Potential DL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DL

Is James Heard going to be lining up at DE as well or has it been confirmed he will be a stand-up LB?
No confirmation but his HS film looks very good playing the edge. Lots of sacks. I also saw a report somewhere with WVU staff being excited about his natural pass rushing abilities.

No confirmation but his HS film looks very good playing the edge. Lots of sacks. I also saw a report somewhere with WVU staff being excited about his natural pass rushing abilities.
The signing day roster listed him as a 'Jack' which to me sounds like a hybrid OLB/DE pass rushing type. Either way he is someone to watch this spring.

What's funny is before Fran Brown got here, Caden Brown- NYS top 3 or 4 recruit- would have been our pash rush threat and starting at DE.
He's not even on your 3 deep.
Isnt Caden listed as a LBer? I could be wrong and didnt take the time to look, but thats what I recall from his recruitment.

Isnt Caden listed as a LBer? I could be wrong and didnt take the time to look, but thats what I recall from his recruitment.
I'm not sure. We have him listed as a DLineman in our current roster list on the board here.

Is James Heard going to be lining up at DE as well or has it been confirmed he will be a stand-up LB?

I wonder if he'll play the JACK position, which is essentially an OLB/DE. Bama has both a Jack and Star. I assume Georgia does to.

The jack is one of the front four. So does the Jack actually drop back off the line as a OLB sometimes then? If they do I didn't realize that. Fadil Diggs was listed as a Jack End in his commitment videos as well. 260 lbs is pretty big to drop back into coverage as an OLB. I would guess those assignment on those plays would mostly be to either stop the run or guard a TE or RB?

What's funny is before Fran Brown got here, Caden Brown- NYS top 3 or 4 recruit- would have been our pash rush threat and starting at DE.
He's not even on your 3 deep.
Was recruited as a LB

The jack is one of the front four. So does the Jack actually drop back off the line as a OLB sometimes then? If they do I didn't realize that. Fadil Diggs was listed as a Jack End in his commitment videos as well. 260 lbs is pretty big to drop back into coverage as an OLB. I would guess those assignment on those plays would mostly be to either stop the run or guard a TE or RB?
Ah Nevermind. Heard and Lasine are listed as Jacks. Fatil DIggs was listed as big Skill which is on the DL. That makes more sense. So the Jack is just one of the two LB positions, the one on the weakside correct?

Last edited:
I assume the Jack is mostly a LB that does rush the passer fairly often and may sometimes drop down onto the line in the gaps pre snap.

What got me confused as one of the commitment videos they listed one of the guys as a Jack End. I think that must have just been a mistake right?

We don’t yet know how good he’ll be, but if it turns out that he’s a legit lineman, yes, it should be considered coaching malpractice. Let’s hope he turns out to be that good. Not to tarnish the previous staff, but because we need all the talented players we can get. We’re digging out of a hole.

If he's as good as we think/hope he is, he wasn't going to play here 4 more years anyway.

The days of keeping a talented player for 5 years are dead. Developmental player, perhaps, but you wouldn't see any production out of them until maybe year 3, probably year 4.

Last edited:
If he's as good as we think/hope he is, he wasn't going to play here 4 more years anyway.

The days of keeping a talented player for 5 years are dead. Developmental player, perhaps, but you wouldn't see any production out of them until maybe year 3, probably year 4.
I agree with you but just play him at the position he was brought in for.

Last edited:
Time to switch to the OL. :)

I agree with but just play him at the position he was brought in for.

I assume that's going to happen now?

I also assume he practiced at DT this past year?

What got me confused as one of the commitment videos they listed one of the guys as a Jack End. I think that must have just been a mistake right?
As long as he isn’t a jack hole we are good :)

If I’m understanding the defense correctly there will be 3 DL positions (NT, DT and DE) and a Jack that will play on the line of scrimmage (LB that plays similar to how Lowery and Thompson have been used). Heard and Lesaine were brought in as Jacks. I could also see Caden Brown there. Diggs being listed as “Big Skill” could mean he will play both the DE and Jack positions.

it could be as simple as the kid did not want to RS so they created some way to get him on the field.

I would have Jobity in the front line before Ingraham
Did u check film after we last talked about Ingraham. Jobity in my opinion is a DE in this defense i think. he aint close to being big enough at Dt. Now can he be with some S&C yeah hut not yrt i dont think. I like Ingraham more at Dt than Jobity, but jobity does make plays. we will find out soon

If I’m understanding the defense correctly there will be 3 DL positions (NT, DT and DE) and a Jack that will play on the line of scrimmage (LB that plays similar to how Lowery and Thompson have been used). Heard and Lesaine were brought in as Jacks. I could also see Caden Brown there. Diggs being listed as “Big Skill” could mean he will play both the DE and Jack positions.
Makes sense on all.

Did u check film after we last talked about Ingraham. Jobity in my opinion is a DE in this defense i think. he aint close to being big enough at Dt. Now can he be with some S&C yeah hut not yrt i dont think. I like Ingraham more at Dt than Jobity, but jobity does make plays. we will find out soon
Yeah Jobity will be a weak end. Have to have some speed on the edge. He is in that 5-6 man rotation imo along with Jazquez. Im not big on Ingraham but lets see how he looks in this scheme. I think he can give them something as a 4i but he is not athletic enough to play on the edge and doesnt look strong enough to play over the guards. Maybe ERob can coach him up.

Last edited:
Yeah Jobity will be a weak end. Have to have some speed on the edge. He is in that 5-6 man rotation imo along with Jazquez. Im not big in Ingraham but lets see how he looks in this scheme. I think he can give them something as a 4i but he is not athletic enough to play on the edge and doesnt look strong enough to play over the guards. Maybe ERob can coach him up.
Could you see Ingraham bulked up to a NT? I thought about that with his reduced mobility due to injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom