Positive ESPN coverage | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Positive ESPN coverage

Cowherd took his annual shot at our program on his show today; paraphrasing on how LSU is not good, "they had a hard time with SYRACUSE!"
Ugh
Screw Cowherd. I like how Doug Gottlieb (yes, I'm praising Gottlieb) tweeted calling him out for a ridiculous comment Cowherd made about how Al Michaels has no history calling hockey games.

Yeah, Colin. Other than the most famous hockey game of all-time, and the most famous single line in sports broadcasting history.

If we win these next 2 games, especially since they are both away we will start to get some more national exposure, where analysts and football fans will be wondering and curious who is on our team and will be interested in watching us. I think this will bring a major attendance boost for the Pitt game where I would expect 40k+. If we then go 6-1, we'll be ranked or close to it and the FSU game will be prime time and that could be as big of a game as this program has had in years. If we go down to Tallahasee at 6-1 and beat them we will get Major national exposure and will definitely be ranked and who knows, maybe Dungey for Heisman talk or Shafer for Coach of the Year at that point nothing is out of the question because so little was expected from us and there would be so much to gain. I would expect that Clemson game to then be sold out. This team has so much potential and everything I just said is completely realistic in my opinion, this program has come a longgggg way. GO ORANGE!!!

Good grief guys. I fear this fanbase is setting itself up bigtime. When beating a couple patsies and losing to LSU starts convincing you that your freshman QB with barely 3 games of career action could be a Heisman candidate, things have gone a little sideways. It is good to have excitement around the program but there is a near Rutgerian level of delusion coming into some of the stuff posted recently.

Good grief guys. I fear this fanbase is setting itself up bigtime. When beating a couple patsies and losing to LSU starts convincing you that your freshman QB with barely 3 games of career action could be a Heisman candidate, things have gone a little sideways. It is good to have excitement around the program but there is a near Rutgerian level of delusion coming into some of the stuff posted recently.

God forbid.

I hate when people get excited about the direction of the program, too.

Maybe we can lose some more games so you can be happy again.

Cmon man. He's like the last hold out.

It's a joke

No, it's not a joke. Forde and Gottlieb are media folks who you can get me to agree take an anti-SU slant whenever possible. To act like SU alums at ESPN are actively and overly negative towards the program is simply wrong.

If we win these next 2 games, especially since they are both away we will start to get some more national exposure, where analysts and football fans will be wondering and curious who is on our team and will be interested in watching us. I think this will bring a major attendance boost for the Pitt game where I would expect 40k+. If we then go 6-1, we'll be ranked or close to it and the FSU game will be prime time and that could be as big of a game as this program has had in years. If we go down to Tallahasee at 6-1 and beat them we will get Major national exposure and will definitely be ranked and who knows, maybe Dungey for Heisman talk or Shafer for Coach of the Year at that point nothing is out of the question because so little was expected from us and there would be so much to gain. I would expect that Clemson game to then be sold out. This team has so much potential and everything I just said is completely realistic in my opinion, this program has come a longgggg way. GO ORANGE!!!

I like the way you think.

Full_Rebar said:
No, it's not a joke. Forde and Gottlieb are media folks who you can get me to agree take an anti-SU slant whenever possible. To act like SU alums at ESPN are actively and overly negative towards the program is simply wrong.

I think:

A) they are among the most professional guys there and do a good job of not showing bias

B) if they are fans, they are probably similar to the other fans of the program in that they get fed up and don't like prolonged losing. It might be worse at the sports capital of the world too. Bunch of competitive people with tvs everywhere

C) it was a joke - he was painting with a broad brush for effect. Lighten up

th

I don't get some peoples negativity. We are 3-1 and have no reason not to be optimistic. As of right now we are looking the best we have since the ending of the 2012 season. We just hung with a top 10 team with our 3rd string walk-on QB and arguably our top playmakers were out. We play against 2 under performing teams on the road the next 2 weeks, if we were to play 2 teams on the road these are the teams I would want to play right now. So if you're a pessimist and try to find every fault, find the fault that we are over performing or that the analysts aren't good analysts because we were suppose to be nothing this year. 8-9 wins is not out of reach, and I'll stand by this statement until the end of the season.

I don't understand the negativity - we're in a great position right now and the last I checked the game was still zero to zero. So why not have optimism? It's been a 1ooo years since any of us felt the opportunity to feel positive about where the program is going. I suppose the negative nancys have to have something to stew about.

Last edited:
Such a funny dynamic here at the moment. Football team is doing well. I'm happy too.

I don't understand the negativity - we're in a great position right now and the last I checked the game was still zero to zero. So why not have optimism? It's been a 1ooo years since any of us felt the opportunity to feel positive about where the program is going. I suppose the negative nancys have to have something to stew about.
I dont think it's overly negative to have a wait and see approach with a true frosh QB, coming off a concussion, playing in his first road game, with weather folk calling for a 50/50 chance of afternoon thunderstorms. We did what we needed to do in the Dome, now it's time to play over 1200 miles from home. If we play smart football limiting penalties and turnovers then I definitely think we will walk away with a win. I'm just not ready to start talking about being 6-1 going in against FSU. Pitt's D is real and we don't have the best track record against them the past 10 years or so.

I dont think it's overly negative to have a wait and see approach with a true frosh QB, coming off a concussion, playing in his first road game, with weather folk calling for a 50/50 chance of afternoon thunderstorms. We did what we needed to do in the Dome, now it's time to play over 1200 miles from home. If we play smart football limiting penalties and turnovers then I definitely think we will walk away with a win. I'm just not ready to start talking about being 6-1 going in against FSU. Pitt's D is real and we don't have the best track record against them the past 10 years or so.

Fair enough. I may be setting myself up for a heaping dish of disappointment come Saturday. I sure hope not

I've been holding off posting very much lately and partially because my feelings are a summary of everything posted in this thread. I'm very excited for saturdays this year but I am every year, especially at the start of the season. I've also gotten my hopes up and have been disappointed for years now. Even the years we went to a bowl there were definitely periods in there where we thought we were better than we actually were and then were brought back to reality. I think we have a lot of question marks but again, what team doesn't to some degree.

I'm more optimistic about our future than I was last year but the reality is, we haven't seen enough solid games against solid opponents yet with this staff to really know where we are. But I want this staff to do well, I say this every year since DM regardless of our record - I love the types of players on the team and who we recruit, and I think we might be legitimately returning to at least having a solid program again.

So what am I trying to say... I'm not sure. I don't want any of this to come off as negative because I know we have some really sensitive people on this board. I'm very optimistic but I think our next two games will really tell us a lot. I want to win them both, we definitely have the players to do it, now we'll find out if the staff is up to the task.

qdawgg said:
I've been holding off posting very much lately and partially because my feelings are a summary of everything posted in this thread. I'm very excited for saturdays this year but I am every year, especially at the start of the season. I've also gotten my hopes up and have been disappointed for years now. Even the years we went to a bowl there were definitely periods in there where we thought we were better than we actually were and then were brought back to reality. I think we have a lot of question marks but again, what team doesn't to some degree. I'm more optimistic about our future than I was last year but the reality is, we haven't seen enough solid games against solid opponents yet with this staff to really know where we are. But I want this staff to do well, I say this every year since DM regardless of our record - I love the types of players on the team and who we recruit, and I think we might be legitimately returning to at least having a solid program again. So what am I trying to say... I'm not sure. I don't want any of this to come off as negative because I know we have some really sensitive people on this board. I'm very optimistic but I think our next two games will really tell us a lot. I want to win them both, we definitely have the players to do it, now we'll find out if the staff is up to the task.

Fair take. I'm in the same boat believe it or not.

I'm optimistic about how we look on offense and excited about the young weapons (Dungey, Erv, Strickland, Ishmeal, Jordon F) - but until they do it for a full game or against an ACC team that's not Wake - we can't get to ahead of ourselves.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

It is good to have excitement around the program but there is a near "Rutgerian level of delusion " coming into some of the stuff posted recently.

That should be some part of a really bad video game. The Rutgerian confusion level.

Fair take. I'm in the same boat believe it or not.

I'm optimistic about how we look on offense and excited about the young weapons (Dungey, Erv, Strickland, Ishmeal, Jordon F) - but until they do it for a full game or against an ACC team that's not Wake - we can't get to ahead of ourselves.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

And I haven't posted mainly because I didn't want it to come off as negative when that's not the intent at all. I'm cautiously optimistic too. I feel like the pieces are there to start gathering some real steam the next 2 - 3 years. I think we can end up with a pretty good record this year too. I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself because history has smacked me back into reality at times. Different players, different offense, etc - I get that and that's why I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've been holding off posting very much lately and partially because my feelings are a summary of everything posted in this thread. I'm very excited for saturdays this year but I am every year, especially at the start of the season. I've also gotten my hopes up and have been disappointed for years now. Even the years we went to a bowl there were definitely periods in there where we thought we were better than we actually were and then were brought back to reality. I think we have a lot of question marks but again, what team doesn't to some degree.

I'm more optimistic about our future than I was last year but the reality is, we haven't seen enough solid games against solid opponents yet with this staff to really know where we are. But I want this staff to do well, I say this every year since DM regardless of our record - I love the types of players on the team and who we recruit, and I think we might be legitimately returning to at least having a solid program again.

So what am I trying to say... I'm not sure. I don't want any of this to come off as negative because I know we have some really sensitive people on this board. I'm very optimistic but I think our next two games will really tell us a lot. I want to win them both, we definitely have the players to do it, now we'll find out if the staff is up to the task.
Nodding my head...Yes, Yes, Yes...

And I haven't posted mainly because I didn't want it to come off as negative when that's not the intent at all. I'm cautiously optimistic too. I feel like the pieces are there to start gathering some real steam the next 2 - 3 years. I think we can end up with a pretty good record this year too. I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself because history has smacked me back into reality at times. Different players, different offense, etc - I get that and that's why I'm cautiously optimistic.

Good posts; I'm in the same boat.

I'm also the same idiot who was sitting in El Saha after the West Virginia game in 2011 making plans to get Orange Bowl tickets. So I'm going to refrain from making any 6-1 posts.

I know we can play well on Saturday. I hope we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom