PJ Fleck | Syracusefan.com

PJ Fleck

anomander

Living Legend
Just from the research I have been doing the past few days, I would make Fleck my #1 target. Fleck has a lot going for him. He's the youngest HC in the country, a proven program builder, one of the best recruiters in the country (at any level), and comes from the offensive side of the ball. Some other things going for him that should make it feasible.

- He's currently making under $400k. I think he would jump at a decent offer from us, with a decent sized assistant pool. We could probably even save some money based on his experience, and extend him as it sees fit.

- He coached at Rutgers for a year. He recruits mostly midwest, especially Michigan, but a guy like Fleck can get it done anywhere.

- He was hired by NIU as OC, and Passing game coordinator, so he brings a fun, exciting offense.

- He's so young I think many of the top schools who will have openings will pass on him. I've seeen 1 article from a UMD journo saying UMD should go after him, but that's it. I think he blows up after this year, so going affter him this year would be perfect timing.

Another thing. This guy seems very unique, outside of the box thinker. This is something we need, getting away from the meatheadedness we've had the past 15 years.

Here is some more info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Fleck

http://www.forbes.com/sites/donyaeg...o-turn-your-team-around-from-coach-p-j-fleck/

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/05/pj-fleck-western-michigan-recruiting

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2711/class/2014

Sign me up. This is the right type of profile, IMO. Would love to see him on the short list.

It will be interesting to see who Coyle tabs. I have a feeling it is going to be somebody that nobody is mentioning as a prospective candidate.

fellas keep in mind that he coached at Rutgers. As much as I hate to say that could be more appealing to him. I have to guess Flood is out of there after the season.

PAcuse said:
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2014/12/western_michigans_pj_fleck.html $800K a year Fleck's base salary, which comes from university funds, will increase $15,000 to $225,000 annually. The other $575,000 guaranteed annually will come from private donors. He also has bonus incentives, although the terms of those, nor his buyout clause were disclosed Thursday.

Even Fleck has boosters paying a good chunk of his salary. I thought that was reserved for the $3m+ guys.

Buck up people.

fellas keep in mind that he coached at Rutgers. As much as I hate to say that could be more appealing to him. I have to guess Flood is out of there after the season.
Who knows if he has any allegiance to Rutgers. He names Greg Schiano as on of his main influences and he followed him to Tampa Bay.

This guy seems very unique, outside of the box thinker.
Can you expound on this statement?

Fleck seems like a good recruiter but my preference is an Air Raid guy or someone with a proven skill. Where has Fleck demonstrated that he's innovative?

Hell yes I would love Fleck. If Frost wants the job, however, I think he is the leader..

I think Fleck and Campbell are the two best options that we could realistically get if they fire Shaf. I don't want a guy that took over a winning team and just continued to win, ala Harsin, Frost, etc. Give me a guy that has built a winner from the ground up.

I think Fleck and Campbell are the two best options that we could realistically get if they fire Shaf. I don't want a guy that took over a winning team and just continued to win, ala Harsin, Frost, etc. Give me a guy that has built a winner from the ground up.
I like Campbell too.

Can you expound on this statement?

Fleck seems like a good recruiter but my preference is an Air Raid guy or someone with a proven skill. Where has Fleck demonstrated that he's innovative?

My statement meant more relating to his personality, and approach to certain aspects of managing a team, then it did to X's and O's. For example read the Forbes article I linked in the OP.

I also would prefer an Air-Raid guy, but I don't think someone like Babers is a realistic option for us. Phil Montgomery would be interesting, but I don't believe he has any ties to the Northeast? Fleck is an offensive guy, and airs it out, but he also attempts to establish the run game. I think he would absolutely knock it out of the park in recruiting. If he had a top 35 class at WMU, he could have top 25 classes here. With that talent you can give yourself different ways to be successful.

My statement meant more relating to his personality, and approach to certain aspects of managing a team, then it did to X's and O's. For example read the Forbes article I linked in the OP.

I also would prefer an Air-Raid guy, but I don't think someone like Babers is a realistic option for us. Phil Montgomery would be interesting, but I don't believe he has any ties to the Northeast? Fleck is an offensive guy, and airs it out, but he also attempts to establish the run game. I think he would absolutely knock it out of the park in recruiting. If he had a top 35 class at WMU, he could have top 25 classes here. With that talent you can give yourself different ways to be successful.
That's fair. But why is Babers not a realistic option for us?

Those are my top three.

I like all 3, but I don't think Babers is realistic, and he's a bit older. Who knows maybe if we were to get him and he's successful, maybe he sticks here, but I think he's headed for UMD, or VT with their history off offensive issues.

I think we can get Campbell, but the more I look into it, the more I prefer Fleck to him. I think he run's a more exciting offense, and I think Fleck would bring in much better talent. Not to mention Fleck has proven he can build a program. WMU had 1 win his 1st year, the following year he's in the running for national coach of the year. I mean the guy was bringing in 4 stars (that would actually qualify) to WMU.

Now Frost is an interesting candidate. Makes me nervous that he will have no ties at all to the area, but I would love to see his offense on the turf. This may actually be the most realistic to get.

But anyways my current list.

1. Fleck
2. Frost
3. Babers
4. Campbell

I wouldn't mind going after some of the top FCS coaches either.

Last edited:
That's fair. But why is Babers not a realistic option for us?

imo I think we will get outbid. I think UMD, and VT go after him, or maybe even someone like South Carolina. I think perception would get us, and he will go for the more perceived program.