Premier League | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

Palace! Never expected James McArthur to bother Fabregas in MF so much. Hazard was a non-factor. Pardew has those guys on point.

Yes chelsea are down. Lets hope Man City doesn't just storm away with the chip. Hope all the big clubs get their stuff together. Need some title drama! Last term was horrendously boring.

I think we can safely say the Brendan Rogers watch is officially on... paging Jurgen Klopp... paging Jurgen Klopp, please pick up the Reds courtesy phone.

This season has been interesting from a Liverpool perspective because the bast majority of fans wanted Rogers gone after last season's finish. However Liverpool brought him back and gave him a bunch of new toys to play with. To me the main questions Rogers had to show that he could build a stable defense, prove that he knows what the hell to do with a player like Benteke whom no one thought would be a good fit for a Rogers's team, and in general prove that the team could score some goals.

After the disastrous loss to West Ham I think I have answers. Rogers made a big bet on Lovren and his existing CBs by not getting reinforcements there. He also sacrificed offense by starting both Milner and Hendo in midfield who are essentially box to box midfielders who don't add THAT much to offense but do a great job of protecting the CBs. Against West Ham Rogers took for some reason started Lucas, who is more offensively limited than the other two, to again make sure the CBs were protected. Rogers also started Gomez at LB who has been an excellent defensive player but has offered nothing going forward and in fact is wrong footed so can't even dump crosses into the box, again to protect the Lovren and Skertl. The result of these moves was okay on D as Liverpool pitched two shutouts but not great on offense where Liverpool managed one goal, although they could have had a few more against Arsenal. But he got bit in the ass big time against West Ham where in spite of all the protection in the world, Lovren cost them a goal and the defense let in 3 overall and Liverpool scored 0 goals yet again.

I wasn't able to watch the West Ham game but based on the first two games it's clear that Rogers doesn't really know what to do with Benteke. Other than the 1st half against Arsenal, Benteke has been totally isolated and for the most part has had to live off of poor crosses. Liverpool overall just look really poor and disconnected going forward. Ibe has looked really bad, Lallana has looked really bad. Firemino still not making a real mark. Coutinho is the one player who has looked great this season so far but now he's suspended for the ManU game.

This year's champions league spots look wide open for the taking so I think Rogers needs to get his together or he's gone by christmas. Unfortunately I don't know what the fix is... I could see Lovren getting benched, moving Gomez to CB where he belongs and starting Moreno at LB. It will help to get Hendo back but he's not a cureall for the offense... I really have no idea where the goals will come from and I don't think Rogers does either.

United may be worse. No keeper and Rooney well... Can score against Brugge but that's about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom