Players Returning Next Year | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

I was happy Red went outside the family with Straughn. If GMac leaves I think he needs something similar but more focused on an offensive minded coach
If Red has the same coaching staff next year, they need to do something different.

I would have each of the 4 coaches go to a coaching camp, each with a different successful coach. They would be instructed to go with the plan of bringing something new to the coaches room to make an incremental improvement to how the program is run.

Even JB after becoming a Hall of Fame coach said he learned a lot from Coach K during his Olympics gigs.

Clearly this coaching staff needs something from outside to help them move Syracuse forward.

The embarrassing blowout losses to equal or lesser talent teams are just ridiculous.

Does the NBA have to give assessments to everyone who asks? I get that the JJ call would take three seconds but can hundreds of players ask how'd they fare and the league has to respond?

I just can't imagine that call - "JJ who? Oh the S guy who can't dribble with his left hand, doesn't guard and may be the worst passer on the planet? Yeah tell him to declare.".

I mean someone affiliated with the league has to do that for any player who ask for an evaluation?

Agreed. and no idea on the answer. It seems absurd on its face.

If Red has the same coaching staff next year, they need to do something different.

I would have each of the 4 coaches go to a coaching camp, each with a different successful coach. They would be instructed to go with the plan of bringing something new to the coaches room to make an incremental improvement to how the program is run.

Even JB after becoming a Hall of Fame coach said he learned a lot from Coach K during his Olympics gigs.

Clearly this coaching staff needs something from outside to help them move Syracuse forward.

The embarrassing blowout losses to equal or lesser talent teams are just ridiculous.
I don't get the issue with blaming the coaching. We are starting to get better players. Based on the predictions made before the season nobody thought we would be great. The roster these guys took over from JB was flawed. You got your outside guy in Straughn. I guess people are angry so they need to voice their frustration somewhere.

I don't get the issue with blaming the coaching. We are starting to get better players. Based on the predictions made before the season nobody thought we would be great. The roster these guys took over from JB was flawed. You got your outside guy in Straughn. I guess people are angry so they need to voice their frustration somewhere.
Need to blow it up, Start anew with Freeman, Moore, Brown, Chance if healthy, and add new players from the portal, might keep Cuffe as a backup.

I agree with everything you just said.

I also think the coaches need dramatic improvement.

The offense is disorganized, the defense is disorganized.

The players being inconsistent is on them, but the team as a whole, having little to no consistent, coherent strategy on either side of the ball is absolutely on the coaching staff.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with this take.

McLeod has his problems, but he is an elite shotblocker. Having him to shut down the middle had a big effect on games before his injury. We might beat Clemson if we had him instead of Taylor next to Brown.

We were completely dominated inside in both games, with Clemson shooting 67% and 68% from 2 pointers in those two games. We also gave up 7.5 offensive rebounds a game in spite of Clemson rarely missing. McLeod isn't a great rebounder, but it wouldn't have been so painful to watch if he was in there for 20 minutes a game.

You mean like the three games in Maui where we got steamrolled?

I agree with everything you just said.

I also think the coaches need dramatic improvement.

The offense is disorganized, the defense is disorganized.

The players being inconsistent is on them, but the team as a whole, having little to know consistent, coherent strategy on either side of the ball is absolutely on the coaching staff.

It’s a puzzle to put all these pieces together installing a new system and losing so many pieces you thought you would have. Winning 20 games despite that is a major accomplishment even if it was a rollercoaster year. I don’t think our strategy and game plans were junk at all. We had a lot of poor execution with the guys healthy enough or willing to play and amongst a lot of different personalities.

Last edited:
Maliq, JJ, Chance and Cuffe for starters are ideal kids for this staff to mold into what we want paired with the frosh. Q is this version of SU’s Devo but with the right group around him can be a great piece to add in that edge. Taylor needs to step down in competition level and i hope he crushes it. Bell and Judah both seem to fly to their own tune vs the coaching staffs despite their talent levels. Don’t know what to make of that but I don’t think it’s a fit to do everything we want in year two of Red if both stay. Carey, Hima move on with Taylor and the other two or one of the other two. McLeod and Patterson 7 footers as depth. Bring in some heavy hitting hired guns from the portal at PG and C or both depending on who goes and who stays

I don't get the issue with blaming the coaching. We are starting to get better players. Based on the predictions made before the season nobody thought we would be great.
Some of that is people being honest that few first year coaches really blow expectations out of the water. Based on the amount of time I spend on this stupid site, it seems that most posters fall into a couple of different camps:
1) Most, if not all, of the players are good enough, but they should return to get needed experience and time in Red's system to excel.​
2) Most, if not all, of the players are NOT good enough, need talent infusion, stat.​
3) Close! Just need a couple of portal guys to improve depth and we're there!​
4) FrancoPizza (I kid, I kid ... kinda.)​

Personally, I'm in camp 2. I don't think they're going to win anything of note with two of the best three (likely returning) starters playing defense on a (very) part time basis. Maliq is fine, Cope is a good enough 6th man, after that, from this year's team, I don't know who else I'm excited to see return. And that is at my pessimistic. Optimistically, I think Cuffe and JJ can improve to be average guards, Bell could be all-ACC if everything clicks - but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
After sleeping on it I have concluded that there is nobody on this team currently I would feel bad recruiting over and if those players leave because they got recruited over then so be it. In my opinion that should be Red's mindset.

It’s almost like you haven’t observed any results this staff has put up over the past decade. I’ll pick specifically on GMac. Tell me what makes him a great coach?

It’s almost like you haven’t observed any results this staff has put up over the past decade. I’ll pick specifically on GMac. Tell me what makes him a great coach?
Because 9 of those years with with their hands tied behind their back with Jim Boeheim as coach. Nobody was succeeding under those circumstances. Even Hops recruiting started to fall off at the end because JB got lazy. FTR Gmac brought in Brown and Copeland. The only season that this staff should be judged on is the one that currently is ending and I suspect JW thinks the same or else he wouldn't have approved hiring these guys last year and giving 2 of them a promotion.

We need to stop fishing for 12 inch trout and land some whales in the portal. I think we will finally to do that.
we have two highly regarded freshmen coming in and a core of juniors. I think many fans underestimate the problem that our 19 and 20 year olds often went up against 22 to 25 year old players this year.

Responding to PokerCuse long post above. I've noticed that when people don't respond pissed off then it usually means you're right. I agree with almost everything so nice work. Few tweaks:

-Taylor will leave on his own day 1 of portal. The kid has friends and family that showed up to the dome to hear him get boo'ed on his own home court and that will not sit well. Like him or not he doesn't fit the Autry system. He'll be back in the DMV area playing ball off the bench next year. Results on court speak for themselves despite hard work.

-Carey is 21, but with the body of a 16 year old and the injury history of Mr Glass. This is the one guy Autry needs to push out the door. Call it tough love but I don't see him contributing at all next year even deep off bench.

-Bell. I think will be the one that surprises and scares us all with an early entry into the portal. This kid is a mystery. Capable of winning games on his own but such a defensive and mental liability. There may be top tier teams that are willing to give him a huge bag just for his jumper. We'll of course match the # (no more Jesse debacles). He's Autry's #1 project and you can see the oncourt coaching real time, so much talent that needs to be harnessed.

-Judah. This is the #1 decision that will drive every other decision and what we do in the portal. Autry needs to decide if he wants to run a Judah offense back again. Such a polarizing player for not just our fanbase but the whole league. My gut says it's a No and it will be a mutual departure. Judah hates hates hates the ACC refs. I suspect he will be G League bound although who knows if he will take a big bag at a school that is ok with just giving him the keys and letting him do whatever he wants. Will be tough not seeing him in Orange, but I suspect in the long run a true facilitator will outweigh his production. If by some miracle he's back in Orange I'll be happy but also be worried too. Fun fact, Judah finish 4th in scoring. Of the top 25 scorers in the ACC 20 of them are Sr's / Super Srs leaving. Judah would be the best returning guard in the league with only Sallis and Burton that are even close to him. Interesting to see JJ for how streaky he was early on still finished 26th in the ACC in scoring.

No one isn’t believing it or understanding it. This isn’t organic chem. The issue is that the feedback will be a mile long bc of how far from the NBA he is.

Anyone who actually watches the NBA knows that JJ has no shot.
90 percent of the guys that get evaluated have “no shot”. It opens doors, gets name out etc. also positions him better for NIL. JJ has better potential that Judah

Judah hates hates hates the ACC refs.
hates the refs ? does he think he deserves a foul every drive ? kid shot 264 ft's ! that's more than 2 pg (8.3) than the #2 guy (6.3) . it's crazy the number of whistles he draws .
too bad getting to the line is basically his only outstanding skill set. NBA don't care.

Some of that is people being honest that few first year coaches really blow expectations out of the water. Based on the amount of time I spend on this stupid site, it seems that most posters fall into a couple of different camps:
1) Most, if not all, of the players are good enough, but they should return to get needed experience and time in Red's system to excel.​
2) Most, if not all, of the players are NOT good enough, need talent infusion, stat.​
3) Close! Just need a couple of portal guys to improve depth and we're there!​
4) FrancoPizza (I kid, I kid ... kinda.)​

Personally, I'm in camp 2. I don't think they're going to win anything of note with two of the best three (likely returning) starters playing defense on a (very) part time basis. Maliq is fine, Cope is a good enough 6th man, after that, from this year's team, I don't know who else I'm excited to see return. And that is at my pessimistic. Optimistically, I think Cuffe and JJ can improve to be average guards, Bell could be all-ACC if everything clicks - but I won't hold my breath.
I know my main concern is the talent available via the portal. Our guys are far from perfect but I’m not confident that there are enough guys that are an improvement that we can land.

Weird landscape with Covid super seniors but continuity is an advantage, especially with upperclassmen. Ideally we can land a veteran PG and C. Guys that can bring maturity and toughness. Two major items we’ve been lacking over the last few years.

Probably too optimistic but think those additions plus the frosh and a healthy Westry to a core of Brown/Bell/JJ/Cope is an improvement on this year and a tourney team.

I know my main concern is the talent available via the portal. Our guys are far from perfect but I’m not confident that there are enough guys that are an improvement that we can land.

Weird landscape with Covid super seniors but continuity is an advantage, especially with upperclassmen. Ideally we can land a veteran PG and C. Guys that can bring maturity and toughness. Two major items we’ve been lacking over the last few years.

Probably too optimistic but think those additions plus the frosh and a healthy Westry to a core of Brown/Bell/JJ/Cope is an improvement on this year and a tourney team.
yep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom