Class of 2023 - PG Trey Autry (Jamesville-Dewitt / OH) Verbal to George Washington | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PG Trey Autry (Jamesville-Dewitt / OH) Verbal to George Washington

Something is going on with Red and this “iron plan”. Estrella’s family wanted answers and if it was an easy walk up for Red to take over the program and he was the lead recruiter, they would have been told but they didn’t.

Something is going on with Red and this “iron plan”. Estrella’s family wanted answers and if it was an easy walk up for Red to take over the program and he was the lead recruiter, they would have been told but they didn’t.
Have heard same with regard to Red taking over. Heard it may not be a slam dunk.

My suspicions are that there are members of the board that want to open up the process and not go internal.

Likely two factions.

Would explain the bi-polar reports I get from those who I think are connected to the program.

They’re just connected to different sides.

JW’s first real fight potentially.

Red might be secure in taking over for Boeheim. If so, smart move in insisting that your son go elsewhere. Taking over a struggling program from a legendary coach will be difficult enough that he doesn't need that personal interest of his own son being on the team, and the distractions/cries of favoritism it can cause like we just saw with Buddy and Jimmy.

If the other rumor that Boeheim is staying another 3 years, makes it hard for Red to coach his son.

Whatevs. This program is what it is until the AD makes a move. Right now, year-to-year is a terrible way to manage a program.

Red might be secure in taking over for Boeheim. If so, smart move in insisting that your son go elsewhere. Taking over a struggling program from a legendary coach will be difficult enough that he doesn't need that personal interest of his own son being on the team, and the distractions/cries of favoritism it can cause like we just saw with Buddy and Jimmy.
I don’t blame him. He doesn’t need any distractions because the spotlight will be very bright once he takes over

If the other rumor that Boeheim is staying another 3 years, makes it hard for Red to coach his son.

Whatevs. This program is what it is until the AD makes a move. Right now, year-to-year is a terrible way to manage a program.

Also with 7 newcomers, how is all of this bleeding into their world and the health of the locker room? That worries me as much as anything for the immediate future/upcoming season.

I mean, it could work.

Go hard on high end talent that isn't expected to play more than a season. Go nuts on burger boys and the portal.

And how do you do that?

NIL, baby! (Looking at you, Weitsman).

And I know, bees. NIL can't be a part of recruiting. It's fine. We all know.

But that's how it can be done.

The real question is when is the press briefing
Didn't Bulldog or someone say at the time of the "latest succession plan news" that there would be a public announcement early this fall sometime?

It was widely reported that Red was anointed behind the scenes, and that an announcement would be made soon. Then, when the Estrella family visited, it was reported that JB told them he planned on coaching a few more years, which is incongruent with the earlier reports.

It sounds like either there was not a plan, or that JB isn't going along with any plan, which likely means that Red is in limbo.

Which is probably why Trey isn't considering coming here.

I don’t believe JB will coach three more years.

I strongly believe this is his last.

This is not JB hanging on, this is a split among power brokers on which way to go post - JB.

I don’t believe JB will coach three more years.

I strongly believe this is his last.

This is not JB hanging on, this is a split among power brokers on which way to go post - JB.
I'm not so sure. I think JB wants to coach this frosh class as sophs. Not hand it off to someone else.

For what it's worth, in Spring 2022 (right after the season ended), Buddy went on a podcast and said his Dad doesn't talk about retirement, but he thinks he'll coach 1-3 more years, but not more than 3. So it's a very possible timeline.

I also believe that he wants to coach at least two years because he thinks the new guys will be really good the following year. This year will have ups and downs - as he's essentially acknowledged by creating an easy non-conference schedule. He's a competitor, and as much as he wants to leave the cupboard full for the next guy, he also doesn't want to leave right when he could have a special team that could make a deep run.

Have heard same with regard to Red taking over. Heard it may not be a slam dunk.

My suspicions are that there are members of the board that want to open up the process and not go internal.

Likely two factions.

Would explain the bi-polar reports I get from those who I think are connected to the program.

They’re just connected to different sides.

JW’s first real fight potentially.
There might be a 3rd faction as in make a run at Hop.

Sounds like a fundamental misalignment between JB and the Athletic Department.
All JAB has to do is coach another 15-20 years until Hop and Red retire and then Gmac becomes the default head coach.

I'm not so sure. I think JB wants to coach this frosh class as sophs. Not hand it off to someone else.
And this is the issue.

JB has to accept the fact that he will (at some point) be recruiting kids that he won’t end up coaching.

I think he’s going to have a hard time recruiting a player to come here but then being ok with not coaching that player.

yep and this is where you need a strong AD willing/able to make the hard decisions - here's hoping...

If I'm ADJW, here's my decision matrix for JAB's retirement.

If, this season:
  • he goes undefeated, and wins a Natty - he retires after this season
  • if he wins whatever # of games, including any in post-season - he retires after this season.
  • if he wins zero games - he retires after this season. (maybe sooner)
tl/dr - regardless of what does or doesn't happen this upcoming season - he retires after this season.

yep and this is where you need a strong AD willing/able to make the hard decisions - here's hoping...

How do you know JW and JB don’t have an agreement on the when?