PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results

Isn't the heat index up there in the 100s today?
Not sure since I also live in Alabama now (near Montgomery) but I believe I have read where it's been close or near that. They are having southern heat wave that is for sure. The only good thing about living up that way this year is you know a cool front will come in eventually where down here it's hot and humid for 2-3 months. You just have to get used to it.

Not sure since I also live in Alabama now (near Montgomery) but I believe I have read where it's been close or near that. They are having southern heat wave that is for sure. The only good thing about living up that way this year is you know a cool front will come in eventually where down here it's hot and humid for 2-3 months. You just have to get used to it.
=D

Yeah, we just went through that a week or so ago. Up here in the Huntsville area, we had a few days of 110+ (heat index). Didn't think it got that miserable up there.

=D

Yeah, he says it's hotter than hell in his apartment. Fans aren't even helping much today.
Got more rain today than all summer combined. It would rain for 10 minutes real hard,sun comes out then rains even harder for 20 minutes. Right now there is a storm that is just lighting up the skies non-stop.Dam cat wants to go outside to get wet and cool off...out the door he went.Wife is pissed,but hey...the cat is happy.

it was brutal yesterday, even after it rained. Looks to be cooling down just a little bit this week

upload_2016-8-14_8-37-19.png

How the hell can the athletic program allow such sub par food arrangements?

We just spent god knows how much on the IPF and future Dome renovations. Get these kids some lunch and dinner.

You see a lot of guts spilling out on good players in the NFL. I don't quite understand why it works there other than those guys are genetic freaks that can be athletic at that weight. Our defensive line needs to be disruptive and speed is disruptive. I think of a guy like Russell Maryland who was considered undersized when he played for the Jimmy Johnson Cowboy teams but used his speed to his advantage. That's what I hope to see.

There is a big difference in the offenses run in college vs. professional. You can't have 320 pounders clogging up the middle when almost all college teams get their yards on the edges. The majority of professional offenses still try up the middle quite a bit. A guy like Vince Wilfork clog up the middle, but if you pay attention when passing downs come along those guys aren't in the game. In college you need your DT to be able to run sideline to sideline with some sort of effectiveness. The spread offenses we face look to get yards on the outside early and often a 320 pounder isn't going to be much help defending that.

Coach Babers is the first coach we have ever had who at least so far seems to understand what is needed defensively at the college level. Unfortunately, our former strength coach, who by most accounts is an awesome dude, under the guidance of it head coaches focused on strength building and getting bigger and stronger instead of a lot of the things college players need to compete at that level.

There is a big difference in the offenses run in college vs. professional. You can't have 320 pounders clogging up the middle when almost all college teams get their yards on the edges. The majority of professional offenses still try up the middle quite a bit. A guy like Vince Wilfork clog up the middle, but if you pay attention when passing downs come along those guys aren't in the game. In college you need your DT to be able to run sideline to sideline with some sort of effectiveness. The spread offenses we face look to get yards on the outside early and often a 320 pounder isn't going to be much help defending that.

Coach Babers is the first coach we have ever had who at least so far seems to understand what is needed defensively at the college level. Unfortunately, our former strength coach, who by most accounts is an awesome dude, under the guidance of it head coaches focused on strength building and getting bigger and stronger instead of a lot of the things college players need to compete at that level.

Excellent points. 320 DTs are great for run stuffing, but there are VERY few 320 pound DTs capable of pass rushing, or being an "every down" kind of player. Most of those 320 pound NFL DTs are in on short yardage plays, where runs up the middle are expected.

Not just talking about d-line though. You see it on the o-line too. Then when they retire, the drop like 50 lbs like Mark Schlereth, so they obviously were trying to maintain weight. I realize that's not everyone, but you see it more than I'd expect.

Not just talking about d-line though. You see it on the o-line too. Then when they retire, the drop like 50 lbs like Mark Schlereth, so they obviously were trying to maintain weight. I realize that's not everyone, but you see it more than I'd expect.

When my grandfather was posthumously inducted into a hall of fame last year l Chris Snee was the guest speaker. He must have weighed 225 max, he didn't even look like the same person who was playing in the NFL only a year or two earlier.

Going back to my point about previous coaching staffs, one of my former players was an OL for SU. Even in high school he had the pure size to be a D1 OL, 6-4, 300, but I knew from the time he was a freshman in HS that he needed to improve his quickness and overall footwork. Unfortunately, all of the camps he attended were enamored by his size and okay footwork and never stressed to him how important improving his footwork actually was. These coaches at camps pretty much convinced him that they were right and I was wrong. He continued to add strength and weight to his huge frame, but never became quicker. He was an excellent HS OL and SU liked him enough to bring him in as a preferred walk-on. I truly believe had he worked on his footwork and quickness he could have been a contributor at SU, but the S&C program in place at SU continued to work on getting him bigger and stronger and ignored the part of his game that truly needed improvement.

Trueblue25 said:
How the hell can the athletic program allow such sub par food arrangements? We just spent god knows how much on the IPF and future Dome renovations. Get these kids some lunch and dinner.
I'm honestly stunned by the conversation.

I am disappointed by this conversation too. The fact that all we here is edinger et al beating their chests about proper training and nutrition, yet, players are left hanging for 2/3 of their meals? Is this for real? We are supposed to be a P5 ACC team and kids are left shopping for food? Are they given a grocery list by the staff and $50? I work in the cardiovascular biz and most educated 30-40 yo people dont know how to shop in a nutritional way. Flabbergasted.

I am disappointed by this conversation too. The fact that all we here is edinger et al beating their chests about proper training and nutrition, yet, players are left hanging for 2/3 of their meals? Is this for real? We are supposed to be a P5 ACC team and kids are left shopping for food? Are they given a grocery list by the staff and $50? I work in the cardiovascular biz and most educated 30-40 yo people dont know how to shop in a nutritional way. Flabbergasted.
I'm a graduate and I don't even know whats healthy. I still count a buffalo tender dinner from Tullys as a great full nutritious meal.

Eat everything out of the sea and you will be fast. Old Jamaican saying.

Add me to the list. Nutrition, staff dieticians, tailored meal planning and access are elementary to any serious athletics program. That these would be lacking at a D1 college football program is...well...unacceptable.

In another thread I was questioning the competence of the athletic staff and the response I got was "there's a new sheriff in town." Guess not.

I'm pretty sure all the scholarship athletes have all the money they can use on their supercard which can be used in any of the dining halls.

I think the issue is when the guys are on campus in the summer the dining halls aren't open...

I don't know if that's better than me knowing it's not healthy, and just having no problem wolfing it down anyway.
There's absolutely no shame in that. They are delicious.

kirbivore said:
In another thread I was questioning the competence of the athletic staff and the response I got was "there's a new sheriff in town." Guess not.

Who? I don't think Wildhack is on officially yet.

That was in response to your sarcastic remark about spelling Pearl's name right when they honor him against Georgetown when all those careless mistakes occurred under the previous regime. Not overhauling the nutrition program by Aug. 15 when Wildhack's last day at ESPN was July 28 and he starts with SU in mid-August. Are you that desperate to be negative or just that dense?

Well I will say all the schools I visited with shy I asked about dorms and food. This is normal for the schools we went to. As a matter of fact bc just has a table for all the athletes of all sports in a sports center. No meals just quick stuff. I will say su has a better dorm program. Bc only lets you stay in dorms 3 years Miami was 2 years. I would guess sec programs have a better food program and get better results but that is only a guess. I do think it is crazy they just tell the kids eat zyx and the kids have to go get it on their own. They give them a weight goal but no real guide to it. Shy is hurt right now so I sent him a new diet for anti inflation and high protein. He has to find rides to the store to get the list though.