Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History

How Do You Rate The Shafer Hire?

• Total voters

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Tell us how you feel.

Personally I love it..for early January. Would "only like it" for early December as we would have an opportunity to get a hot rising head coach... But put me down for "Love It" since it is January!

I LIKE it, would have loved Hackett.. Just think he has more potential.

Though the fact we were able to keep Hack, makes me like it much much more.

I'm on the love it bandwagon. I think he's a great hire for the players, that the administration acted promptly, and that the promotion is well-deserved. Congratulations to Coach Shafer.

Short of a coup like stealing Golden, or maybe Diaco because of his potential, this was the best move we could've made. Keeping Hackett makes it all the better. I really like it.

I liker Shafer a lot.

But I still think a full, standard search should have been done even if it would have meant losing recruits.

Better to get best guy for the long haul than to save a single class.

Think of it this way- if we were starting scratch would Shafer be the hire?

That's how it should be viewed.

I liker Shafer a lot.

But I still think a full, standard search should have been done even if it would have meant losing recruits.

I'm fine with it because i assume there isn't time top do a full standard search

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I could only say I like it because he has no head coaching experience for me to say "I love it".

But I like the move because I do believe Marrone left the program with forward momentum and this (along with the news that Hackett will stay as OC) keeps the trains on the same track.

Cheers,
Neil

i LIKE it. don't know enough of HCSS as a recuiter so i couldn't go any higher.

Love the continuity established by Marrone and the fact that Hack stays.

Like the move given the recent success. Will not like so much if half the staff bolts or gets released this week. I'd really like to see anselmo, Adkins, hack, wheat and Moore stay on.

Good hire or should it be called a promotion. Hopefully Shafer and Hack have a very good relationship...this may prove to be the optimal move at the time...continuity, players like, and in time to save most recruits (hopefully)...and as importantly, every player now on team and those coming in fully understand the offensive and defensive plans...i would expect minimal changes!

Like it with Shafer, love it with Shafer AND Hackett.

The players love the guy. Love the continuity and retaining Hackett. Works for me!
:)

But Shafer certainly has advantages on other candidates mentioned here. Continuity with staff and players, Syracuse experience / success, existing recruiting ties and relationships. In my opinion, those are some hefty PROS.

Oh, and I like it a lot. Feel very comfortable.

Given time, place, & circumstances, I'm all in.

Why hire another team's coordinator when we can keep the two already here & who have won over most of us? Best move for program, recruits, & present players/staff. Just don't think there was enough time to get someone else's head coach to come here & top choices already off the board. Finally, and most importantly, think HCSS earned it by his body of work here.

Decision made so time to go in full fan support mode which at this point is how we should roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. Hack staying is big. More importantly how about the players?

I liker Shafer a lot.

He's not being hired just to preserve the class.

I liker Shafer a lot.

Would P have been hired? I see what you're saying OPA but things are done within the context of the flow of the knowledge you have and if you really like something, why look? I by no means are dismissing what you said because you have a good point but sometimes you have to hire when you think you have something good already in hand.

I like this move but I'd like to add the more staff that stays the better and depending on who stays and who Shafer gets to replace them will have a big effect on how I'll feel about the hire as a whole. I like Shafer and people may see a side of him that they haven't before...in a good way.

*Edit at 7:52 1/8/13: Shafers D played hard even when down and out...that shows me something.

Tell us how you feel.

Personally I love it..for early January. Would like it for early December. But put me down for Love It!

We have a great D, and he is the architect.
Great pedigree. Love that he's worked with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, and learned from tasting failure at Michigan.
I like that he is defensive minded.
I love that the job is done. A 5 year rebuild is not an option.

Dislike
The unknown. We will know more by October.

Put me down for lukewarm. I wanted a little more of a process. IF a full search was done (which I am skeptical of) and coaches like Golden and Mullen were contacted (you never know-see Tuberville at Cincy) and it was determined that Shafer was the best guy, it is fine with me. If we just hired Shafer because he is solid and the popular choice among players and recruits, not so much.

Pros: Stability
Good defensive mind
Experience w/ Marrone and Harbaugh

Cons: 1st time head Coach
Not much of a recruiting reputation and doesn't bring cache w/ recruits
Everything being even, wanted a top Offensive Mind-Feel those are tougher to find and replace if Hackett leaves (though somewhat sublimated if Hackett stays)

Good topic for the inaugural post of a long-time lurker, I think. Any other time of the year, I'm in the "like" category; but given the timing in early January with signing day looming on the horizon, I love this hire. I'm a bit more comfortable with HCSS as opposed to Hackett due to the latter's lack of experience, and I'm pleased that both have been retained. A splash hire at this time would have been quite a gamble, and put TGD in an easy position to make a poor decision. I'm a big fan of the continuity this brings- and I'm not talking about just holding the recruiting class together- but also in system and schemes.

The players also seem to love Shafer, and if Malik Brown's twitter comments are any indication, so do the new recruits. Overall, I think this was the best possible move at this point in time for continuing the momentum the program has gained this season. The school acted quickly and now HCSS can perform some damage control (I think the dead period is over?) and get the house back in order. I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes he may or may not bring to the program, and especially interested in seeing what happens on the offensive side of the ball; how much of the new philosophy was Hackett, and how much was Marrone? We may know soon. Going to be tough getting work done today as I constantly refresh this site to see what's going on.

One last note, I understand the hurt feelings about Marrone leaving, but I really don't understand some of the pure poison some on this board have for the guy. It may have been his dream to coach at Syracuse, but coaching in the NFL is pretty much the maximum height of his profession. OR maybe he's just a liar; who knows. Either way, I can't fault the guy for this move. It would have been nice if he'd handled it a little bit better, but he's no Edsall or Kiffin. Hopefully this week he reaches out to the players in his football family and makes things right.

I hope he has a binder...

Not trying to be funny. There is no doubt that the Shafer is intense, well liked by the players, and a highly regarded coordinator. The inherent risk is how well he handles the responsibilities of managing the entire program, coordinating practices and player development, developing game plans, implementing his vision for the program, managing game day, and being an embassador for the program.

That is an entirely different skill set then he has ever been responsible for before. Marrone was a master of organization and hit the ground running with a plan in hand. But even then, he certainly had a learning curve. We don't know yet how well Shafer will handle and adapt to the many challenges of being a HC.

Let's hope Shafer does have a "HC Binder" and that Gross assessed that plan. Time will tell. Shafer deserves the benefit of the doubt and I support the hire.

But, to "love" this hire, when the hire has no HC experience nor have we heard him articulate his plan, is based too much on hope at this point, IMO.

We have a great D, and he is the architect.
Great pedigree. Love that he's worked with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, and learned from tasting failure at Michigan.
I like that he is defensive minded.
I love that the job is done. A 5 year rebuild is not an option.

Dislike
The unknown. We will know more by October.

Good List, I agree swish, I definitely like the hire, also like the Michigan experience that he had, I think that sticks with him as to what working at a factory school can do to you... If Shafer is succesful which I believe he will be , I can see him here for an extended period of time. I know he and his family really like the area as well.

In addition, I think having met Shafer on purely a social level, I believe that his personality is well suited for the college game, he isn't an NFL guy. Great coach, great person, smart man, hard worker and I think he will be able to recruit better than Doug..