Poor projections in this mock draft for our two early entrants | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Poor projections in this mock draft for our two early entrants

Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Damian Lillard, Steph Curry, Goran Dragic, Tony Parker for 48 minutes every single game of the season

Seems plausible.

A lottery pick for a career backup strikes me as spoor investment.
not if its a position of need, especially if you are picking in the back half of the lottery after the very best talents are all gone.

Yeah...but he still has to play the other end of the court. What NBA guards,is Tyler Ennis defending?
steve blake, kendall marshall, pablo prigoni - you know, fellow second unit PGs

not if its a position of need, especially if you are picking in the back half of the lottery after the very best talents are all gone.

steve blake, kendall marshall, pablo prigoni - you know, fellow second unit PGs

Fair enough, but I'm not sure backup point guard is a position of need if you're a lottery team.

Eta...Kendall Marshall was a lottery pick, so I suppose,it's possible

Fair enough, but I'm not sure backup point guard is a position of need if you're a lottery team.
again, depends on team needs. Chad Ford has him going to Denver in his latest mock. Certainly a need there (current backups Nate Robinson & Aaron Brooks are UFAs), and he would be a nice change-of-pace guy behind Ty Lawson.

Exactly. Ennis is a good college PG who doesn't turn the ball over. I have yet to hear anyone on this board or scout give me one NBA level skill that Tyler has right now. I'm not hating on him. I just don't see the NBA player others do. My fear is in 3 years Tyler will have what's left of the $1.5 M he pocketed over 3 years and be out of the league playing in Europe. His memories of those 3 years will be of being frustrated over lack of playing time. Instead he could have stayed in school, be coming off a great 4 year run of national accolades in being one of the best PG's in college for 4 years and be looking forward to proving himself in the NBA. At a minimum he would be looking at about the same money that he will make this year. Maybe he'd end up in Europe anyway but that would be better at 25 than at 22. Lost opportunities too often turn into regrets.

Also, I can't believe any NBA team would pick Ennis over either Shabazz Napier or Russ Smith. They are both quicker, more athletic and better shooters. I just don't see it. And as far as supporting players reaching their dreams?? Someone should be blunt and ask them if their dream was to play in the NBA or to be on an NBA team? There is a big difference.

We will know a lot about Ennis's future after the 2014 pre-draft Combine.

Give me a break--and aim your BS attributions some other way. I posted a link to an article I came across--I didn't realize that the board thought police required me to go out and link to every mock draft that projects things differently as a pre-requisite to posting a new one.

Nobody will be happier than me if these guys get drafted high. I just think that some of the pollyanna crowd ought to recognize that nothing is a sure thing when it comes to the draft--or mock drafts--this early in the process. That doesn't have anything to do with a "bitter agenda of trying to prove ennis made a bad decision." All I did was post a link to an article, for christ sake.

Awfully defensive for someone who just happened to a post a link to a mock draft that has ennis slotted a minimum of 10 spots lower than any other respectable site.

CusefanATL said:
Poor is in the eye of the beholder... Jerami Grant and 17 is pretty good. he is mainly thought of as 20-25ish. Ennis, while slipping - gets to play with Lebron? Ennis could start over Chalmers too. That could be a Rajon Rondo esque slip in the draft but go to a team that makes you an overnight superstar. Rondo may have lost out on a few million to start his career - but he's done just fine.

I don't think Ennis would start over Chalmers.

What is poor about 17 for Grant? I also highly doubt Ennis slips that far. He'll be top 20 and won't slip past Toronto.
I basically agree.
Ennis a little low in their projections...Grant a little high.

Hope they enjoy the money and take care of it.
Both could have benefitted greatly from at least another year.

People seem to underestimate how important back up point guards can be. He might be drafted in the lottery- doesn't mean people in the know are expecting 20 and 10 from the guy. Some people associate lottery picks with dominance and it just isn't like that.

Look how important Darren Collison was to this year's LAC team. He even played out there with Paul very often.

People seem to underestimate how important back up point guards can be. He might be drafted in the lottery- doesn't mean people in the know are expecting 20 and 10 from the guy. Some people associate lottery picks with dominance and it just isn't like that.

Look how important Darren Collison was to this year's LAC team. He even played out there with Paul very often.

Even DJ Augustin has been playing great ball now.

A relevant point from the SVP show today was made by Russillo, who said something like - saying someone can't guard Westbrook is ridiculous. Since no one in the NBA can guard him, why should we expect some guy from the ACC to be able to do it.

A relevant point from the SVP show today was made by Russillo, who said something like - saying someone can't guard Westbrook is ridiculous. Since no one in the NBA can guard him, why should we expect some guy from the ACC to be able to do it.
That's exactly how I look at it.

I'd draft Grant over Ennis. Ennis is clearly ready to contribute more right away but I really don't see Ennis improving a ton over the course of his career. He is what he is, an average sized with below average speed, below average athleticism, below average shooting, non transition offense oriented point guard who rarely turns the ball over. I'm sorry, I just don't get the love affair by scouts over him.

I wouldn't Grant doesn't have a position.

Interesting that you used Darren Collison as an example. I think most would think being taken with the 21st pick would be very disappointing for ennis.

Interesting that you used Darren Collison as an example. I think most would think being taken with the 21st pick would be very disappointing for ennis.
This means nothing, but I thought Collison would be a good NBA player and was surprised he wasn't drafted higher.

Poor is in the eye of the beholder...

Jerami Grant and 17 is pretty good. he is mainly thought of as 20-25ish.

Ennis, while slipping - gets to play with Lebron? Ennis could start over Chalmers too.

That could be a Rajon Rondo esque slip in the draft but go to a team that makes you an overnight superstar. Rondo may have lost out on a few million to start his career - but he's done just fine.

No way Ennis starts over Chalmers or Cole. Both good defenders -- Cole's excellent -- and both are better shooters.

This is exactly why the assertation "the NBA sucks because there's no defense" is garbage. The offense is THAT good.

Even DJ Augustin has been playing great ball now.

That was my other example but then I removed it because he I considered him the starting guard all year, even though Rose played a few.

Huh? Collison could have gone 40th and it would not have changed anything I said.

That seems pretty high for Grant considering his lack of position and offensive skills.

Briancuse said:
I wouldn't Grant doesn't have a position.

He is a freak athlete and if he develops a jumper he will be a 3, if he doesn't develop a jumper and hits the weight room hard and puts on lbs he's a 4 with athleticism that only a few at that position could match.

Grants upside is far higher than Ennis's is.

He is a freak athlete and if he develops a jumper he will be a 3, if he doesn't develop a jumper and hits the weight room hard and puts on lbs he's a 4 with athleticism that only a few at that position could match.

Grants upside is far higher than Ennis's is.

The thing is there have been a lot of really good athletes out there who didn't pan out.

The thing is there have been a lot of really good athletes out there who didn't pan out.

There have also been a lot of really good college ball players who didn't pan out in the NBA.

There have also been a lot of really good college ball players who didn't pan out in the NBA.

Agreed, but if you held a gun to my head and I had to choice one, I would take Ennis.

Awfully defensive for someone who just happened to a post a link to a mock draft that has ennis slotted a minimum of 10 spots lower than any other respectable site.

Awfully defensive because your post took a passive aggressive potshot at me over a point I wasn't making. Not because I'm "guilty" of secretly hoping that Ennis fails or isn't drafted highly.

And what "other respectable site" are you referring to? Bleacher Report? nbadraft.net? Yeah--those are great sources of accurate information--especially two months before the draft, before the lottery order has even been established.
:bat:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom