Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing other that what I'm reading here, but couldn't O13's post and the info he heard be the leak you are asking about? So if he is coming to Syracuse, it was leaked.
his source is the leaker . . . is it too crude to call that source Deep Throat?

I appreciate the UK dude posting. He didn't come out guns blazing and he has a point. I have no proof that UK is doing any cheating, but there was the newspaper article about Anthony Davis getting a couple hundred G's, there were the stories from DC2 about UK offering him no academics required and a house for his girlfriend, etc. There is also the statistically unlikely fact that half of the Top 10 recruits seem to go there every year, which really shouldn't be possible in a fair system. However: I have no proof of any of wrongdoing.

The more important point right now is that at this stage of the game, I don't really think UK needs to pay players. Coach Cal has done an amazing job of building UK into a destination for these top players. What he is doing is fairly obvious stuff, but somehow nobody else had previously hit upon the full combination of things he has. He has top facilities, he has top fan support, he has a showman's personality, he is aggressively marketing UK as a trade school for the NBA, not a college, he surrounds the program with rappers, sports agents, sports company CEOs and the like, he outwardly revels in his guys leaving early. All of that is really appealing.

Look at Syracuse as a comparison: elite program, yes. Two final fours in the last 4 years. BUT, you have Boeheim out there publicly trashing players on the team, trashing players who want to leave early, giving the perception that he's submarining the draft stock of players who declare early (Ennis in particular). Frankly, Cal has shown this thing is not about coaching anymore, it is about salesmanship. And on that front, we couldn't have a worse guy than JB. I'm sure many reading this hate what I just said, but it is the way to go. Duke has come back strong because K became a combo of both. Other factors: Yes we have great facilities, but the living conditions are better at the palace UK has for players. At the Final Four, we have Joe Biden in the locker room. They have Jay Z. You tell me which is more appealing to a 19 year old. When a Top Recruit joins the DNC, maybe Joe Biden has an impact, ya know?

How UK gets away with the players having direct access to agents and business CEOs, I have absolutely no clue, but apparently the NCAA is totally fine with it, so what are we doing to adjust? Remember when UK won the championship and Anthony Davis bolted into the crowd to hug his mom - no sorry, my mistake, that was Phil Knight. A normal person says whaaaattt? But so be it, that is the competition, we have to adjust, not just be indignant.

This is a great post, very fair, and fact. I don't know what is exactly going on behind the scenes at Kentucky but it is easy to see why a recruit would want to play for Cal and UK. The proof is in the pudding and it probably appeals more to a stud recruit who's only aspiration is a quick stop-gap to the NBA and a recruit who wants attention. An Andrew White when he was recruited by Kansas probably never even gave Kentucky a look.

I have ZERO doubt Cal cares for his players and he is a good coach, obviously. One thing watching UK over the years is he gets them to play together and they pass up shots for better shots. I don't think just any coach out there could get these young kids to play so well together and he certainly is a good shrink for the team as he always seems to have a good pulse on the mindset of the team. JB could do all this most likely but some players, like you said, want to have the coach at the draft and all the hoopla surrounding the draft love, the locker room, dorms, etc. I get it.

If Gerry doesn't get him I really think the conversation about replacing him needs to happen if he's not able to right the recruiting ship.

Have also heard no NLI as yet. My source is you guys. You guys wouldn't steer me wrong would you?

Just like to pass a long what I've heard. Doesn't mean anything yet though. As long as it's dated before the deadline, he can send it in before / after his announcement.

Just like to pass a long what I've heard. Doesn't mean anything yet though. As long as it's dated before the deadline, he can send it in before / after his announcement.
or hand it to someone a week before :noidea:

Never thought I'd see the day when the SU women's program -- coming off a Final 4 appearance -- has seven recruits and a top 10 class while the men's program -- coming off a Final 4 appearance -- has one recruit and is struggling to piece together a respectable class.

Strange days indeed.

I've also heard that no NLI has been received yet.

He could have already signed it, and is holding on to it until after his announcement.

OR - maybe the staff just isn't telling anybody anything right now, to help the kid preserve the secrecy around his decision, so he can have his moment at the official announcement?

OR - maybe he really is going to Rutgers. :p

I hope I am wrong, but I hear there is no LOI and its Kentucky.

I'll gladly take whatever heat if I'm wrong...but I don't think I am.

Uggggghhhhh....

I trust info from two people on this site, I'm officially sad now.

I hope I am wrong, but I hear there is no LOI and its Kentucky.

I'll gladly take whatever heat if I'm wrong...but I don't think I am.

Ugh. Well, thanks for passing that info along.

Agree 100% with edowd above.

If it is true (hoping not), it's extra brutal due to timing... having someone like Washington likely signed his LOI, but if we had an opportunity earlier probably could have brought in without too much doubt. But since it's past the signing period most of those types are now locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.