive practices.
I know it is impossible to quantify, but how much do you think it benefited him going up against JW everyday at practice?

I always liked Charles Gelatt too!

The guys who stayed other than John were solid: Burgan and Jackson. And I guess McCorkle played that SF off the bench role his senior year, and was solid. That was some good talent going at it for minutes though.

Shame that Lazor left months before Walton didn’t qualify. He could’ve taken Wallace’s spot for 2 years after Wallace graduated. That’s just bad luck. 96-97 team with a Burgan, Lazor, Hill frontcourt would’ve easily been in the tourney. Of course - Blackwell probably doesn’t transfer in for 97-98 if Lazor is still here?

Those practices must have been intense. Great memories for you. A shame that the majority of that access isn't available like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom