Class of 2016 PG/SG Markelle Fultz (MD) Verballed to Washington

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by nyucuse, Jan 18, 2015.

1. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

He's playing in the Mary Kline tomorrow; I assume someone from our staff will be there. Last year Nick Resavy attended. Maybe they'll give him an offer tomorrow?:noidea:

tee1222 likes this.
  2. orangefog

orangefog All American

Yeah, I would have to agree. It is at least worthwhile to gauge his interest as long as his grades are in order.

tee1222 likes this.
  3. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Coaches can only attend games after the season in April and July. I guess Resavy not being officially an assistant allowed him that privilege to attend last year.

tee1222 and iommi like this.
  4. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

I'm actually not even sure he was still on the staff. I spoke to him and he was talking as if he was still on the staff but it wasn't long after the MKC he announced he was taking the job with the Nets in the video department.

There were coaches there last year from other teams. I was sitting next to a top assistant from Fordham and there were others there as well.:noidea:

tee1222 likes this.
  5. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Only exception a coaching staff member can have to attend a non live period event in the spring/summer is if their kid is in the event. Calipari for example was able to attend the Nike EYBL last weekend because his son was on one of the teams. JB will be able to do the same for his kids.

tee1222 likes this.
  6. Flacusian

Flacusian All Conference

The past 6 months have really been a unpleasant ride as a Cuse hoops fan. It just seems like a litany of disturbing and disappointing news. I'm hoping that the staff has some type of coherent plan with respect to recruiting that will provide us with some encouraging news in the next several months. But to the more than casual observer it seems like we have been swinging at pitches which have not been hittable. Cuse recruiting had really moved to a level that we hadn't seen in several decades and now it appears that the program is in some kind of quarantine.

With the departure of BJ and Buss it looked like there would be room to bring in talent which could make a difference. Right now BJ is looking like a commodity we could be better off to still have on board. Has the staff been victimized by putting all it's eggs in one basket? Did they or do they have a contingency plan now that some of our top targets which once seemed like such sure things have decided to go elsewhere? Jake posted that we may have some surprises in store this coming summer. God, I sure hope so.

Seeing many here questioning why we haven't offered kids like Fultz and some others has the red light flashing brightly. Is there some plan in place moving forward or are we really whiffing that bad and asleep in the folding chairs like the above picture depicts?

SoBeCuse and tee1222 like this.
  7. Francis03

Francis03 All American

We'll eventually get good players like we always do. I think the biggest problem for the staff to handle at the moment is dealing with the negative recruiting by others and the perception of the program. We're in the mix for a bunch of top 50 players in the 16-17 classes and several notable five stars. I wouldn't go in full panic mode until we really strike out on a bunch of other targets besides Battle.

SoBeCuse, Flacusian, JDubbin and 2 others like this.
  8. orangefog

orangefog All American

It also has to be tough moving forward in dealing with 5 star guys, because how do you tell a guy like Duval, "Don't worry, we are getting Simmons, but he is a one and done and you will have his spot." When it is possible that Simmons ends up staying for more than one year. With ten spots, there are no extras.

9. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Yup, the scholarship debacle is a major obstacle as well when it comes to figuring out the numbers for the present and future.

Flacusian and tee1222 like this.
  10. tee1222

tee1222 Living Legend

That's not true. Plenty of spots left for Duval as TR, DC2 and Chino would be gone by then. http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse
    No matter what guards are there, they still have to compete for pt no matter how highly tauted.

11. Madbiker

Madbiker All American

Francis, I agree with you. But how much of an issue do you think it is for class of 2017 kids (like Duval) that 2017/18 is supposed to be JB's last year as HC and the coaching situation is unsettled after that? For any kid anticipating to be a 2 year + player, they can't really be sure who is going to be HC since Hop is not being announced and now there is at least some element of doubt when prior to March there didn't seem to be any doubt. If I was a 2017, 2018 kid I might have uncertainty about SU and you can be sure that is being exploited by our competitors.

12. Flacusian

Flacusian All Conference

Dean, coming from you it is somewhat of a relief to hear the reassurance that eventually we will get good players like we always do. I think the program would do itself a favor if they were to provide some type of reassurance that Hop was going to assume the reins of the program when JB steps down. With the amount of uncertainty swirling around the program anything which would lend an air of stability could only help withing the realms of the recruiting world.

13. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Good points guys. I think once the new AD gets announced that we'll have some official clarity on Hop being the main guy moving forward when JB steps down.

14. phil77

phil77 All Conference

How did Fultz look this weekend at the Mary Kline?

15. syr14

syr14 Walk On

Offered by Kentucky.

torque likes this.
  16. sutomcat

sutomcat 2016 Iggy Winner Staff Member

That was a great call Francis...

17. reedny

reedny All American

Another good call. The man has INSTINCTS!

tee1222, torque and pearl31 like this.
  18. phil77

phil77 All Conference

Still don't understand why we never showed any interest in him. Crazy good prospect here.

19. NYCorange

NYCorange 2nd String

He verballed to Washington. Nice pick-up for the less annoying Huskies.

20. pearl31

pearl31 Hall of Fame

could be a job saver for Romar

tee1222 and MSOrange like this.