Players Returning Next Year | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

Strength is more important than height IMO. We are weak and we have been weak for a lot of years now.

Exactly! That's why I've been saying, "get somebody who's really good at a G5, or low P5 team". All the 6-9 and taller guys who can shoot from outside are already on Top 50 teams.

Get me a guy who is 6-8, 230-240, who has decent footwork underneath, and can step out and make an outside shot.

That kid for LeMoyne, Southerland, is their stretch 4 at 6-7, 220. We need somebody just a bit bigger than that, but those kids are out there. That's about the same size as Maliq & Taylor.

I won't argue argue most of this, but Moore's composite ranking has him in the top 100. Rivals he's 53 and 247 he is 54. ESPN not even having him listed brings him down. I do think he can help us next year if he can play in a structured environment and improve his shot selection. Something both he and Ian Jackson have struggled with.

He's in a perfect spot next year; not expected to be a PG as so many freshman combo guards have been asked to do in the recent past. He only has to play the Dion role off the bench; give us some instant offense. He's got the swag to do that.

Yes but we will see how this shakes out. Will be an interesting couple of weeks.
Interesting development… would the donors want to throw money at a comparable or better PG that’s not Judah?

Didn't we used to win as the team with big guys / long wingspans?

I feel like that recipe is what made us successful.

We're just small and not as balanced/talented at the 4-5 as we once were.

edit - although 2009-10, we were 30-5 with a pretty small team who could score... until the game vs. Butler, when we couldn't.

Even in 2010, we had twin low post players (and Jackson could play the high post as the 4) who were 6-9 and 6-10 and both weigh 235-255 pounds. Big strong guys. Wes Johnson was "only" 6-8 and 210-215, but he had incredible hops and provided lots of blocks from the weak side. We also Kris Joseph as a 6-7, 220 starter, and Southerland off the bench, another 6-8 guy with springs, IIRC. So, even that team wasn't "small", at least not until Arinze got hurt.

What a time to be alive.

We bring Judah back, we’re running Judah’s offense, not Reds.

The above is my opinion only.

Not to say anything about our starting guards’ defense and how much pressure that will put on our frontline.

The Ringer’s updated 2024 mock draft came out and their big board. Judah is nowhere to be found.

We bring Judah back, we’re running Judah’s offense, not Reds.

The above is my opinion only.

Not to say anything about our starting guards’ defense and how much pressure that will put on our frontline.

The Ringer’s updated 2024 mock draft came out and their big board. Judah is nowhere to be found.

Yeah, I kind of agree. His ego is going to demand the most bucks, and we'll see a lot of "this is MY team" basketball. I think the rest of the team, plus a couple guys, could be really good, and have better chemistry.

Talk about Bells defense - get showered in likes. Talk about JJs - woah settle down there buddy.
IT'S WEIRD, RIGHT

MAYBE A THREAD ON THAT COULD HAVE LED TO SOME INTERESTING CONVERSATION IF IT HADN'T BEEN IMMEDIATELY MISINTERPRETED

Didn't we used to win as the team with big guys / long wingspans?

I feel like that recipe is what made us successful.

We're just small and not as balanced/talented at the 4-5 as we once were.

edit - although 2009-10, we were 30-5 with a pretty small team who could score... until the game vs. Butler, when we couldn't.
We played zone, you’re describing Louisville and Florida St.

Two exquisite sources of mine believe there will be no run back.
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Two exquisite sources of mine believe there will be no run back.
My personal opinion would be Q, Brown, JJ, Cuffe, Westry, and one of the centers, Freeman, Moore, maybe Bell off the bench and bring in another combo guard, a center and 2 forwards

Bell can't play the 2 because he is a traffic cone, but JJ can? Why can people only get their heads around Bell being bad at defense and not JJ? I don't want Bell playing the two over JJ, but mainly because he has a limited offensive game. Our defense at the 2 would be the same or (hot take) better with Bell there instead of JJ. His problem guarding forwards was often getting out muscled by his forward match up. Also horrible instincts when it comes to rim protection, which happens a lot more guarding forwards. He is quick for his height. JJ whether it is 1v1 or making decisions with team defense, he was overall just as atrocious as Bell. His IQ on D was Russel Westbrook levels of bad. Getting JJ out of the starting backcourt is crucial if we want to improve next season!

Hilarious that certain people demand one guy gets off the team or out of the starting lineup due to their flaws, but with others it's just "oh don't worry I am sure he will improve massively."
To be clear, I’m not calling for Bell to leave, just not play the two. JJ is horrible on defense as well, but he can dribble some, and has a very good midrange pull-up game.

I absolutely agree with this take.

McLeod has his problems, but he is an elite shotblocker. Having him to shut down the middle had a big effect on games before his injury. We might beat Clemson if we had him instead of Taylor next to Brown.

We were completely dominated inside in both games, with Clemson shooting 67% and 68% from 2 pointers in those two games. We also gave up 7.5 offensive rebounds a game in spite of Clemson rarely missing. McLeod isn't a great rebounder, but it wouldn't have been so painful to watch if he was in there for 20 minutes a game.
But he doesnt play for 20 minutes a game, and it’s hard to imagine he ever can. This year was his best and he only averaged 14.4 mpg. And only played in 14 games. I don’t understand why anyone thinks we’ll ever get anything out of this kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom