PS: Scott Shafer says Syracuse offense needs to open up the playbook when facing Northwestern | Syracusefan.com

PS: Scott Shafer says Syracuse offense needs to open up the playbook when facing Northwestern

ep22-222x222.jpg

Why would he say this to the freaking media? Is this really the answer or is this just what people want to here?

For strategic purposes he really shouldn't be saying anything to anyone about the direction of the offense.

For the record, it's not just about "opening up" the playbook. It's about figuring out an identity on offense, developing strengths and creating a gameplan around those specific strengths.

"I need to take those handcuffs off George and just let him go."

This, to me, is the HC protecting his coordinator. My guess is there were some serious 'conversations' about the O on the way home.

Either that, or Shafer and McDonald are writing a sequel to "50 Shades of Orange". :p

And for the few poster who have been throwing GM under the bus for play calling - and then backing up and running over him - we have this to consider:

"I knew it was going to be a fourth-quarter game. We played it close to the vest, and I need to take those handcuffs off George and just let him go."

Maybe SS is taking the noble approach here to protect his coaches (if so, I salute him). Or maybe, just maybe, this is a first time head coach going through inevitable growing pains and trying to adjust.

The same thing happened to Marrone.

Why would Shafer put the handcuffs on to begin with?

"I need to take those handcuffs off George and just let him go."

This, to me, is the HC protecting his coordinator. My guess is there were some serious 'conversations' about the O on the way home.

I agree that Shafer is protecting him. But I also think Shafer probably mandated that the offensive gameplan stay fairly conservative unless the game was out of reach. He wouldn't be the first defensive coordinator turned head coach to approach a game that way.

We'll see what happens this week. Better hands from the H back/RBs will help mask some of those problems.

I'm sure Shafer is more concerned about the communication issues, and I expect the flaw from booth to sideline to QB to be the primary focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

I agree that Shafer is protecting him. But I also think Shafer probably mandated that the offensive gameplan stay fairly conservative unless the game was out of reach. He wouldn't be the first defensive coordinator turned head coach to approach a game that way.

We'll see what happens this week. Better hands from the H back/RBs will help mask some of those problems.

I'm sure Shafer is more concerned about the communication issues, and I expect the flaw from booth to sideline to QB to be the primary focus.

This is why I like offensives head coaches.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jet sweep reverse with Estime and Morris. Broyld decoy. Strike the band.

Or, defensive coaches that completely hand the keys to their O coordinator when it comes to offense.

Or, defensive coaches that completely hand the keys to their O coordinator when it comes to offense.
I'm fine with turtling up once they know that they suck on offense but I don't like when they presume it

Shorten games later only if you have to

I think d coaches like middle of the road bland jack of all trade offended because they look at offense as just something the defends needs to practice

A more unique offense might hurt the defenses preparation for other teams. Even if the unique o is a net positive, d coaches want good d first

I think d coaches like middle of the road bland jack of all trade offended because they look at offense as just something the defends needs to practice

A more unique offense might hurt the defenses preparation for other teams. Even if the unique o is a net positive, d coaches want good d first

Don't think so with SS. He has been on record for a while stating what kind of offense he prefers. Not what we saw on Sat.

"I knew it was going to be a fourth-quarter game."

I hate that kind of thinking. Coach, your choices play a big part in whether it's a fourth-quarter game or not.

Win it in any quarter, boss.

pitt ran the jet sweep 3 time and the wr was 10 yds down field before he saw contact.. we run it once and PSu had 3 guys in the backfield. its a play that only works if the D is asleep

This is all about taking the heat of George

So you're of the opinion that Shafer, who was coaching in his first game, put no thought into the offensive gameplan?

What will he say next week to defend him now that he went all in, just leave him on the island?

Once you get a target (and it happens quickly), your posts become a challenge to read. I'm not an ignore type, I like to read everyone's thoughts, whether or not I agree. But I have a feeling that you + McDonald post is going to have to come off my menu.

I hate that kind of thinking. Coach, your choices play a big part in whether it's a fourth-quarter game or not.

Win it in any quarter, boss.

Agree with that. Make your destiny, don't wait around for it.

But I'm giving him a mulligan for it. First game against a tough D, and facing a true freshman QB. It didn't surprise me that his gameplan was don't do anything too risky on offense to throw the game away.

Now that he got the first one under his belt, I'd like to see him become the attack coach that he says he is.

Good guy Scott. See's a mob with pitchforks heading for his OC, takes his place instead.

He's a former QB. So I'm hoping he'll be the right mix. Wouldn't be the first coach to go into a shell in his debut. It's a tough opponent/environment to have to start with.

He's a former QB. So I'm hoping he'll be the right mix. Wouldn't be the first coach to go into a shell in his debut. It's a tough opponent/environment to have to start with.
i hope so too. it's all just speculation with a sample of 1. but it's no fun to wait to talk about it. i'm worried though. that's why i care about punts in a game they weren't going to win anyway

So you're of the opinion that Shafer, who was coaching in his first game, put no thought into the offensive gameplan?

What will he say next week to defend him now that he went all in, just leave him on the island?

Once you get a target (and it happens quickly), your posts become a challenge to read. I'm not an ignore type, I like to read everyone's thoughts, whether or not I agree. But I have a feeling that you + McDonald post is going to have to come off my menu.

Chip McDonald is not a target. I was glad we hired him and very glad that we hired Shafer. My point on McDonald is simple even for someone who is not "ignore" . He did not have his team ready to play. Communication is everything should be the foundation. It was a total mess the entire game. I can see a series possibly two but not the entire game and things became worse after the half. Yes Shafer was taking the heat for him