[POLL] Should our next coach be an internal hire or an external hire? | Syracusefan.com

[POLL] Should our next coach be an internal hire or an external hire?

Should our next coach be an internal hire or an external hire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Simple poll.

I clearly voted external for the many reasons I've said in other threads.

I'm okay with an internal hire if, whoever it is, hires a proven recruiter to take their assistant position.

The outside hires that have been proposed on this board since Hop left were either pipe dreams or mid major coaches that had just as much risk as Autry/other assistant.

The outside hires that have been proposed on this board since Hop left were either pipe dreams or mid major coaches that had just as much risk as Autry/other assistant.
That is what we like to call an opinion. Unless you have talked to every coach in America, you have no idea who would and would not be interested because for close to the last 50 years Syracuse has had a head coach.

This isn’t like Syracuse has been open 3 times in the past 10 years and our candidates keep dwindling. This is a top 10 job in all of America. With one of the biggest fan bases. We are a selector school. That does not mean that every coach would drop what they are doing to come here. But coaches would be silly not to be interested and gather more information. To say with 100% certainty that every coach is a pipe dream is unrealistic.

Assuming JB steps aside, an internal hire (including Hop) is what's best for the program in the immediate future.

Assuming JB steps aside, an internal hire (including Hop) is what's best for the program in the immediate future.
Why? Can you give some reasons? Because I have trouble seeing any positives keeping any semblance of what this program currently is.

Why?

We need a new scheme.
We are losing many of our current best players either way.
We don't have an elite recruiting class to hold on to.
Our national reputation is down.
Our attendance is down.

What are we holding on to here?

when has that ever stopped anyone around here!!
This is the same excuse Boeheim totes out when he says fans who don't go to CLOSED practices shouldnt have opinions on who plays.

All we have is the info we are given. If they choose to keep things close to the vest, which they have a right to, then we can only operate on the info we have.

Why?

We need a new scheme.
We are losing many of our current best players either way.
We don't have an elite recruiting class to hold on to.
Our national reputation is down.
Our attendance is down.

What are we holding on to here?

The people with money who have been with JB for 50 years and are necessary to bring in the talent needed to win. They will support who Boeheim wants to succeed him. If that person flops after a few years, we'll move on. You cannot bring in players without the requisite financial backing. (If those people have "bailed," then you can go external, but not until then)

Duke and UNC could have picked any coach in the Country to succeed K and Williams. There's a reason why they ended up with who they ended up with.

Last edited:
That is what we like to call an opinion. Unless you have talked to every coach in America, you have no idea who would and would not be interested because for close to the last 50 years Syracuse has had a head coach.

This isn’t like Syracuse has been open 3 times in the past 10 years and our candidates keep dwindling. This is a top 10 job in all of America. With one of the biggest fan bases. We are a selector school. That does not mean that every coach would drop what they are doing to come here. But coaches would be silly not to be interested and gather more information. To say with 100% certainty that every coach is a pipe dream is unrealistic.
How do you know who we talked to?

And yes Wright, Donovan, Oats, Pitino, Miller, and Beard were always pipe dreams for either past behavioral issues, where they are now, or the fact that they were done coaching.

Last edited:
100% agree.

Id be happier with external but its going to be internal.

There’s a number of reasons to be optimistic if it’s Red though.

The programs got more financial backing, even aside from Weitsman, than its had in some time. Maybe ever.

Youth injected into the bench staff will show an immediate difference. The two three is sizzling on the hot seat as well.

There’s reasons to be optimistic.

Both external and internal hires comes with risks. Neither are promised to work out. The current state of the program I think we need an external hire and not an up and comer but someone with program building experience to pull us back to the level we were.

How about someone who is both. External now, was an SU guy before and no...I'm not talking about Hopkins. Jason Hart - coached college, now in the NBA developmental league. Heard he's doing a pretty good job. Just throwing another name out there.

How about someone who is both. External now, was an SU guy before and no...I'm not talking about Hopkins. Jason Hart - coached college, now in the NBA developmental league. Heard he's doing a pretty good job. Just throwing another name out there.
He has been discussed a lot. He wouldn't move to Syracuse

He has been discussed a lot. He wouldn't move to Syracuse
That is pure speculation. There is zero evidence that Hart wouldn’t move to Syracuse. I personally don’t think he’d turn down the kind of money and high profile of a P5 head coaching gig that was elite in the recent past.

That is pure speculation. There is zero evidence that Hart wouldn’t move to Syracuse. I personally don’t think he’d turn down the kind of money and high profile of a P5 head coaching gig that was elite in the recent past.
Judging based on what I’ve read. I believe he would take the job. He was looking for a head job while at USC but couldn’t find the right opportunity. That’s how he came about the NBA G League job. He never once said he wouldn’t go to a certain place. If Syracuse called and offered him the job he would be on the next plane to New York.

If I'm being real honest, at this point, I just want the SU admin and JB to be on the same page at this point. Internal, external, from Mars, under the sea, Nick Nolte in character as Pete Bell...

Literally, I just want everyone on the same page as of right now.

Just someone assure me of that.

Stopping the count at 44... only logical reason to ever do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom