Preseason Practice... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

To me, as with every JB season going forward, the goal should be the bubble. Get in and win a couple games.

Anything more would be fantastic.
Anything less, disappointing

Should clarify the win a couple games would more more than expected.

I think just being on the bubble (even if we don’t get in) needs to be the expected goal until JB walks away. Expecting top 25 seasons isn’t realistic at this point, sadly.

I won’t this team should be better than last year
Should be, sure. But Im not sure we’ll develop and mesh throughout the season like we’re used to. I hope the staff’s up to the task at hand

if joe gets a quality shot then I see no need to bemoan massive volume from him. there is no good look that I dont want joe shooting.

If Joe is getting 20 wide open shots a game - this is a national title caliber team IMO

He's one of the best shooters I've ever seen ( a better shooter than Buddy, imo). ...he's just on the small side and not particularly fast so rarely gets many open looks .

If he's just gunning 20 off-balance 35 footers every game...then it would be a problem...but I seriously doubt that.

I guess it will probably be the case that he has the green light with under 5 seconds on the shot clock to gun...which, while not perhaps ideal, really wouldnt be that bad.

I think being "the man" can do wonders for a player like that...a shooter that has clear first option status in an offense can bring out the beast in a player. I think Joe is a confidence player and the more confidence he has the better he plays...I think we have seen the reverse of that so far with Benny.

However, to temper all of that, Joe does struggle one on one,,,,and we have seen numerous late game mulligans from him over the last few seasons so i don't exactly want to see his Michael Jordan imitation this season if it means iso Joe for the last 5-10 minutes of games...we saw that with Buddy last year and it was a disaster.
All comes down to how Joe reacts to having the other team’s best guard defender on him the entire game. He doesn’t have two prolific shooters like Buddy and Cole spacing the floor anymore. Could be special, could be disastrous.

Which is an enormous difference. 15-16, sure.

I’m sure he’ll lead the team in FGA because a perimeter player almost always does, and Mintz is only a freshman. I’m expecting 2006 GMac/Devendorf type of shooting/scoring numbers from Girard/Mintz.
Yea, this could be like senior year Gmac in 2005-06, where JB famously said at the BET we wouldn’t have won 10 f’n games without him. Except TRob, DNic, Watkins and McCroskey were all JUNIORS (albeit with a mixed bag of previous playing time) instead of freshman like this year (along with sophomore Benny). The other difference is that we didn’t have a senior center like Jesse Edwards on that roster. Hoping Mintz can be like freshman Devo in terms of production. Symir is also a wildcard.

Last edited:
Yes, DNic was the first person who came to mind when Bulldog was referring to quieter/more passive type who struggled early and was able to turn it around. Good example of someone who struggled mightily early when JB and others would get on him but ultimately figured out a way to get his confidence and be a real leader of the team as an upperclassman. Not everybody can figure this out though.
When DNic was missing shots his first year, he was still a better shooter than BW showed last year. DNic had great form from the day

Lol! Issues with Gmac ? That’s hysterical. When have I ever said anything about Gmac ever in a negative way? The answer is never. I’ve actually stood up for him when people feel like he “loses” a recruit. And zero issue with JB. Is it time for him to go? No question. But It’s because I want the program to be successful.

Let’s stay on topic though about practice. We talking about practice

1664570599546.png

All comes down to how Joe reacts to having the other team’s best guard defender on him the entire game. He doesn’t have two prolific shooters like Buddy and Cole spacing the floor anymore. Could be special, could be disastrous.

If he has to go 38 mpg through one of the weakest non conference schedules in years I think disastrous is very possible. By ACC time he won't have the legs. I like the fact we have a PG room of sorts now. That said, with so much youth we need a lot to go right this year. That in itself is concerning given that good fortune hasn't been part of the equation of late to pair with the many flaws.

Mintz will be a difference maker as a scorer for this team. Granted he is a freshman and the learning curve will be real. I think he could also be a difference maker on D, too.

Teams will have to account for Jesse's ability to score inside, and he will be featured. That doesn't mean the offense will flow through him (but that wouldn't be a bad idea)

If the above 2 things happen, JGIII will get a lot of looks

That last sentence is why I hate sharing stuff with people on this board like you. He’s clashing with the head coach and has since day 1. At no point did I say anything about my dislike for the coach. How could you ever get to that conclusion?

Coach does not like the quiet kids like Roberson or Benny. He thinks they aren’t trying. Benny fights back and says hes trying hard. The cycle continues.

Not tough to figure out and has nothing to do with what I think about coach. It’s what I’m told
So, reading between the lines, and I'm paraphrasing here...JB can be an a*%hole to quiet, introspective kids. Amirite?

The confirmed plan is The entire offense is running through Joe as the 2. And he is getting a minimum of 20 shots per game. Ultimate green light. Can argue about it if you want, but that’s what’s happening and I know that for a complete fact
It's a well-known fact that JB is a big fan of Steph Curry. I think what he's envisioning with JG3 is a sniper, Jimmer Fredette-like redux offense, where Joe carries the team, and the Frosh play supporting roles to varying degrees. Jimmer is JG3's mentor...Joe was made for this role, and I believe he'll thrive in it.
Judah as the PG to facilitate and orchestrate the "O", Jesse in the middle to provide "some" offense when needed, and Benny, yes Benny, to play a key role as uber-athletic garbage man for rebounding and defense.
Despite all his faults, theres no question that JB is a savant on the sidelines who sees things others, ie; the fans, rarely see. The real question is whether his vision of the team he wants will morph into reality, as the season plays itself out.
Overall though, I see JG, Jesse, and Mintz having big years, while Symir, Benny, and a couple of the frosh, maybe Taylor, Brown, and/or Bunch(?), fill in the remaining gaps. I also expect the portal transfer center, whose name escapes me & I'm too lazy to look up, will get a few minutes backing up Jesse every now and again.
We all know JB's formula- he's worked it to great success over many years. He'll have 7 core guys and the rest will eat dust the rest of the way. And regardless of how the season plays out, expect a number of transfers next year, most likely Copeland, a maybe fed up Benny, and probably one of the bench-warming bigs. JMHO

Last edited:
Joe should never be iso Joe late in games with Mintz and Symir on this roster. I'm not saying he won't have 1 on 1 situations where the matchup warrants him taking his man- but in most cases he shouldn't be operating solo on the ball like that. It's not the strength of his game even as the primary option.
Joe doesn't Iso. He might have a hard time ISO at the Auburn Y. Joe needs to run around like the coon dog hunting shots

Mintz will be a difference maker as a scorer for this team. Granted he is a freshman and the learning curve will be real. I think he could also be a difference maker on D, too.

Teams will have to account for Jesse's ability to score inside, and he will be featured. That doesn't mean the offense will flow through him (but that wouldn't be a bad idea)

If the above 2 things happen, JGIII will get a lot of looks

Agree with this. Mintz is a true combo that I think is best on ball, but is genuinely the best of both worlds. That versatility opens up so many options with the guard rotation. Can play bully ball with Torrence, finesse with Mintz, and Girard will really be able to float for easier looks. Helps that Mintz has shown he can extend the defense, too.

Joe doesn't Iso. He might have a hard time ISO at the Auburn Y. Joe needs to run around like the coon dog hunting shots
I'm thinking Torrence, hopefully Williams, and most importantly, Mintz can run effective isolation when necessary.

Girard should be running off screens, flashing to openings when someone else drives, spotting up for kick out passes, and most importantly, shooting from the pick and roll with Edwards. I think he can get a handful of open threes every half.

The composition of Girard's shots will be critical this season. When Girard is open and shooting in a rhythm, he's way better than a 50% shooter. When he's chucking guarded, off balance threes, he might as well be passing to the other teams guards to start the fast break. If he shoots any of those before the shot clock is expiring, he ought to get an unscheduled rest. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
well he's been clamped down by top teams generally.

In the last duke game without buddy joe went off in the first half and did nothing faceguarded in the 2nd...so...if he has to score iso vs top defender on other teams...i dont expect much success...

but within the team concept he can get open looks if the team would start screening off the ball, pick and roll, run sets to get him open etc...

ISO Joe doesnt seem the best way to use him

but JBs offense is ISO heavy...something has to give

well he's been clamped down by top teams generally.

In the last duke game without buddy joe went off in the first half and did nothing faceguarded in the 2nd...so...if he has to score iso vs top defender on other teams...i dont expect much success...

but within the team concept he can get open looks if the team would start screening off the ball, pick and roll, run sets to get him open etc...

ISO Joe doesnt seem the best way to use him

but JBs offense is ISO heavy...something has to give
JB let Cooney and Rautins feature in a motion offense. Girard can't run 40 miles a game off screens like those guys did, but we could probably run a double screen for him every few possessions... Between that and the pick and roll, he should get a lot of opportunities for usage.

It's a well-known fact that JB is a big fan of Steph Curry. I think what he's envisioning with JG3 is a sniper, Jimmer Fredette-like redux offense, where Joe carries the team, and the Frosh play supporting roles to varying degrees. Jimmer is JG3's mentor...Joe was made for this role, and I believe he'll thrive in it.
Judah as the PG to facilitate and orchestrate the "O", Jesse in the middle to provide "some" offense when needed, and Benny, yes Benny, to play a key role as uber-athletic garbage man for rebounding and defense.
Despite all his faults, theres no question that JB is a savant on the sidelines who sees things others, ie; the fans, rarely see. The real question is whether his vision of the team he wants will morph into reality, as the season plays itself out.
Overall though, I see JG, Jesse, and Mintz having big years, while Symir, Benny, and a couple of the frosh, maybe Taylor, Brown, and/or Bunch(?), fill in the remaining gaps. I also expect the portal transfer center, whose name escapes me & I'm too lazy to look up, will get a few minutes backing up Jesse every now and again.
We all know JB's formula- he's worked it to great success over many years. He'll have 7 core guys and the rest will eat dust the rest of the way. And regardless of how the season plays out, expect a number of transfers next year, most likely Copeland, a maybe fed up Benny, and probably one of the bench-warming bigs. JMHO
l think Copeland might be asked to redshirt... he' be in the rotation after JG3 leaves ...this is a make or break year for Benny.

l think Copeland might be asked to redshirt... he' be in the rotation after JG3 leaves ...this is a make or break year for Benny.

Redshirting isn't happening in a Portal driven world. Might as well ask him to txfr.

So much insane hyperbole in this thread. Name even one Syracuse player who averaged 20 or more fga per game.
GMac never averaged more than 14 spg. Thats with a Not 10 arfing games shade of green light for some perspective

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom