2nd String
Tackled well
Prince looked fast on that TD
Broyld caught the ball well
Kicking game / special teams
Attendance

Anything else?

Not sure I agree with 'tackled well'.
And I'm not just talking about Robertson escaping over and over again.
It seemed to me that tackling was pretty sketchy.

Disagree. Containment and tackling are two different things. One is positioning, scheme and angles of pursuit and one is about wrapping up when you make contact. There were not many plays that Villanova extended because of a broken tackle or the fact that we didn't wrap, which is an improvement over that past few years.

orangeinohio said:
Not sure I agree with 'tackled well'. And I'm not just talking about Robertson escaping over and over again. It seemed to me that tackling was pretty sketchy.

We tackled adequately. Everything else was accurate. One thing: There was a lot of hype about Custis...how many targets did he have: 1 or 2?

I don't understand how/why you treat tackling and containment as if they really separate, unrelated features of D.

Either way, I don't think tackling or containment were great.
I remember Welsh tackling somebody in the 4Q and thinking to myself 'hey someone on the Syracuse D is finally wrapping somebody up'!

I don't understand how/why you treat tackling and containment as if they really separate, unrelated features of D.

Either way, I don't think tackling or containment were great.
I remember Welsh tackling somebody in the 4Q and thinking to myself 'hey someone on the Syracuse D is finally wrapping somebody up'!
Absolutely agree... A lot of D-Line tackles were made or not made on a frozen pond...

Tackled well
Attendance

Anything else?
Thank you for posting something positive. The sky hasn't fallen yet.

Tackled well
Attendance

Anything else?

Tackling was atrocious
Broyld also dropped one that hit him right in the hands
Special teams gave up a punt return

The only positive I got out of last night was that we won, and the attendance was respectable.

FG kicking looked good.

Ron Thompson got a lot of pressure.

I like the look of Ishmael.

Broyld looked like he was comfortable (at least until Hunt went out).

Austin Wilson, while not a Heisman candidate, looks to be a capable backup.

I'm watching the replay and he's really impressing me more than he did live. I guess I was so shocked with how poorly we played as a team the whole game I didn't notice that a sophomore came in the game and didn't look like a 2nd string QB with no experience.

GoSU96 said:
Wilson's flow.

Biggest positive is that we're 1-0. That was the minimum goal.

We've got two weeks to get our act together and we need it. We didn't look as prepared as the lesser talented team did. That's not acceptable for a staff in their second year.

That said, one of the biggest problems in a game like that is that panic sets in. Everyone is thinking oh my god we can't lose this game and it leads to losing focus. Both staff and players.

Football Gods did us a big favor last night, we need to take advantage.

You see zero positives other than the win, that's fine. I'm sure plenty of fans feel that way.

I was looking for positives.

So while Broyld dropped one pass, he caught a bunch with his hands and looked like a weapon when TH was in.

As far as special teams, I was impressed with our kicking game... Something that is /was a big question mark. Pulled off a fake field goal to win the game. The TD return was unfortunate and a clear breakdown in containment, but I was thinking of all the good things we did.

anomander said:
Tackling was atrocious Broyld also dropped one that hit him right in the hands Special teams gave up a punt return The only positive I got out of last night was that we won, and the attendance was respectable.

Watching replay. Our tackling did get worse as the game went on... Late in the fourth, vill has broken some tackles.

At least we didn't lose to an FCS team that hasn't won against an FBS team since 2009.

Positives:

We won
Loved Ron Thompson
Crowd was solid and into it
Norton and Dixon kicked well and Dixon passed well
We have two weeks to fix the myriad of issues

The game reminded me of 2011 Cuse. Flat, low energy, lack of on field leadership, winning when clearly deserving to lose. We will fix what went wrong I do believe

Game reminded me of Tulane in Super dome. I think Tulane was worse than Nova too.

Erv had a couple nice returns.

CousCuse said:
How can you people have watched the game and not say Erv Phillips. He looked like bigtime playmaker , the likes of which we haven't seen here in a long time.

Wilson coming in cold and managing the game.

Broyld making plays.

The kicking game.

Erv

The crowd

The win

Lots of work to do for an undefeated team. ;-)

The Hunt throw to Broyld on the wheel route was perfect (and encouraging). Loved the PTG speed. I think using 2 RBs would be plenty. I thought Hodge looked pretty fast, he'll get better. Excited to see more of Erv. Norton looked good.