Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s

Joe usually can get players up on their toes or up in the air with a little shot fake step right or left back and knock it down. today he couldn't find any of those, but imo we lost because we took the air out of the ball with 12 minutes left for the first time all game.

Some players made a jump. We are 5 games in. defense was better. Very active. Joe was out there cause they were in his stuff all game and that opens the floor more than Sy does. St. John’s has a good chance to win Big East. Good team. This was not Georgetown games as someone said. We are better!
We are 3-2 against sh!tt competition. Hard to rejoice.

Similar frustrations, but excited to see some developments.

- Bell can be a contributor.
- Benny played efficient. I'll take 11/10 each night.
- Hima with SEVEN blocks in backup minutes. Wow.
- Mintz is showing he has star potential.

I don't think that call at the end is really coaching. Mintz got tripped up on the inbounds and wasn't enough time to get the ball back in his hands.

Surprised Brown and Taylor didn't play at all. With this pace of game, figured you'd want to keep folks fresh. Brown in particular has played well in limited minutes.

Anyway, tough loss

Is it conditioning? Coaching? Lack of killer instinct? All the above? Idc but it needs fixed. This is inexcusable, we’re a premier program & haven’t carried ourselves as one recently

Make shots, watch rebounds.
Jimmy certainly wasn’t a great rebounder, but he was nowhere near as bad as Bell has been so far. And Jimmy could at least create a shot and was sort of crafty driving to the basket.

Bell is basically catch and shoot, with no off the dribble game (so far, at least).

I see almost no similarities whatsoever between the two of them.

What’s scary is we have three games coming up that could all be losses. This team won’t go to ND and Illinois and win. If we don’t play better than tonight, Bryant will beat us on Saturday.

In fairness, he’s the only other outside shooter we have aside for JG. So I get the desire to have him on the floor. But SU can’t endure a 3 who literally doesn’t rebound.
I have to disagree that Joe is our only outside shooter. Let's give Turner a chance to show us what he can do. At this point I would take him over Bell at anytime

I foresee mintz or copeland running every play by acc play. mintz should almost never go in motion ever again all year unless were up by 20. Copeland will slow it up sometimes, but he passes over the D and on target as good as mcw (its rediculous not using it). This was without Brown even.

We still don’t have a point guard to run the team. We have a good player who can drive and create for himself.

Similar frustrations, but excited to see some developments.

- Bell can be a contributor.
- Benny played efficient. I'll take 11/10 each night.
- Hima with SEVEN blocks in backup minutes. Wow.
- Mintz is showing he has star potential.

I don't think that call at the end is really coaching. Mintz got tripped up on the inbounds and wasn't enough time to get the ball back in his hands.

Surprised Brown and Taylor didn't play at all. With this pace of game, figured you'd want to keep folks fresh. Brown in particular has played well in limited minutes.

Anyway, tough loss
Benny played so well in the first half (probably his best half at SU), that it didn’t surprise me that JB stuck with him (at Maliq’s expense, unfortunately). If Benny had come out of the gates with less energy, I think we would have seen Maliq tonight.

And I had a feeling that this would be a game for Quadir over Taylor, so Taylor’s DNP wasn’t that surprising. In hindsight, giving Quadir a couple of minutes in the 2nd half probably would have been a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom