Potential 2024 Roster | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2024 Roster

Nice article, certainly good to get coverage of the Orange in the offseason. The author lists Connor Beals of Mount St. Mary's, Mathew Gunty of Brown and Mathew DeSouza as the top three guys in the portal right now. I think Gunty is certainly in a class by himself given the league he's in and his consistency. I'd be really shocked if he doesn't end up at UVA though.

Beals has an impressive winning percentage this year at 65%, but he has not faced very stiff competition. The only two playoff teams they faced were Marist and Delaware (though he finished with a winning percentage against both teams). Last year he was only at 47% and he's already on his third school (community college, Canisius, then MSM). Not saying Syracuse should avoid him, I'd just be a bit worried in the step up in competition.

We've talked about DeSouza, he does seem like one to watch, 62% this year and above 50% the previous two years as well. He got the better of Sisseleberger as well this year, going 9-16. Only finsiehdd under 50%, twice, against Lafayette and UMBC (in fairness he went 10-23). The only thing is that it looks like he split his draws with a teammate most of the season - can he handle a full time job? He took 222 face-offs compared to the 325 that Gunty took.

Also curious if Dartmouth's Mitchel Myers enters the portal - he finished at 56% this year. He's a senior but has only played in 2022 and 2023.

Anyways, hopeful they get the guy who has been rumored as he's a very good player. Still good to keep track of what else is out there.

Nice article, certainly good to get coverage of the Orange in the offseason. The author lists Connor Beals of Mount St. Mary's, Mathew Gunty of Brown and Mathew DeSouza as the top three guys in the portal right now. I think Gunty is certainly in a class by himself given the league he's in and his consistency. I'd be really shocked if he doesn't end up at UVA though.

Beals has an impressive winning percentage this year at 65%, but he has not faced very stiff competition. The only two playoff teams they faced were Marist and Delaware (though he finished with a winning percentage against both teams). Last year he was only at 47% and he's already on his third school (community college, Canisius, then MSM). Not saying Syracuse should avoid him, I'd just be a bit worried in the step up in competition.

We've talked about DeSouza, he does seem like one to watch, 62% this year and above 50% the previous two years as well. He got the better of Sisseleberger as well this year, going 9-16. Only finsiehdd under 50%, twice, against Lafayette and UMBC (in fairness he went 10-23). The only thing is that it looks like he split his draws with a teammate most of the season - can he handle a full time job? He took 222 face-offs compared to the 325 that Gunty took.

Also curious if Dartmouth's Mitchel Myers enters the portal - he finished at 56% this year. He's a senior but has only played in 2022 and 2023.

Anyways, hopeful they get the guy who has been rumored as he's a very good player. Still good to keep track of what else is out there.

Like you I'd be a little hesitant on Beals just based on the competition level. Not saying he's not a guy to go after if it comes to that but I'd have a few guys a little bit higher on the pecking order. Still 65% is impressive but as NYCLax would say "can he do it in the ACC".

If the rumored FOGO transfer doesn't come to fruition I like DeSouza personally. I know Binghamton isn't exactly facing an ACC or B10 level schedule but he's consistently been above 50% and has outdueled the top FOGO in the country. Obviously there will be some competition and I believe he's from down South so its unclear if he wants to play closer to home.

Gunty seems destined for UVA or ND, seems unlikely SU would be involved here.

With two highly successful X guys coming and Fine and our own X-guys holding their own down the stretch (for the most part), SU should at minimum have a number of options to throw at the X versus just two guys. Still I think it's clear SU needs a veteran transfer presence even if their in a share situation.

Like you I'd be a little hesitant on Beals just based on the competition level. Not saying he's not a guy to go after if it comes to that but I'd have a few guys a little bit higher on the pecking order. Still 65% is impressive but as NYCLax would say "can he do it in the ACC".

If the rumored FOGO transfer doesn't come to fruition I like DeSouza personally. I know Binghamton isn't exactly facing an ACC or B10 level schedule but he's consistently been above 50% and has outdueled the top FOGO in the country. Obviously there will be some competition and I believe he's from down South so its unclear if he wants to play closer to home.

Gunty seems destined for UVA or ND, seems unlikely SU would be involved here.

With two highly successful X guys coming and Fine and our own X-guys holding their own down the stretch (for the most part), SU should at minimum have a number of options to throw at the X versus just two guys. Still I think it's clear SU needs a veteran transfer presence even if their in a share situation.
Beals struggled last yr in the NEC with Zach Cole, Adam Shea and Justin Joseph. Also Bryant's 2 FOGOs are solid so this yr he faced less comp on the MAAC. I believe he was under 50% last yr in the NEC so wouldn't go that route.

No no no no.

People will be happy when players announce I hope.

Just hold onto your butts.
Fire Cigarette GIF

The news keeps getting better and better. So far...

Sam English (M, Princeton, 7g, 13a, 9 games)
Jake Stevens (M, Princeton 24g, 5a, 15 games)
Christian Mule (A, Lehigh, 29g, 44a, 15 games)
Matt Wright (LSM, UNC, 1g, 3a, 27gb, 9 caused turnovers, 14 games)

Yes make sense, believe he has his degree and probably is ready to move on as he's not looking at much PT if he came back for next year.
Kind of a shame since ssdm depth is looking like a problem next year

Kind of a shame since ssdm depth is looking like a problem next year

Agreed,Woody had some good moments but SSDM is so tough to play at this level. Even a guy who has all the traits but high end D1 speed in Rosa has struggled at time against elite level teams. There are very few elite SSDM's. I can think of maybe a handful the last 20+ years at SU. ND is probably the team that usually has the highest level SSDM's year in and year out. Maryland last year probably had the best collection of depth at the position I have ever seen but most were Srs which isn't' surprising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom