PGA and LIV merge | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PGA and LIV merge

I think the PGA Tour with majority tournaments in the US is very American. I didn't post my comment to argue. I'm just saying the Saudis are starting to buy into certain areas (WWE being the first domino). We'll see if the big four sports leagues get involved.
The PGA is not going away as an entity, `PIF isn’t buying the PGA.

The top tier is likely to be a hybrid that is not locked into any one tour.

One of the non-NFL football leagues should call the Saudis

Monahan is a hypocrite who should not be involved with the future of golf. I love what the PGA has done with the elevated events in response to the LIV tour and will withhold judgment until next year's schedule is released, but this seems like a real 180 degree that has left a lot of people scratching their head and backtracking their comments over the past year. Monahans comments are just sad coming from someone who was the supposed leader of the PGA and has obviously sold out his sole.

I'm not saying that in the long run that this isn't in the best interest in golf, as it is, but being rolled out as it was, is a bad way to reward the players who were loyal to the game.

Ignorance on display. No one can pick up clubs very late and be good at the pro level. That especially is true with the mental side at the highest level. Golfing is so tough mentally, because your opponent (the course) doesn’t make mistakes to give you an advantage, unlike every other sport.
  • Gary Woodland walked on to the basketball team at Kansas.
  • Tony Finau grew up poor and was an all-state HS bball player in Utah. Could've easily played college ball.
  • Dustin Johnson is a freak athlete who by all accounts could've gotten scholarships for multiple sports.
  • Scottie Scheffler played multiple sports at Highland Park in Dallas. Same HS that produced Matt Stafford and Clayton Kershaw.
  • Kevin Roy from 'Cuse and Bellevue played bball at Bishop Ludden.

I love the idea of new event types. Golf was in need of something new and fresh. Other than the majors and a couple others, there wasn’t much reason to tune in unless you had nothing else to do.

I hate the association with LIV and the Saudi pieces of garbage. The reality of the situation was LIV could lose money indefinitely and not bat an eyelash. They’d leach viewership from the PGA while the PGA simultaneously tried to get more money from sponsors to pay players competitive amounts. If LIV was a normal company that needed to eventually turn a profit, the PGA could have waited them out and probably won. LIV wasn’t normal.

Sucks for the PGA guys who went to bat. They got the shaft while the LIV guys get to feel righteous.

Last edited:
Plain and simple...the Saudis now own golf. PERIOD!
Does America have the dignity to not support the sport anymore or do we just not care?
It's really mind-blowing if you think about it. The sovereign fund of the country most responsible for 9/11 is now the primary investor in what the PGA Tour's about to become.

Says the guy in a band who's charging how much per seat...
This is the first tour I didn't buy a Springsteen ticket. But that's another conversation for another day.

That’s kind of hilarious

Have to love these LIV loving morons, who still think its LIV is the s@it, and its LIV vs the PGA, without realizing that LIV will be quickly thrown aside or significantly downsized once the merger is complete.

It was always PIF vs the PGA, and PIF wanting into the PGA. LIV was their way into the golf corporate world (they hoped but were never really successful). Now that it has served as the vehicle to get all the way into the PGA, LIV is going to get thrown aside... just like Greg Norman.

This is not an endorsement of any side (past, present or future -- professional golf has always had a high jerk factor as you have seen in my many posts) -- but more a critique of a somewhat delusional, humourous and small fanbase

Should be some interesting tidbits.
Hopefully some information on Phil's good timing on a "share option" for a company that just happened to be sold a few days later.

Am I the only that doesn't care what Phil or other big gamblers like Michael Jordan spend on betting? They are in a different universe financially and what seems outrageous to the normal person doesn't really apply to people with that kind of money.

Am I the only that doesn't care what Phil or other big gamblers like Michael Jordan spend on betting? They are in a different universe financially and what seems outrageous to the normal person doesn't really apply to people with that kind of money.

It’s undeniably a different level of money. I think the curiosity comes into play when it affects, or may be speculated to affect, the person’s performance and/or the integrity of the game.
If his motivation for joining LIV was to get out of financial debt, as some have theorized, that certainly makes his remarks to the press over the last year look even more disingenuous.

Billy Walters is the person that gave Phil the insider trading tip that got Phil investigated by the FBI -- Phil only got off because apparently Billy was just the middle guy.

His gambling is more of an amusing story -- insider trading is a very serious issue. It would be interesting to see what Walters says about the stock tip -- or if he even addresses it.

I think the gambling numbers are way overstated. I'm sure he bet a ton of money but the billion dollar number seems spiced up.

It’s undeniably a different level of money. I think the curiosity comes into play when it affects, or may be speculated to affect, the person’s performance and/or the integrity of the game.
If his motivation for joining LIV was to get out of financial debt, as some have theorized, that certainly makes his remarks to the press over the last year look even more disingenuous.
Agree. I don't really care about the amount. I'm also curious if it impacted the integrity of the game and also to see if more of Phil's "Eddie Haskell" personal will unravel on him.

The other thing with Phil is that his team had always marketed him with the clean cut, I am a great guy, just "one of you" gimmick. Yes, I call it a gimmick -- one that has all unraveled to others in recent years -- it was clear to me well before that. Guy was a phony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom