Poll: Baseball or Hockey? | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Baseball or Hockey?

Baseball or Men's Hockey within 5 years, which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Ok...hypothetical...with your choice SU adds whatever women's sport to keep Title IX in compliance.
Include what women's sport to add in your comments. Gymnastics for me.

Have at it: I already record SU2NASA for no hockey :bat:

Last edited:
how about baseball on a ice rink...can you imaging sliding in to home plate.

Feck baseball. I don't care how good they were when John DeFrancisco played at SU.

If wrestling won't be reinstated then hockey is a no-brainer. Bring 10 Canucks south of the border and curbstomp Hockey East.

Edit - sprinkle in a few Mass-holes & WNYers from Roch & Buffalo also.

Last edited:
Hockey. Getting into Hockey East would be nice, but except for ND they're all in New England. With Connecticut now leaving there is a vacancy in the Atlantic Hockey Association. Syracuse would fit in pretty well.

Air Force (Colorado Springs, CO)
American International (Springfield, MA)
Army (West Point, NY)
Bentley (Waltham, MA)
Canisius (Buffalo, NY)
Holy Cross (Worcester, MA)
Meychurst (Erie, PA)
Niagara (Lewiston, NY)
Robert Morris (Moon Township, PA)
RIT (Henrietta, NY)
Sacred Heart (Fairfield, CT)

Conference tournament is held in Rochester at Blue Cross Arena.

Syracuse could play in War Memorial.

Atlantic Hockey Association would be a nice place to start...but I would hope Hockey East would be in the future 5-7 years down the road.

i like hockey but like to see baseball since every team in acc has baseball even if u have to promote the club team.also bring back wrestling and hire former cuse great mean gene mills who currently coaches wrestling and golf at phoenix ..

I'm conflicted if I have to pick one.

Hockey because of our location and it's a natural fit.

Baseball because of history and the fact nearly or entire conference plays it.

I'd watch both so it's a win either way, but if I have to pick it's baseball.

Ok...hypothetical...with your choice SU adds whatever women's sport to keep Title IX in compliance.

I don't think it is the right time to start more sports right now. Would prefer to focus in improving the ones we have already and banking some of the ACC TV cash towards the new stadium for football and basketball.

That being said...

From the perspective of good geographic fit at Syracuse, hockey makes a lot more sense. There is plenty of talent within a couple of hours drive of Syracuse and there is plenty of interest in the sport locally. Would love to see us build an intimate hockey arena on the South Campus in the Skytop area that would hold around 3K. Use a lot of wood in the design, make it look old school but with all the modern amenities, including stainless steel pee trough technology. Maximize home arena advantage. For big games, could play at the War Memorial or even the new Dome, which should be capable of hosting hockey games.

The biggest reason baseball should be considered is because the ACC is damn good at it. There isn't much in the way of high end talent in our neck of the woods, the weather here is really problematic, as is the early end to the spring semester.

IMHO, if we ever do baseball, we need to design the new Dome to host baseball games, so the bad spring weather is no longer an issue. With the new technology for movable seats, it should not be a problem to design a dome that can have its seats reconfigured to serve as a relatively intimate basketball arena (this has already been done at other facilities and will surely be done with Dome II) and to host baseball games (some seating on the lower level would need to be collapsible, not unlike the old seating at Manley Field House.

I don't think it is the right time to start more sports right now. Would prefer to focus in improving the ones we have already and banking some of the ACC TV cash towards the new stadium for football and basketball.

That being said...

From the perspective of good geographic fit at Syracuse, hockey makes a lot more sense. There is plenty of talent within a couple of hours drive of Syracuse and there is plenty of interest in the sport locally. Would love to see us build an intimate hockey arena on the South Campus in the Skytop area that would hold around 3K. Use a lot of wood in the design, make it look old school but with all the modern amenities, including stainless steel pee trough technology. Maximize home arena advantage. For big games, could play at the War Memorial or even the new Dome, which should be capable of hosting hockey games.

The biggest reason baseball should be considered is because the ACC is damn good at it. There isn't much in the way of high end talent in our neck of the woods, the weather here is really problematic, as is the early end to the spring semester.

IMHO, if we ever do baseball, we need to design the new Dome to host baseball games, so the bad spring weather is no longer an issue. With the new technology for movable seats, it should not be a problem to design a dome that can have its seats reconfigured to serve as a relatively intimate basketball arena (this has already been done at other facilities and will surely be done with Dome II) and to host baseball games (some seating on the lower level would need to be collapsible, not unlike the old seating at Manley Field House.

No offense, tomcat, but what have you been snorting? I think you should share with the rest of us! :rolling:

No offense, tomcat, but what have you been snorting? I think you should share with the rest of us! :rolling:
When do they plan to break ground for the "new dome"?

tough one.

would likely have to go with baseball as its more ACCish.

and could probably play games at whatever the hell they call the new maccarther stadium.

if bc, nd, the b1g, seton hall, st johns, stoney brook etc can do it, so can Syracuse.

imo: we could ramp up faster there, than in hockey.

With all the talk on this board about the facilities race college football has become and how Syracuse is lagging behind, I can't believe anybody would want to use some of those precious resources to fund another sport, when they could (and in my opinion should) be reinvested into the football team.

If anything Syracuse should have fewer sports and make a legit effort to be great at those few sports they play.

Catfish snatching for me its not even close !!

Our analysis showed that revenue generation from hockey, given a plan for incremental growth, could support up to four women's teams. Nebraska-Omaha was a good barometer though SU does have some advantages such as reduced travel costs due to a more central location in an area with numerous teams (there are 10 NCAA D-1 teams in New York).

Penn State's $87 million investment was an over-the-top attempt to immediately field a top-class program with a state of the art arena and facilities, and the best that money can buy. To start a hockey program itself the costs would be ~$3,000,000 in 1999, so ~$4.2 million today. Throw in another, let's say $2 million conservatively for updates to Tennity, and you have a program that can compete at the Niagara level to start and incrementally upgrade to a Hockey East level without breaking the bank to start like Penn State did.

By the way, Tennity can accommodate an NCAA Division-1 hockey program by meeting requirements. That I know for a fact.

I say we add a Div 1 FBS College Football team! ;) Ok ok, I say hockey. Neither the Chiefs (BB) or Crunch (Hockey) have strong attendance but the Crunch do draw a little better.

It isn't happening in the next year but it will happen.

The current Dome is coming down eventually to be used as academic real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk