Potential 2024 Roster | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2024 Roster

Look at Marylands Donte Trader. He was highly recruited in lacrosse but they moved him to short stick this yr due to not playing in a few yrs and he's a safety who played at a high level in college. Kid was one of the best one on one shortys in the country. Put him on a basketball court and I bet he can D up anyone. Just knows how to play defense.

Trader looks like a one year wonder, going back to football full time, that's the rumor anyway.

Trader looks like a one year wonder, going back to football full time, that's the rumor anyway.
Yeah I saw that. Shame he's a hell of lacrosse player too. Probably wants a shot at the NFL so concentrating on football. I enjoyed watching him play. Hate Maryland but love solid defense and he played solid D.

Look at Marylands Donte Trader. He was highly recruited in lacrosse but they moved him to short stick this yr due to not playing in a few yrs and he's a safety who played at a high level in college. Kid was one of the best one on one shortys in the country. Put him on a basketball court and I bet he can D up anyone. Just knows how to play defense.
good example

I thought this was an interesting look at the playoff selection process. The author clearly put in a lot of time and thought into his proposal. I can't claim to understand all of it, but it's clear something needs to change. TLDR:

• Remove RPI as an official selection criteria, but use it as an input to calculate RPI Strength of Record
  • Remove “Record against ranked teams 1-5; 6-10; 11-15; 16-20; 21+” and Average RPI win/loss and replace it with RPI Strength of Record.
The "bands" of 1-5; 6-10, etc is just silly and clearly needs to be looked at. Is it that much of a difference to beat a team ranked 6th rather than 5th?

Also, unrelated but it really seems time to end the travel restrictions for the playoffs. Completely outdated and unfair to the players and fans. You can't tell me with all the money the greedy NCAA generates they can't afford to put on a proper playoff?

It's probably way too soon to try and guess at a depth chart, but with all the new additions to the team, I thought it might be instructive to see what the team might look like. I'll try not to be as long winded as normal.

Attack: Joey Spallina (So), Owen Hiltz (R-Jr), Christian Mule (Gr)
In the running: Trey Deere (Fr)
The big question on offense is that third attack spot next to Hiltz and Spallina. I put Mule there since he's coming off three years starting at attack for Lehigh, but Spallina's comments make me think he'll see time at midfield. A natural rightly might make more sense.

First Midfield: Sam English (GR), Finn Thomson (So), Michael Leo (So)
Second Midfield: Jake Stevens (GR), Jackson Birtwistle (R-Jr), Luke Rhoa (So)
In the running: Carter Kempney (So), Wyatt Hottle (Fr), Tucker Kellogg (Fr), Tyler McCartney (Fr)
I think it's pretty clear who the top nine on offense will be. It's just a matter of who plays where, and how the midfield lines shake out. I'd personally like to see Birtwistle and Rhoa on different lines given that they are "finishers" first. I don't think there is a huge gap in talent from the first to second lines.

Face-off: Mason Kohn (Gr)
In the running: John Mullen (Fr), Jake Spallina (Fr)
Kohn comes in as the alpha dog. He should get a majority of the reps. Question is how many runs they give the younger guys Mullen and Spallina. Would be great if they could develop one of the younger players. Also someone to challenge Kohn in practice would go a long way as well. Face-off wings should see a huge improvement from last year.

LSM: Matt Wright (Gr), Steven Schmitt (Gr)
In the running: Dylan Sageder (So)
SU gets a huge infusion of talent here with two grad transfers. Schmitt should add a lot to the transition game which fell off after Saam Olexo had to move to close. Both should also be a huge help on the face-off wings.

SSDM: Carter Rice (Jr), Jake Titus (Gr), Max Rosa (Sr), Vinnie Trujilo (So)
In the running: Jake Spallina (Fr), Chrisawn Hunter (Fr), Donnie Scott (Fr)
The biggest question mark on the squad. Will the coaches add another transfer here? Perhaps there are players they have in mind that we don't know about yet. Jeremy had mentioned moving Zach Puckhabor here, but I wonder about a player making that sort of transition (new position, DIII-DI).

Close Defense: Riley Figuerias (R-Fr), Saam Olexo (Sr), Billy Dwan (So)
In the running: Landon Clary (R-Jr), Caden Kol (R-Jr), Nick Caccamo (Jr), Zach Puckhabor (Gr)
I think Figurias and Olexo should be locks here but that third spot could really be anyone at this point. I'm glad they brought in Puckhabor, something this unit was missing was size outside of Dwan. Clary seems like the biggest X-factor, he was the top cover man early last year but didn't look great to end the year.

Goalie: Will Mark (Gr)
In the running: Jimmy McCool (R-Fr)
No questions in goal with Mark. Hopefully McCool can get his feet wet at some point to prepare him for '25 (hopefully in the form of an SU blowout win).

It's probably way too soon to try and guess at a depth chart, but with all the new additions to the team, I thought it might be instructive to see what the team might look like. I'll try not to be as long winded as normal.

The big question on offense is that third attack spot next to Hiltz and Spallina. I put Mule there since he's coming off three years starting at attack for Lehigh, but Spallina's comments make me think he'll see time at midfield. A natural rightly might make more sense.

In the running: Carter Kempney (So), Wyatt Hottle (Fr), Tucker Kellogg (Fr), Tyler McCartney (Fr)
I think it's pretty clear who the top nine on offense will be. It's just a matter of who plays where, and how the midfield lines shake out. I'd personally like to see Birtwistle and Rhoa on different lines given that they are "finishers" first. I don't think there is a huge gap in talent from the first to second lines.

Kohn comes in as the alpha dog. He should get a majority of the reps. Question is how many runs they give the younger guys Mullen and Spallina. Would be great if they could develop one of the younger players. Also someone to challenge Kohn in practice would go a long way as well. Face-off wings should see a huge improvement from last year.

SU gets a huge infusion of talent here with two grad transfers. Schmitt should add a lot to the transition game which fell off after Saam Olexo had to move to close. Both should also be a huge help on the face-off wings.

The biggest question mark on the squad. Will the coaches add another transfer here? Perhaps there are players they have in mind that we don't know about yet. Jeremy had mentioned moving Zach Puckhabor here, but I wonder about a player making that sort of transition (new position, DIII-DI).

In the running: Landon Clary (R-Jr), Caden Kol (R-Jr), Nick Caccamo (Jr), Zach Puckhabor (Gr)
I think Figurias and Olexo should be locks here but that third spot could really be anyone at this point. I'm glad they brought in Puckhabor, something this unit was missing was size outside of Dwan. Clary seems like the biggest X-factor, he was the top cover man early last year but didn't look great to end the year.

No questions in goal with Mark. Hopefully McCool can get his feet wet at some point to prepare him for '25 (hopefully in the form of an SU blowout win).

Great rundown. I would add Finn in the running at attack and Frat in the running at close.

Using Powellfan 's format, my thoughts:

Attack: Joey Spallina (So), Owen Hiltz (R-Jr), Jackson Birtwistle (R-Jr)
In the running: Trey Deere (Fr), Christian Mule (GR), Finn Thomson (So)
"A natural rightly might make more sense." Thomson hasnt shown the ability to dodge a pole yet (that's what she said). Birtwistle is big, can snipe/finish, and allows Spallina and Hiltz the freedom to do all the playmaking (as evidenced in part by Birtwistle having "0" career assists).

First Midfield: Luke Rhoa (So), Finn Thomson (So), Michael Leo (So)
Second Midfield: Jake Stevens (GR), Sam English (GR), Christian Mule (GR)
In the running: Carter Kempney (So), John Cohen (R-Jr), Tyler Cordes (Jr), Wyatt Hottle (Fr), Tyler McCartney (Fr)
You can see what I did with the groupings. Kept a lefty on each line to pair with Hiltz. I also think Stevens and English will both run two ways some to make up for some deficiencies at SSDM.

In the running: John Mullen (Fr), Johnny Richiusa (Jr), Jack Fine (Jr), Jake Spallina (Fr)
Spallina at FO should really only be a last resort. Both he and Kohn do have some FOSO ability though (Jake more so).

Wright looked really good on the face off wing against SU in the Dome.

SSDM: Saam Olexo, (Sr,) Carter Rice (Jr), Jake Titus (Gr) ,Jake Spallina (Fr)
In the running: Max Rosa (Sr) , Vinnie Trujilo (So), Chrisawn Hunter (Fr), Blake Borges (R-So), Caelin Lewis (R-Jr), Barrett White (Jr)
Having strong shorties is the key to winning high level games. Olexo started there and can end there. He might be a top two player at all three defensive position, so I would play him where he is needed most. Borges, Lewis, and White are not seeing meaningful midfield minutes - all three have the size to match up with the beefy attacking players our rivals are running out - pick the one with the best feet and get'em some run.

Close Defense: Riley Figuerias (R-Fr), Nick Caccamo (Jr), Billy Dwan (So)
In the running: Landon Clary (R-Jr), Caden Kol (R-Jr), Zach Puckhabor (Gr), Chuck Kuczynski (R-Fr), Nick Fraterrigo (Sr)
I think Dwan and a healthy Figuerias are locks. The third close will be whoever fits best. I will say I thought Clary and Kol struggled far more than they should've at the end of last season, UVA really being a low point.

Last edited:

"A natural rightly might make more sense." Thomson hasnt shown the ability to dodge a pole yet (that's what she said). Birtwistle is big, can snipe/finish, and allows Spallina and Hiltz the freedom to do all the playmaking (as evidenced in part by Birtwistle having "0" career assists).

In the running: Carter Kempney (So), John Cohen (R-Jr), Tyler Cordes (Jr), Wyatt Hottle (Fr), Tyler McCartney (Fr)
You can see what I did with the groupings. Kept a lefty on each line to pair with Hiltz. I also think Stevens and English will both run two ways some to make up for some deficiencies at SSDM.

In the running: John Mullen (Fr), Johnny Richiusa (Jr), Jack Fine (Jr), Jake Spallina (Fr)
Spallina at FO should really only be a last resort. Both he and Kohn do have some FOSO ability though (Jake more so).

In the running: Max Rosa (Sr) , Vinnie Trujilo (So), Chrisawn Hunter (Fr), Blake Borges (R-So), Caelin Lewis (R-Jr), Barrett White (Jr)
Having strong shorties is the key to winning high level games. Olexo started there and can end there. He might be a top two player at all three defensive position, so I would play him where he is needed most. Borges, Lewis, and White are not seeing meaningful midfield minutes - all three have the size match up with the beefy attacking players are rivals are running out - pick the one with the best feet and get'em some run.

In the running: Landon Clary (R-Jr), Caden Kol (R-Jr), Zach Puckhabor (Gr), Chuck Kuczynski (R-Fr), Nick Fraterrigo (Sr)
I think Dwan and a healthy Figuerias are locks. The third close will be whoever fits less. I will say I thought Clary and Kol struggled far more than they should've at the end of last season, UVA really being a low point.

Thinking out the box would make the defense very strong. Petro seems pretty old school so I’m not sure how realistic it would be to see Olexo move to DM but it should be considered. Tenaglia is also a player that was working at DM towards the end of last year.

Think I am still team Thomson for attack. The feeding ability and two man game looks he gets can work against anyone. Had some yips finishing, maybe tried to get too fancy a couple times, but I think he can outgrow that. Hiltz and spallina can dodge and with all the match up problems in our midfield I don’t think we need the third attack to be a long pole ankle breaking type. Think he can still make things happen with the ball in his stick with his vision/feeding.

Think I am still team Thomson for attack. The feeding ability and two man game looks he gets can work against anyone. Had some yips finishing, maybe tried to get too fancy a couple times, but I think he can outgrow that. Hiltz and spallina can dodge and with all the match up problems in our midfield I don’t think we need the third attack to be a long pole ankle breaking type. Think he can still make things happen with the ball in his stick with his vision/feeding.
I agree..#teamThomson.. lol
And I know I’ve said this before.. I think we have enough talent to have a third line now

Thinking out the box would make the defense very strong. Petro seems pretty old school so I’m not sure how realistic it would be to see Olexo move to DM but it should be considered. Tenaglia is also a player that was working at DM towards the end of last year.

Olexxo is the teams top cover guy right now, zero chance he moves to SSDM. Clary has prior experience playing with a short stick so a move for him is possible but again have to see whose healthy, who shows out in the fall etc...

I was under the impression he was moving back to attack this year, am now hearing the opposite, he will stay at middie.

I was under the impression he was moving back to attack this year, am now hearing the opposite, he will stay at middie.
Woah. Crazy that it is already a confirmed decision. Wonder if the 3rd guy has also been decided

figuerias... had he been confirmed as running with 1s before his injury? had they scrimmaged yet? he's also coming off an acl?, tho for '24s sake it was 14-15 months prior to the '24 season. not everybody gets back 100, at least not right away, but younger's better and technology nowadays makes it a viable path.

figuerias... had he been confirmed as running with 1s before his injury? had they scrimmaged yet? he's also coming off an acl?, tho for '24s sake it was 14-15 months prior to the '24 season. not everybody gets back 100, at least not right away, but younger's better and technology nowadays makes it a viable path.

He was running with the 1's prior to getting hurt. Had been given #11 which usually goes to the top defender as a true frosh. The recovery from the injury is definitely a concern.

first year after an ACL is often tough. i would temper expectations and be looking more toward 2025 to see the "real" figueiras

Doesn’t look like Zach Mercado is on his way out.

This is good news. He probably also needs some time to get used to the speed of the D1 game. We said the same about Trujillo and he is coming from one of the the best high school lax programs in the nation. Meanwhile Mercado did all his playing in Texas. But he is a strong and fast guy who can help us at ssdm.

Having strong shorties is the key to winning high level games. Olexo started there and can end there. He might be a top two player at all three defensive position, so I would play him where he is needed most. Borges, Lewis, and White are not seeing meaningful midfield minutes - all three have the size to match up with the beefy attacking players our rivals are running out - pick the one with the best feet and get'em some run.

I think Dwan and a healthy Figuerias are locks. The third close will be whoever fits best. I will say I thought Clary and Kol struggled far more than they should've at the end of last season, UVA really being a low point.

I definitely like your offensive depth chart more than mine. I guess I was trying to pick what I thought the coaches might do, based on seniority and things like that, rather than what I thought they should do. If I had my run of things I think it would look like this:

Attack: Hiltz, Spallina, Birtwistle
Hiltz and Spallina should hold down the playmaking and quarterbacking roles, which would allow Birtwistle to fill the net. I might be crazy but I think Birtwistle could be a 50 goal scorer at attack if given the chance. He's great off ball and can shoot from distance as well. If opposing teams try to short stick him I think he's enough of a dodger to take advantage. Not a passer (duh) but he'd be surrounded by playmakers like his attack-mates, Thomson, English and Mule. Plus he proved at the end of the 2021 season he could play the position (13 goals in four games, all against good competition).

First Midfield: Thomson, English, Leo
I toyed with the idea of flipping Leo and Mule but didn't. I think Thomson could recreate his two-man game magic with former Alex Simmons teammate English. The transfer would most likely draw the long pole allowing Thomson and Leo to attack shorties. I think this is a big year for Leo as he showed real flashes last year but needs to be more consistent. He was often the "party starter" on offense last year and was able to draw a slide pretty easily. But he can't be hesitant, especially with a shorty.

Second Midfield: Stevens, Rhoa, Mule
Mule probably draws the long stick out of this group but it could also be Stevens. Whoever doesn't get it should really be able to feast on whichever shorty they draw. Mule should hopefully be able to form some real chemistry with very good shooters in Stevens and Rhoa. Stevens and Rhoa could also be tremendous "inside/outside" shooters, given Stevens ability to finish in tight and Rhoa's range. Rhoa has a lot of talent, we have to hope that the game he had against Duke to end the season (hat trick) carries over to this year.

I think you might find Stephens at ssdm when Rosa and Trujillo have trouble and they will. Otherwise, I would exchange Stephens for English on the first mids, maybe even experiment with Stephens on the first attack line. Because Stephens is so valuable all over the field, I believe you are right about Mule. And be as long winded as you like. It's always interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom