Potential JB successors | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someday the story of what happened when Mike left will be made clear. At the time it happened, it was told at least partially on this board by those who know what transpired. I'm not going to get into it except to say that it wasn't a case of JB simply deciding to "hang on".

Heard similar stuff.

But this isn't a discussion about Hopkins, or JB opting to stick around longer short term in the wake of his departure -- it's a discussion about a HC holding a program hostage by hanging on too long by an increment of several years, over which program performance has tangibly slipped.

Heard similar stuff.

But this isn't a discussion about Hopkins, or JB opting to stick around longer short term in the wake of his departure -- it's a discussion about a HC holding a program hostage by hanging on too long by an increment of several years, over which program performance has tangibly slipped.
You know, I would be a little bit more tolerant if I saw him acting like, we are going to hit the portal harder than hard and make sure this crap doesn't happen again. And Maybe we will. But I have heard that if we don't get Mintz, we will go for a guard and if Cole stays, that's it. Yes, that could work. But it is iffy. Let's go out and make sure we have a good team next year. Another portal forward regardless of what Cole does. They want to make Benny happy and not block the frosh forwards from what I hear. I can't disagree with that more.

He’s been to the NCAA tournament 3 times in about 20 years of coaching. It’s a pass for me.
Well he just beat Colorado, Oklahoma and Virginia on the road to get to the Garden in the NIT. SYR wouldn't be able to do that. We even lost to UVA in the Dome this year. It's harder for SBU to get a bid to the NCAAs as an at-large in the A10 than it is for bubble team SYR in a P5. I don’t think NCAA appearances are the end all, be all for a coach in a conference like Schmidt. The ACC got 5 teams in the tourney in a bad year. The A10 isn't getting 5 teams in during a good year. Plus, he was at Robert Morris a long time, a 1-bid conference.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that happening. In a way, it would be a repudiation of everything he believes in. he is going to say bring in a man to man coach? He is going to say, no reason to keep my ass'ts? Because someone from the outside would want their own ass'ts. I just can't see it.
That would never happen. One of JBs greatest traits is loyalty. To the school, players. Coaches, staff and community.

You know, I would be a little bit more tolerant if I saw him acting like, we are going to hit the portal harder than hard and make sure this crap doesn't happen again. And Maybe we will. But I have heard that if we don't get Mintz, we will go for a guard and if Cole stays, that's it. Yes, that could work. But it is iffy. Let's go out and make sure we have a good team next year. Another portal forward regardless of what Cole does. They want to make Benny happy and not block the frosh forwards from what I hear. I can't disagree with that more.
If we get a guard and Cole stays, is the inn full?

If Cole stays, we're currently at 13.

No room for Mintz or another guard unless either Cole / JBA / Chaz leave.

Too late for a Boeheim to pay his own way under the new SU employee’s dependent 100% tuition discount? If you’ve been employed by SU for 40 or more years your dependents get the full 100% discount.

Too late for a Boeheim to pay his own way under the new SU employee’s dependent 100% tuition discount? If you’ve been employed by SU for 40 or more years your dependents get the full 100% discount.
They’re gone. Signed with agents

It’s hard to have faith after how he has neglected the PG position for years only the most important position in college hoops and how he conducted the rotations at SG the last few years.

That last Duke game showed how wrong he was.

If we don’t keep Swider and don’t get Mintz next year is scary. Boeheim isn’t an idiot which makes me wonder why he is so high on a 5 player recruiting class nobody else sees as plug and play next year.

It’s beyond frustrating. Why would JB take the lumps next year with freshman and then retire. The next HC may want different style of players.
It’s like a football coach on the hot seat trading next year’s first round pick to get a QB and do it to give themselves an extra year of job security.

This stuff is fishy.
If we roll with Jesse, Joe, Benny and the freshman next year good night 2022-2023.

It’s hard to have faith after how he has neglected the PG position for years only the most important position in college hoops and how he conducted the rotations at SG the last few years.

That last Duke game showed how wrong he was.

If we don’t keep Swider and don’t get Mintz next year is scary. Boeheim isn’t an idiot which makes me wonder why he is so high on a 5 player recruiting class nobody else sees as plug and play next year.

It’s beyond frustrating. Why would JB take the lumps next year with freshman and then retire. The next HC may want different style of players.
It’s like a football coach on the hot seat trading next year’s first round pick to get a QB and do it to give themselves an extra year of job security.

This stuff is fishy.
If we roll with Jesse, Joe, Benny and the freshman next year good night 2022-2023.

I mean, he rolled with the team this year. And I think most of us wrote it off that he did it because of his sons, but maybe he's just got tunnel vision at this point and is overestimating his coaching powers.

But it seems like he has to have some awareness of the situation since we've gone after Mintz and threw a hail mary to Skyy.

Dunno, I'm not surprised if we just roll with the crew that you noted in the last line (plus Frank and Sy obviously).

I mean, he rolled with the team this year. And I think most of us wrote it off that he did it because of his sons, but maybe he's just got tunnel vision at this point and is overestimating his coaching powers.

But it seems like he has to have some awareness of the situation since we've gone after Mintz and threw a hail mary to Skyy.

Dunno, I'm not surprised if we just roll with the crew that you noted in the last line (plus Frank and Sy obviously).
Staff knows they need another G

We will be a peer program to Pitt and BC for all intents and purposes next year if this is how the offseason plays out.

Brutal spot to put Gerry or Red in if JB is able to give them the keys (he absolutely could quit midseason if its ugly.) The fans will be clamoring for the next guy before they coach a game.

Wildhack should just make an external hire right now and everyone moves on before things get ugly.

Ditto -- this is the option that makes the most sense, given the state of our program.

We can't afford a two-year period of continued decline, just to throw JB a bone. That option went away when he decided to hang on for five additional years, with performance on a consistent trend of slumping performance.
To steal a Wildhack phrase JB has burned through any built up equity.

I get that SU is more than likely to hire our next coach from within (Red or GMac). Here’s why I think that’s a mistake.

Most high school kids just don’t want to play zone D. It’s not the primary defense at the next level so I completely agree. Why come to SU and play Zone if you aspirations aren’t to play at the next level.

Unless either of them are willing to play M2M, I’m really hoping for an outside hire. Call me crazy, but I would love to see SU go with someone like Pitino and play an aggressive full court M2M. Ya, dudes a bit creepy and all, but the man can coach and recruit.

I get that SU is more than likely to hire our next coach from within (Red or GMac). Here’s why I think that’s a mistake.

Most high school kids just don’t want to play zone D. It’s not the primary defense at the next level so I completely agree. Why come to SU and play Zone if you aspirations aren’t to play at the next level.

Unless either of them are willing to play M2M, I’m really hoping for an outside hire. Call me crazy, but I would love to see SU go with someone like Pitino and play an aggressive full court M2M. Ya, dudes a bit creepy and all, but the man can coach and recruit.
Pitino plays mostly zone. SU is not going to hire Pitino if he volunteered to coach. I don’t get people not understanding that. There’s zero percent chance he gets hired.

I know his name has been brought up already, but watching Shaheen Holloway and how successful he has been, I can’t help but think Jason Hart would be a great coach here. He’s had success at the places he’s been, had a long NBA tenure, and seems like a good recruiter. Also, although he’s a former alum, he would absolutely not play zone.

I know his name has been brought up already, but watching Shaheen Holloway and how successful he has been, I can’t help but think Jason Hart would be a great coach here. He’s had success at the places he’s been, had a long NBA tenure, and seems like a good recruiter. Also, although he’s a former alum, he would absolutely not play zone.
He wouldn’t even know where to go to recruit kids on the east coast. He has zero connections. He’s been gone for twenty years. He’s never been a head coach either. Red and Gerry are better choices.

He wouldn’t even know where to go to recruit kids on the east coast. He has zero connections. He’s been gone for twenty years. He’s never been a head coach either. Red and Gerry are better choices.

Your point on east coast connections is valid (although he could probably easily hire assistants with east coast connections), but I disagree that Red and Gerry are better choices.

He’s a head coach right now.
Not at the college level. The G League is a totally different animal. You coach and do nothing else. Fans and alumni don’t care about the G League. No classes, no recruiting, no weekly talk shows, no fundraising. and a whole lot of nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.