Poll: Baseball or Hockey? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Baseball or Hockey?

Baseball or Men's Hockey within 5 years, which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The current Dome is coming down eventually to be used as academic real estate.
True...and in the end we are all dead. I am just curious as to when people think that could actually happen.

Hockey, with a home and home with the University of Alaska, Fairbanks!

I legit wouldnt be able to contain my excitment

With all the talk on this board about the facilities race college football has become and how Syracuse is lagging behind, I can't believe anybody would want to use some of those precious resources to fund another sport, when they could (and in my opinion should) be reinvested into the football team.

If anything Syracuse should have fewer sports and make a legit effort to be great at those few sports they play.

Only one sport matters. If you are great in football, the world becomes your oyster...

tough one.

would likely have to go with baseball as its more ACCish.

and could probably play games at whatever the hell they call the new maccarther stadium.

if bc, nd, the b1g, seton hall, st johns, stoney brook etc can do it, so can Syracuse.

imo: we could ramp up faster there, than in hockey.

Not so fast my friend:

Apparently Syracuse is a very popular US school in Southern Ontario. I think most of this has to do with the fact various Upstate NY TV channels can be accessed in Canada OTA or via Cable. If Oswego has no problems building a Div 3 Hockey Power with Canadians and Upstate NY kids, then I believe Cuse could become a power in hockey in short order. I'd rather be great in hockey than most likely mediocre in baseball.

Home of the most epic intro video(s) of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THGqrjUDGI

ahh helll yea, that was nice. Nooks games are a blast, but alot of people here would rather see the Ice Dogs play.. the pro team we have. More fights, and you can drink in your seats.

I'm a UAF season ticket holder, I'm cool with less fights, more hockey, and they have a bar set up that you can run to during period breaks.

UAF-Michigan a few years ago was a blast... I'd love to see SU put a team together and bring em up!

IMHO, if we ever do baseball, we need to design the new Dome to host baseball games, so the bad spring weather is no longer an issue. With the new technology for movable seats, it should not be a problem to design a dome that can have its seats reconfigured to serve as a relatively intimate basketball arena (this has already been done at other facilities and will surely be done with Dome II) and to host baseball games (some seating on the lower level would need to be collapsible, not unlike the old seating at Manley Field House.

I say keep the Dome as is, and put home plate in the southeast corner. Build a team of lefty power hitters and left handed pitching. 200 foot HR down the line. We'll storm the ACC in no time.

Not so fast my friend:

Apparently Syracuse is a very popular US school in Southern Ontario. I think most of this has to do with the fact various Upstate NY TV channels can be accessed in Canada OTA or via Cable. If Oswego has no problems building a Div 3 Hockey Power with Canadians and Upstate NY kids, then I believe Cuse could become a power in hockey in short order. I'd rather be great in hockey than most likely mediocre in baseball.
d3 is all the kids who will never make it.

any canadian worth their salt, is playing juniors.

hey, i love both sports, i just dont see a need for hockey. that ship sadly sailed.

its going to compete against hoop and i dont see the kids running back out for games v this slate:

Air Force (Colorado Springs, CO)
American International (Springfield, MA)
Army (West Point, NY)
Bentley (Waltham, MA)
Canisius (Buffalo, NY)
Holy Cross (Worcester, MA)
Meychurst (Erie, PA)
Niagara (Lewiston, NY)
Robert Morris (Moon Township, PA)
RIT (Henrietta, NY)
Sacred Heart (Fairfield, CT)

with the promise that in 15+ years or so, they MAY BE able to get into Hockey East.

queue DC...whoop de damn do.

baseball will get into the ACC in what? 2 years, 3? talent will come right away. obviously not great ones, but we will be playing a better slate than the hall, the johnnies and stoney, so....

baseball is the smart move.

Until a suitable indoor facility for baseball is identified I don't see any baseball in Syracuse earlier than the last week of March. Cuse can be a power in hockey...baseball not so much. How many fans do you think will sit outdoors in early April watching Cuse play Miami, Clemson or FSU?

Not so fast my friend:

True dat. I have a bunch of family in Ottawa,and all my nephews and cousins are SU fans and love the basketball and football, They buy a ton of SU gear when they come down for games.

I bet there's more elite local talent in baseball than hockey. There are a number of local kids who have made pro baseball after playing at programs like Virgina, St John's, Lemoyne, Niagara, etc. Currently there are local kids at Siena, Wake Forest, St John's, Cortland, Lemoyne, Va Tech etc. Our local teams have been dominant in the 15-18 year old Babe Ruth National championships for a number of years including winning national championships. Local baseball talent has been good but has had to leave the area to play D1 ball. Cortland, St John Fisher, Ithaca, Lemoyne etc all have had excellent teams so D2 and D3 teams have excelled nationally too. There are a number of very good community college teams in NYS (Monroe CC etc) that have fed D1, D2 schools.

The best hockey players who get D1 rides are usually older and head off to prep schools etc mainly in the Midwest. or Canada . Even D3 teams like Clarkson University, Hobart, have very few NYS players on their rosters. The best talent wouldn't be local it would be imported.

I bet there's more elite local talent in baseball than hockey. There are a number of local kids who have made pro baseball after playing at programs like Virgina, St John's, Lemoyne, Niagara, etc. Currently there are local kids at Siena, Wake Forest, St John's, Cortland, Lemoyne, Va Tech etc. Our local teams have been dominant in the 15-18 year old Babe Ruth National championships for a number of years including winning national championships. Local baseball talent has been good but has had to leave the area to play D1 ball. Cortland, St John Fisher, Ithaca, Lemoyne etc all have had excellent teams so D2 and D3 teams have excelled nationally too. There are a number of very good community college teams in NYS (Monroe CC etc) that have fed D1, D2 schools.

The best hockey players who get D1 rides are usually older and head off to prep schools etc mainly in the Midwest. or Canada . Even D3 teams like Clarkson University, Hobart, have very few NYS players on their rosters. The best talent wouldn't be local it would be imported.

Is the best football and basketball talent local?

Is the best football and basketball talent local?

The non -revenue teams like lacrosse - mens and womens, Soccer etc have done well with more local talent. It does make it easier.

The non -revenue teams like lacrosse - mens and womens, Soccer etc have done well with more local talent. It does make it easier.
Agree, but wouldnt mens hockey be a revenue driver, as someone mentioned above?

I doubt hockey would be a big revenue maker. Plus hockey is a much more expensive sport to support. In addition 18 hockey scholarships are the limit for D1 hockey teams vs 11.7 for baseball. Because of the expense there are no longer any more D2 hockey teams and D3 don't offer scholarships. We'd be competing with many non-ACC teams with better and much longer hockey traditions than our own including some local ones like Cornell, Colgate etc,.

If I was a baseball player I'd think twice about playing in the ACC over Big East teams, AAC teams and even Rutgers etc. There are no D1 baseball schools in Central NY and I think we have the opportunity to be more attractive than current teams like St John's, Siena, Canisius, Niagara, Seton Hall, Rutgers etc. Hey I could be all wet but I'd like to think baseball would fit us much better now that we are in the ACC too where we are the only school not to have a baseball program.

Given SU is the only ACC school not playing baseball it's got to be baseball.

Hockey talent in NY is so rich, however, it'll be a shame to miss that opportunity. Just looking at the Big 10, ECAC, and Hockey East you'll currently find kids from CNY at some nice schools: Michigan, Cornell, Harvard, RPI, and Colgate. Look a little farther and there are Rochester kids at Cornell, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Boston University, RPI, St Lawrence, and Yale. Add in kids from Buffalo and Albany and the list expands to even more schools. Still, it'll probably be baseball.

Additionally, there were guys from Ithaca, Rochester, and Buffalo on the 2010 Olympic hockey team. I'm not sure how many NY guys were on the 2012 Olympic baseball team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockey and it's not even a debate. We would pull in way more fans for hockey games and it'd be much easier for us to build up a solid team.

That's just not true. Most elite prep schools are in the north east. Junior teams are in the northeast, midwest, and canada. I was far from elitle, but I had the opportunity to play junior A with upstate guys like Tim Connolly from BVille (4th overall NHL pick), Matt Murley (Troy, went to RPI, 2nd round pick), Drew Bucktooth (Nedrow, elitle lax player, played major juniors in Canada), Matt Maglione (JD, late round caps pick, went on to play at Princeton).

Upstate guys just my generation alone who went on to great hockey careers: Eric Cole (Oswego/Clarkson), NHL mainstay / Brooks Orpik (Amherst, NY/BC) NHL Mainstay / Brian Gionta (Rochester, NY/BC) NHL Mainstay / Robert Esche (Whitesboro/OHL) 8 YR NHL Careeer / Robbie Schremp (Fulton/NHL and Europe). That's just my generation who made it to the NHL. There are at least 25-30 others that played D1 college around that era.

New York is close to Minny, Mass, and Michigan when it comes to producing solid hockey talent. We would be like the equivalent of Ohio in football.