Postgame Thoughts… Virginia | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Virginia

Are we just going to pretend Duke and UNC are not elite academic institutions who are able to keep their top players eligible? Schools find ways to do it because they are revenue generating assets.
Well, among other things, Duke players often take classes across town at North Carolina Central University which are presumably not quite as demanding. They pick up enough credits to keep themselves eligible. Then, of course, their OADs don't worry about classes or eligibility after the first semester. I have no idea if UNC has done anything shady since their African/Afro-American Studies debacle years ago. Coach Bennett has to consider the long term. His whole program is built on player development. (Almost all "bigs" redshirt. The last significant one who did not was Mike Tobey in 2012-13.) Most of Virginia's recruits are arriving with solid academic credentials.

Well, among other things, Duke players often take classes across town at North Carolina Central University which are presumably not quite as demanding. They pick up enough credits to keep themselves eligible. Then, of course, their OADs don't worry about classes or eligibility after the first semester. I have no idea if UNC has done anything shady since their African/Afro-American Studies debacle years ago. Coach Bennett has to consider the long term. His whole program is built on player development. (Almost all "bigs" redshirt. The last significant one who did not was Mike Tobey in 2012-13.) Most of Virginia's recruits are arriving with solid academic credentials.
But the point is, an elite academic school is willing to bend the rules if it benefits the program. If DJ Wagner wanted to go to UVA and Bennett had to find a way to get him to stay qualified, he’d do it.

I know that is how it is usually done. I thought that Bennet did it differently today so as to prevent a pass to our forwards.
The 2 guard is "usually" too far away to even think about using him for the double when you draw up the game plan.

..."It sounds like he’s been “losers lamtent-ing” more lately because the team has LOST more lol jfc
Exactly!
Hence the reason I find it harder to listen to him for more than 60 seconds!
Took a while...but I believe you got it.

I rest my case. :cool:

Exactly!
Hence the reason I find it harder to listen to him for more than 60 seconds!
Took a while...but I believe you got it.

I rest my case. :cool:
I’m just not sure what you expect? Maybe that’s what I’m struggling with

But the point is, an elite academic school is willing to bend the rules if it benefits the program. If DJ Wagner wanted to go to UVA and Bennett had to find a way to get him to stay qualified, he’d do it.
That's a very unlikely "if". It isn't remotely probable that D J Wagner has the slightest interest in Virginia. For the most part, players who are less than marginal qualifiers, aren't really interested in Virginia. Coach Bennett hasn't been selling the idea that "we can keep you eligible". He's been selling the notion that if you come to UVa, you're going to have to work. I think it's reflected in the recruiting to date. Players like Malcolm Brogdon and Devon Hall even finished their eligibility with master's degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, but there hasn't been a hint of it at Virginia.

If Wagner is a stereotypical 5-star it's doubtful he can/is willing to play defense to Bennett's satisfaction. He's also probably unwilling to play at the pace we do.

That's a very unlikely "if". It isn't remotely probable that D J Wagner has the slightest interest in Virginia. For the most part, players who are less than marginal qualifiers, aren't really interested in Virginia. Coach Bennett hasn't been selling the idea that "we can keep you eligible". He's been selling the notion that if you come to UVa, you're going to have to work. I think it's reflected in the recruiting to date. Players like Malcolm Brogdon and Devon Hall even finished their eligibility with master's degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, but there hasn't been a hint of it at Virginia.
Regardless of the unlikeliness, if he had interest, Bennett would find a way. It would be program malpractice to not do so. Just because the top players don’t want to go there doesn’t mean they wouldn’t bend the rules for them. zero evidence that they wouldn’t so I’ll side with what other elite academic institutions do.

Regardless of the unlikeliness, if he had interest, Bennett would find a way. It would be program malpractice to not do so. Just because the top players don’t want to go there doesn’t mean they wouldn’t bend the rules for them. zero evidence that they wouldn’t so I’ll side with what other elite academic institutions do.
Then, I think it's likely that you have very little grasp of the culture at UVa. Reportedly, after Jeff Jones was dismissed, Terry Holland had selected Mike Jarvis to be his successor. The final step in the process was the interview with UVa president, John Casteen. During the interview, Jarvis told President Casteen that if he took the job, any recruit he wanted would have to be granted admission. That statement ended Jarvis' association with the University of Virginia. In fact, it was shortly after that that Holland left to become AD at East Carolina. Also, in recent years, there have been highly touted football recruits who wanted to attend UVa, and who had qualified per the NCAA. They were told they'd have to spend a year at prep school if they wanted admission. Just sayin'.

Then, I think it's likely that you have very little grasp of the culture at UVa. Reportedly, after Jeff Jones was dismissed, Terry Holland had selected Mike Jarvis to be his successor. The final step in the process was the interview with UVa president, John Casteen. During the interview, Jarvis told President Casteen that if he took the job, any recruit he wanted would have to be granted admission. That statement ended Jarvis' association with the University of Virginia. In fact, it was shortly after that that Holland left to become AD at East Carolina. Also, in recent years, there have been highly touted football recruits who wanted to attend UVa, and who had qualified per the NCAA. They were told they'd have to spend a year at prep school if they wanted admission. Just sayin'.
If you say so man, UCLA, Cal, Duke, UNC, USC all elite academic institutions that bend the rules. Maybe UVA is a unicorn, I doubt it, but maybe.

Why would he do that? Like why would you expect he would do that? He hasn’t done it for 46 years so he isn’t going to start now. I just don’t understand what coach all of you have been watching. He has never been one to talk down about another team (after a win or a loss), he has never questioned the zone and he has never been one to say “I screwed up.” He isn't going to start at 75. It sounds like he’s been “losers lamtent-ing” more lately because the team has LOST more lol jfc
75?
Need a new calendar LOL

I’m just not sure what you expect? Maybe that’s what I’m struggling with
Fair enough.
My expectations about JB have shifted dramatically over these last few years, so much so that I no longer have none. That in essence is the major issue I have.
Mine, and I venture, the fanbase's expectations have gotten so low, that we no longer expect the best, and are resigned to the same pathetic losers lament more than 10, 11, 12 times a year, and counting.
To keep it simple, I'm fed up w/ the losing pressers, and I don't see anything to indicate that's changing anytime soon.
Hope this helps

For me, it was the fact that UVA didn’t hit a FG for 8 min and we were still trailing by double digits at that moment

If you say so man, UCLA, Cal, Duke, UNC, USC all elite academic institutions that bend the rules. Maybe UVA is a unicorn, I doubt it, but maybe.
I can't speak to the academic standards of most of those, but we all know what UNC perpetrated.

However. . .

UVa could not possibly be a unicorn, because. . .Stanford. See Andrew Luck.

I can't speak to the academic standards of most of those, but we all know what UNC perpetrated.

However. . .

UVa could not possibly be a unicorn, because. . .Stanford. See Andrew Luck.
Stanford had their short rise and subsequent fall though

Stanford had their short rise and subsequent fall though
I didn't think the thread was talking about athletic excellence; rather about schools bending (or not) their academic rules to get guys into school.

I didn't think the thread was talking about athletic excellence; rather about schools bending (or not) their academic rules to get guys into school.
Oh no, it is I’m just saying that I didn’t include them because it honestly doesn’t seem like they have had interest in sustained athletic performance since Harbaugh left

Oh no, it is I’m just saying that I didn’t include them because it honestly doesn’t seem like they have had interest in sustained athletic performance since Harbaugh left
Shaw had a number of very good teams.

Incidentally, it is rumored that the main reason he just quit is Stanford refused to allow him to use the portal--because they are not willing to accept credits earned by athletes at many institutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom