Pitt Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Postgame Thoughts

22-9-4-3. Nice stat stuffer from Q. Not to mention 3-4 hustle plays.

defense was great in the 2nd half. I feel relevant again.
Not quite there yet. We can beat so so teams. And we haven't lost to then so that is a plus. But we have to be able to beat a really good team. We have them in front of us. So far, I don't see it but hope very much to be wrong.

Grit.

Huge win. Exactly the type of L we used to accumulate. But, down 11 with nothing falling & Pitt making everything difficult & we grind back into it & win going away.

The only downside is the lack of depth. We have 9 players, but only 5 are bringing the spark. Hopefully Red figures out what to do w Taylor, Bell, Cuffe, & Naheem besides benching them for whole halves.
Bench them for whole games. Seriously, if any of them portaled they could be replaced. Just use them when you have to. They are downgrades from our best 5. Taylor is not an ACC pf. He could play some at the 2 and 3 until Chance is healthy. Bell is one dimensional and McLeod is slow.

Bench them for whole games. Seriously, if any of them portaled they could be replaced. Just use them when you have to. They are downgrades from our best 5. Taylor is not an ACC pf. He could play some at the 2 and 3 until is healthy. Bell is one dimensional and McLeod is slow.
This isn't 95/96. Can't play the whole game w 5.5 players. I think we're going to need them all before the year is over.

That said, I do agree they aren't bringing much.

Taylor is just not ready for big time ACC minutes. He’s completely overmatched at the defensive end, he cannot keep his man in front of him. And like Bell, when his shot is not falling, he doesn’t bring much else to the table.
I think they'll be alright. They gotta work their way through it and find their way. I like the way Red is giving them the opportunity but knowing when to pull them out. We need them to find their way to contribute because they are clearly important pieces to the puzzle.

Taylor is just not ready for big time ACC minutes. He’s completely overmatched at the defensive end, he cannot keep his man in front of him. And like Bell, when his shot is not falling, he doesn’t bring much else to the table.
FWIW Taylor’s defensive metrics are pretty good on the season. He was tied with Judah coming into the game in defensive win shares in significantly less minutes. He and Bell probably should be staggered, but that‘s it. McLeod is much more of a liability than either of those guys IMO.

We saw plays in the second half
We haven’t seen in a long time. Brown had a backdoor cut. Perfect seal and entry passes for layups. Picking the pocket leading to fast breaks. This is all because plays are drawn up by the coach. He watched the game and made changes. We haven’t seen that in forever and that’s what got them back into the game and taking control

Not quite there yet. We can beat so so teams. And we haven't lost to then so that is a plus. But we have to be able to beat a really good team. We have them in front of us. So far, I don't see it but hope very much to be wrong.
We don’t have to beat the really good teams to dance simply because there aren’t that many that fit this bill. Just be competitive in those games and beat all the others.

A more (at all?) engaged crowd would be helpful. Put the students next to the sideline or something.

The "regular" fans are simply a waste there.
Are you serious? The crowd was as loud as I have heard it in years. I feel like the crowd “willed” the defense to come alive in the second half when we were down 11.

Are you serious? The crowd was as loud as I have heard it in years. I feel like the crowd “willed” the defense to come alive in the second half when we were down 11.

It was better today. That has not been the case this season in total. And it far lags exciting environments that are happening all over the country, from what I see on TV

And just to add to this point...this is really not my opinion...when I watch games with other people, non Syracuse fans, on TV, they resoundingly have said (this year, last few years) that the Dome crowd looks apathetically boring. From November to March.

The views of "non-partisans" is more telling than my view on this subject. It just hasn't been good for a while now. Again compared to what Basketball focused places in the Big 12, Big East, etc are doing.

who would be considered “really good“ in the ACC?

duke, unc, and Clemson? That it?

And just to add to this point...this is really not my opinion...when I watch games with other people, non Syracuse fans, on TV, they resoundingly have said (this year, last few years) that the Dome crowd looks apathetically boring. From November to March.

The views of "non-partisans" is more telling than my view on this subject. It just hasn't been good for a while now. Again compared to what Basketball focused places in the Big 12, Big East, etc are doing.
Sorry, but trying to judge an environment based on what you are watching on tv is more than a bit bizarre. Turn the volume up and the crowd will seem MUCH louder!

Did I miss a TV timeout rule change? They called a “media timeout” at 4:17 left in the first half and then kept playing at the clock stoppage under 4 minutes. I was so confused

although his early rebound numbers were good i'll echo the above statements and say justin taylor is in no way a power forward in the ACC . he's a 6'6 rangy 2-3 swing who best develop a consistent stroke if he wants PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom