PS: Scott Shafer says Syracuse offense needs to open up the playbook when facing Northwestern | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Scott Shafer says Syracuse offense needs to open up the playbook when facing Northwestern

I think communication issues were over blown and varied thruout the game.. i watched again and there were lots of times we were at the line set to go with 25 on the clock.. i think the bigger issue was oline talking to each other and a QB that has little game experience changing into the correct plays and then getting the rvcrs/rbs in the right spots. when you add in the drops a couple penalties at bad times, and the 3-4 bad blocks .. the good thing was that the guys we need to make catches clark/fleming/west/wales didnt drop anything. The guys who did were the RBs trying to make moves too quick and Broyld.

the Oline didnt dominate, but they also did not get shoved back into the backfield and held up on the pass protection they just didnt slide correctly a couple of times.. that can be fixed easier than being over talented.

Agree with that. Make your destiny, don't wait around for it.

But I'm giving him a mulligan for it. First game against a tough D, and facing a true freshman QB. It didn't surprise me that his gameplan was don't do anything too risky on offense to throw the game away.

Now that he got the first one under his belt, I'd like to see him become the attack coach that he says he is.

Yeah, I'm fine giving him a mulligan too. I do question the true-ism that taking "risks" on offense, whatever that means, throws games away. I've come to believe that's something coaches and commentators say that we all take at face value, but I can't ever remember thinking "You know, were it not for how aggressive we were on offense early, I think we win that one," you know?

Yeah, I'm fine giving him a mulligan too. I do question the true-ism that taking "risks" on offense, whatever that means, throws games away. I've come to believe that's something coaches and commentators say that we all take at face value, but I can't ever remember thinking "You know, were it not for how aggressive we were on offense early, I think we win that one," you know?

I'm not saying you or I would think that way. But head football coaches think that way. Look at the paranoia over injury reports and who gets to watch practices. It's probably a reflection that these guys are now paid way too much $, and the pressure of that is making them cuckoo.

I'm not saying you or I would think that way. But head football coaches think that way. Look at the paranoia over injury reports and who gets to watch practices. It's probably a reflection that these guys are now paid way too much $, and the pressure of that is making them cuckoo.
taking chances doesn't appeal to those who think "extend the game" makes sense

Why would Shafer put the handcuffs on to begin with?

Avoid turnovers, try to play for the short field. Typical conservative approach when you have a new quarterback. How long have you been watching football? This is how Pasqualoni and DeLeone coached for their last 5-10 years at SU.

Agree with that. Make your destiny, don't wait around for it.

But I'm giving him a mulligan for it. First game against a tough D, and facing a true freshman QB. It didn't surprise me that his gameplan was don't do anything too risky on offense to throw the game away.

Now that he got the first one under his belt, I'd like to see him become the attack coach that he says he is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Well, I think the key to that is the ability to quickly get the play in to the QB, and you have to have a QB who can make the reads at the line of scrimmage and pick the hot receiver.

We showed none of that against Penn State. We weren't fast. There was no tempo. If you can't play at tempo, then get in the huddle and do it traditionally, but make sure you execute the play.

Well, I think the key to that is the ability to quickly get the play in to the QB, and you have to have a QB who can make the reads at the line of scrimmage and pick the hot receiver.

We showed none of that against Penn State. We weren't fast. There was no tempo. If you can't play at tempo, then get in the huddle and do it traditionally, but make sure you execute the play.

Well, that's 2 potential issues. Communication has to be fixed quickly. If it means full huddle, then great. Just make sure everyone is on the same page.

Then once we do line up, the OL and QB in particular have to be able to make their reads. If we're not able to do that, it's a completely separate problem. One that probably won't be corrected as quickly as the general process flow from OC playcall to offense lining up.

Well, that's 2 potential issues. Communication has to be fixed quickly. If it means full huddle, then great. Just make sure everyone is on the same page.

Then once we do line up, the OL and QB in particular have to be able to make their reads. If we're not able to do that, it's a completely separate problem. One that probably won't be corrected as quickly as the general process flow from OC playcall to offense lining up.

I agree with that. My point was that those 2 things have to happen to run the offense we (theoretically) want to run. We have to be able to get the play in, and they have to be able to make the correct reads. I saw terrible breakdowns in pass protection just as much as I saw bad throws.

I think for now, we should huddle up vs. Northwestern and just get the play calls and the reads right. Slow down and get it right. It may take them another game or two to get their live reads together, but that only happens with game experience.

Tempo will come later on, after we get the basics down better than we've shown so far.

I agree with that. My point was that those 2 things have to happen to run the offense we (theoretically) want to run. We have to be able to get the play in, and they have to be able to make the correct reads. I saw terrible breakdowns in pass protection just as much as I saw bad throws.

I think for now, we should huddle up vs. Northwestern and just get the play calls and the reads right. Slow down and get it right. It may take them another game or two to get their live reads together, but that only happens with game experience.

Tempo will come later on, after we get the basics down better than we've shown so far.

Agree 100%. literally walk before you run. I think the teams that run at warp speed have a little more continuity between qb and coaching ,ie; staff and players who have been there a bit longer. I think they also may simplify things a bit more as well. In addition, there is a function as to why Chip Kelly use to use those goofy signs on offense.

Between first game nerves, new teammates, new staff, new qb, is it really realistic to think we can run plays at warp speed? I don't know

Agree 100%. literally walk before you run. I think the teams that run at warp speed have a little more continuity between qb and coaching ,ie; staff and players who have been there a bit longer. I think they also may simplify things a bit more as well. In addition, there is a function as to why Chip Kelly use to use those goofy signs on offense.

Between first game nerves, new teammates, new staff, new qb, is it really realistic to think we can run plays at warp speed? I don't know
i always think about the gruden interview of newton. here's newton looking completely normal explaining to gruden that their play calls are short and simple . then gruden with his dumb and dumber amber alert bowl cut lectures him about plays with ten million words and numbers

the talking heads and spoon fed writers watch that and think, boy the professor really embarrassed the student there.

belichick simplifies their calls and all of a sudden WHOA BOY what a revolution!

i'd be curious to find out what their play calls are like this year at SU

i always think about the gruden interview of newton. here's newton looking completely normal explaining to gruden that their play calls are short and simple . then gruden with his dumb and dumber amber alert bowl cut lectures him about plays with ten million words and numbers

the talking heads and spoon fed writers watch that and think, boy the professor really embarrassed the student there.

belichick simplifies their calls and all of a sudden WHOA BOY what a revolution!

I would think the simpler the better with a new qb and a new staff, jesus give the kids a chance. Again, there are plenty of offenses out there with average talent that are productive. At least let them get to the line knowing the play!! May be onto something there

Avoid turnovers, try to play for the short field. Typical conservative approach when you have a new quarterback. How long have you been watching football? This is how Pasqualoni and DeLeone coached for their last 5-10 years at SU.

Well, we turned the ball over three times and lost a game we could have won. I'd say the conservative approach sucks my nuggets. That bomb to Kobena wasn't conservative and our new QB looked fine on that play. I'd rather go down swinging than beat my head against the wall with the between the tackles running game that clearly wasn't working at the time.

Well, we turned the ball over three times and lost a game we could have won. I'd say the conservative approach sucks my nuggets. That bomb to Kobena wasn't conservative and our new QB looked fine on that play. I'd rather go down swinging than beat my head against the wall with the between the tackles running game that clearly wasn't working at the time.

I have zero issue with SS playing it safe.

1. When we tried to push the ball, our inexperienced QB threw two INT.
2. It was our 1st game with a new QB, OC, line coach, and RB coach.
3. Our D was playing pretty well. PSU played pretty conservatively for most of the game.
4. We were in the game with 2 minutes left.
5. Had Reddish scored, I think Hackenberg is the one panicking into TO's and we win going away.

NW is a team that we have to keep up with to win. I don't think we'll be shutting them down like PSU - they are more dynamic and experienced. Communication and execution will be better this game. Plus NW is not as good on D.

I agree with this (and others who have stated a similar sentiment). Drew didn't seem ready for the no huddle offense by reading the D and it really slowed things down and results in some miscommunication. However, I don't see anything that can't be corrected. I expect SU to be competitive against NW. I won't call a win because I don't know how McD will adjust the offense, but I expect a good game.

And I'm watching the game this time so its better be good, damn it!

I agree with this (and others who have stated a similar sentiment). Drew didn't seem ready for the no huddle offense by reading the D and it really slowed things down and results in some miscommunication. However, I don't see anything that can't be corrected. I expect SU to be competitive against NW. I won't call a win because I don't know how McD will adjust the offense, but I expect a good game.

And I'm watching the game this time so its better be good, damn it!

If I have to add the BTN for one game, listen to the awful announcers - and then call TW to drop the channel? Yeah, it better be competitive.

The part I still find strange in all this complication talk, is that I didn't think we looked all that complicated. We ran a lot of similar plays and similar formations in that game. The simplicity of it was actually annoying me. Oh you're lining up in pistol for the 12th time? Then I bet you're going to run between the center and guard for the 12th time. Sure enough... Is PTG going in motion out to the right again? Then I bet you're throwing a quick pass left to whoever is lined up at H back. Sure enough...

I think the complication is overrated right now. I think the execution (or lack thereof) was a much bigger deal. Better blocking, better hands, we probably win that game and the offensive stat page looks a lot better.

Wait, they didn't even open the playbook before the PSU game?