Prepared to get killed by armchair doctors. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Prepared to get killed by armchair doctors.

Then we should stop even having it be a sport.
For the same reason cigarettes shouldn't be sold anymore. But it still all happens. People love destroying themselves over long periods of time.

Wow. Missed this because I was working till the 4th started, but I'm so glad SU can jeopardize this kids brain/future to NOT win a game. . . . . Scott Shafer for even allowing him back on the field.

You can't mess around with concussions like that. I don't want Shafer only demoted anymore. Please get rid of him,
that is not his call

The most vicious, violent collision I've ever seen in person was in soccer. It was a brutal, full speed, midair, head to head collision with both players going for the ball in the air. It was terrifying to watch.

Wow. That sounds atrocious. I probably would not want to see a replay of that just like I don't during gruesome injuries like McGahee or Chubbs or Lattimore. Luckily my dad sent me a text about the Nick Chubb injury about 10 seconds before a replay was shown on a different game I was watching.

I played soccer in high school. There's just as much of a risk, if not more for concussions, from collisions and heading the ball. Athletes choose to play sports. There is risk involved. I wish the media would stop acting as the moral authority for sport and Just say that the athlete signed up for the risk when he decided to play the sport.

These are exactly my thoughts. You are basically choosing a waiver to that you understand the risks of the game when you sign up to play Football. If they didn't want the chance of getting a concussion then they shouldn't play. These kids know the risks. It's nobody's "fault" for Dungey wanting to get put back into the game, and the being put back into the game.

This made me crazy. The post standard Twitter account insinuated that both picks were the result of him getting hit in the head. But apparently the throw to ismael and the 40 yard run weren't affected by his hit. Only the bad plays.

The kiddie corps reporters are terrible.

My thoughts exactly and add onto that, the TV announcers were responding the same way one each pick. Acting as if he was still rattled.

Here's what happened on those two interceptions:

1) he threw it to the wrong shoulder on the first pick. Just a bad throw.
2) he and Erv were clearly just not on the same page on the second pick, and Erv never even turned his head.

That's it. I don't see there being any conspiracy here about how it was caused by anything other than that.

I actually think Erv was possibly supposed to run a different route. ED was talking to him as they were coming off the field. By the throw, I'm guessing Erv was supposed to have stopped and turned and ED was throwing to the spot he was supposed to be at when he turned around.

I actually think Erv was possibly supposed to run a different route. ED was talking to him as they were coming off the field. By the throw, I'm guessing Erv was supposed to have stopped and turned and ED was throwing to the spot he was supposed to be at when he turned around.
That's what I thought as well. Definitely some sort of miscommunication. I thought for a moment Erv looked like he was running a flag route, and Dungey wasn't expecting that. But I didn't could be wrong, I haven't gone back and rewatched that play.

That's what I thought as well. Definitely some sort of miscommunication. I thought for a moment Erv looked like he was running a flag route, and Dungey wasn't expecting that. But I didn't could be wrong, I haven't gone back and rewatched that play.

Yeah, just the way the ball seemed to drop right into a specific spot. Really seemed like ED put the ball exactly where he wanted it to go.

On the 1st INT, he was off a little bit. Who cares IMO.

He made so many other great throws where only the WR could make the play. I'm so confident in his ability each game, I don't really care that he threw 1 INT. Not counting the 2nd, lol.

Wow. Missed this because I was working till the 4th started, but I'm so glad SU can jeopardize this kids brain/future to NOT win a game. . . . . Scott Shafer for even allowing him back on the field.

You can't mess around with concussions like that. I don't want Shafer only demoted anymore. Please get rid of him,

Watch the whole scene, including Dungey's reaction to coming off the field, talking on the sidelines and going to the locker room. He absolutely didn't want to go out and was lobbying to go back, trying to convince anyone who would listen that he was fine.. Anyone who has had his "bell rung" will appear a little foggy; he was not.

They took the conservative route and he was cleared to play. End of story. This is a program that has disqualified 4 players in the last year to one too many hits to the head.

You can beat Shafer up for other things but not this. Dungey passed what seems to be a high bar to re-enter a game after a hit to the head.

qdawgg said:
Yeah, just the way the ball seemed to drop right into a specific spot. Really seemed like ED put the ball exactly where he wanted it to go. On the 1st INT, he was off a little bit. Who cares IMO. He made so many other great throws where only the WR could make the play. I'm so confident in his ability each game, I don't really care that he threw 1 INT. Not counting the 2nd, lol.

I realized in the middle of this game that I thought if get the ball I'll be excited to watch and they will score.

Last time I was this confident in the offense? Late 2012.

Dr Bud wrote up an article about our whiz-bang kid Dungey. I didn't click on the link because I refuse to read his trash. He titled this gem
"Eric Dungey's scary hit led to medical 2-minute drill that had QB right back on the field"

PAcuse said:
Dr Bud wrote up an article about our whiz-bang kid Dungey. I didn't click on the link because I refuse to read his trash. He titled this gem "Eric Dungey's scary hit led to medical 2-minute drill that had QB right back on the field"

He was all over that in he post game presser.

It's really not that hard:

- he took hit
- was removed from game, staff did some eval on side line
- did protocol in training room
- was fine and returned

Bud is not a doctor and he's not a very good writer and now he's just a cranky old guy

Yes, he took a big shot DIRECTLY to the head. Which in more cases then not, causes a concussion. Even if it's just the mildest concussion you can get. It's still a concussion, and if you read about CTE it's not about taking a lot of MAJOR concussions. It's an accumulative affect of all concussions, minor to major, over the course of ones life.
Add No basketball, thats where I got my concussion.

The most vicious, violent collision I've ever seen in person was in soccer. It was a brutal, full speed, midair, head to head collision with both players going for the ball in the air. It was terrifying to watch.

Actually cheerleading is the most dangerous sport in America. No joke. But all these "what's worse?" posts don't make football any safer.

Add No basketball, thats where I got my concussion.

Getting one concussion or even a couple in basketball is nothing compared to the several hundred minor concussions that football generates.

I'm going to sound like a really uncaring ass-bag, but it's gotta be asked. SU has a concussion protocol. I may be wrong, but I think it's unique to SU. 3 concussions on or off the field while you are playing for SU, and you're disqualified. We've already seen a couple guys removed from SU football due to this.
Question is, does this hinder us even more on the recruiting trail? A lot of recruits goals is to make it to the NFL. If it comes down to Syracuse and Pitt, won't a recruit choose Pitt so he doesn't have to take a chance at being disqualified due to concussion? He'll have a safer route to the NFL.

Football will end if these hits aren't stopped. It does not seem that the people who make large sums of money from it have the will to stop it. If coaches , AD's and institutions knew they are going to be raked over the coals by a media watchdog , they would stop it.

Rage4CUSE said:
Getting one concussion or even a couple in basketball is nothing compared to the several hundred minor concussions that football generates.

Looks like someone read one article in "Parents" magazine our the local paper and suddenly became a neurologist. People get concussions everyday in everyday life activities. Is football a dangerous sport? Yes, of course. But a lot of sports are dangerous. Spend enough time around high school and college athletics and you'll see all sorts of injuries, some kind of gruesome.
I have two high school kids in NJ. They have to undergo a baseline neurological test before participating in sports at their school sou that they have a record for comparison if the ever hit their heads. Concussions are tracked Concussions are getting serious scrutiny nowadays. It's far more likely that you are off base than Dungey but being properly assessed/treated.

If you're really interested, check out the work of Dr. Mark Gordon, who works with war veterans who have suffered brain injuries. He has had a lot of success treating veterans with nutritional supplements and testosterone therapy. He is trying to get funding and support for wider studies because he thinks this can help many, many people who suffer from post concussion problems, including CTE. Unfortunately, he is hitting a lot of resistance from the medical "establishment" in this country.

people are so deferential to doctors. if we held doctors accountable for mistakes in performing concussion protocol, none of them would want to do it.

it's very vague, it's just a way to say we did something. "protocol" sounds official. i think we'd make less mistakes using the eye test. you got drilled in the head and was a chalk outline for 3 seconds, you're sitting

Without helmets!

Maybe we should outlaw heading the ball in soccer as well then, because basically you are saying everytime someone gets hit in the head no matter how hard, it is a concussion. Yes you get hit in the head in football, but Soccer is just as bad. The athlete needs to realize some risk when they sign up to play sports. This isn't 10 years ago. Athletes have the ability to know the risks before they sign up now.

People get hurt. I know that when I watch sports. Why are people continuously outraged everytime someone gets a concussion? Unless you are naive, you know its a possbility when you watch the game.

Without helmets!

I was a keeper in soccer. Got completely run over once about 13 years ago. I was knocked out for a half hour, and back in the net 2 days later.