Class of 2017 - PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke

Yeah, I don't get it. We are worried that Diallo wouldn't come here if Mali comes back and Zona has four 5 star guards in two classes.

Yeah, it is frustrating to see other programs do this while we have lost out on some recruits because of the lack of immediate playing time. However, let's not forget, we have also been on the receiving end of it as well - that's how we landed G and we know how that ended up for us.

It helps when freshmen know they might actually get playing time. At SU, they wonder if they will even play if they don't start.

It helps when freshmen know they might actually get playing time. At SU, they wonder if they will even play if they don't start.
they'll play if they can contribute. Tyler lydon plays. Howard had a slow start, but once his defense firmed up, he played.

they'll play if they can contribute. Tyler lydon plays. Howard had a slow start, but once his defense firmed up, he played.
Maybe it's me but I thought Howard's defense was kind of sucky for much of the season. Too often he seemed to lack good awareness and instincts when to stay tight up top and would often more times than not collapse way too deep inside giving up open threes. Unlike Kaleb, he would always keep his arms up which is a plus. My hope is that things will get cleaned up and improve with more experience over time. He has the height and length to be a very good defender and cause problems for opponents at the top of the zone. Just needs to get the mental part down.

Maybe it's me but I thought Howard's defense was kind of sucky for much of the season. Too often he seemed to lack good awareness and instincts when to stay tight up top and would often more times than not collapse way too deep inside giving up open threes. Unlike Kaleb, he would always keep his arms up which is a plus. My hope is that things will get cleaned up and improve with more experience over time. He has the height and length to be a very good defender and cause problems for opponents at the top of the zone. Just needs to get the mental part down.
agree 100%

No doubt. It wasn't his arms or quickness (although he got beat down the middle like every freshman). It was more position. The collapsing you mentioned is exactly what I saw over and over. You could see him sink too low and too close to the middle (sometimes near the foul line). I kept thinking .. get back outside .. the wing's wide open. Then boom .. pass across his position and 3pointer. Just like that. Must have driven JB crazy.

But he's got good length, pretty good feet and he really sees the court well. We don't need him to be a volume scorer if Mali comes back. Just distribute the rock and take an occasional open shot to keep other teams honest.

No doubt. It wasn't his arms or quickness (although he got beat down the middle like every freshman). It was more position. The collapsing you mentioned is exactly what I saw over and over. You could see him sink too low and too close to the middle (sometimes near the foul line). I kept thinking .. get back outside .. the wing's wide open. Then boom .. pass across his position and 3pointer. Just like that. Must have driven JB crazy.

But he's got good length, pretty good feet and he really sees the court well. We don't need him to be a volume scorer if Mali comes back. Just distribute the rock and take an occasional open shot to keep other teams honest.
His passing, vision, and overall feel with the rock for somebody that has never played the PG position before arriving at SU was quite impressive. He was a talented scorer in HS, so the hope is with JB giving him a longer leash now that he'll be more relaxed and have the confidence to display it starting next season.

His passing, vision, and overall feel with the rock for somebody that has never played the PG position before arriving at SU was quite impressive. He was a talented scorer in HS, so the hope is with JB giving him a longer leash now that he'll be more relaxed and have the confidence to display it starting next season.
His confidence level definitely increased. I remember him taking some shots toward the end of the season (making them) and then telling the staff, like, basically .. f them, I was taking that. I'm not saying he's not coachable or anything. But you could see he was ready to tear off the leash .. which is what you want from a player. The last thing we need is another PG with a confidence issue.

Last edited:
reminds me of Klay
He reminds me of a host of one and gone players. Actually I doubt he comes her Çaliperi will no doubt promise him a lucrative pro contract as soon as he leaves the school because of his"contacts"!

He reminds me of a host of one and gone players. Actually I doubt he comes her Çaliperi will no doubt promise him a lucrative pro contract as soon as he leaves the school because of his"contacts"!
Ty Biggums what.png

Big fan of this guard and he's going to be really really good as the years go by. Plays HS ball at St. Benedict's(Ennis), and just won the Peach Jam with Briscoe and Diagne on the NJ Playaz. Early buzz has Nova already pressing hard, but I expect SU and other heavyweights to enter the equation soon.
What school is Duval at now?

Is Advanced Prep International? Because Ferguson is apparently heading overseas rather than play NCAA, and Mudiay did the same thing.

What school is Duval at now?

Is Advanced Prep International? Because Ferguson is apparently heading overseas rather than play NCAA, and Mudiay did the same thing.
Yes. Prime Prep, which has shut down is the supposed reason for T-Ferg and Mudiay's shaky academic situation. API, which is basically the carry over school for Prime Prep, claims their students will be in much better academic standing. What helps Duval is that unlike the other two players, he spent his first couple of years at St. Benedict's. It should set him up in a much better academic situation than if he was at Prime Prep during the prior years. Also it's not set yet that T-Ferg is going overseas. He's currently taking NCAA approved courses online, while he waits to hear if he'll get cleared or not.

orangefog said:
I love Duval as a player, and I really wanted us to go after him hard, but I understood that if JB and staff shut it down, it had to be something significant.
will be funny when duval transfers back to the northeast...