PS: Syracuse football must replace entire linebacker rotation (LBs preview) | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse football must replace entire linebacker rotation (LBs preview)

So many unproven commodities. I don't think anything is going to make me feel better.

Yup.

Only "silver lining" here is - we won't have to Ride or Die with 3/4 guys only, who while incredibly experienced and pretty talented, were completely beaten up and broken down by season end.

And the younger guys were recruited for this system, so they all have more height & speed than what we've been rolling out there, so hopefully that will help overcome the experience deficiency.

We really need a Richards, Williams, Cullen, or Wallace to step into a prominent role -- if that happens, I think this unit has the components to be better than expected.

If it doesn't happen, we're going to struggle.

Lots of question marks, but lots of components [admittedly unproven] that could make this unit stronger than forecast.

This adds to my belief that Trotters better transitioning to safety/nickel.

Man fagan’s light too though.

Think Wallace and Allison jump our 2017 lb’s

i think we keep getting better athletes but whether they play the position as consistently we wont know until about mid-oct

I wad hoping to pick up a late JUCO Linebacker. Kind of like an Austin Valdez. Is it too late?

Can someone tell me what happened to Lakiem Williams that was a JUCO from Butte Community College. I don’t remember hearing about him at all. He is listed on the roster, but no mention of him in LB preview.

Can't deny the loss of experience at this position, but a few thoughts.
First, the weights of these players do not appear to be updated. Possible that Guthrie, Whitner & Fagan will have added some muscle.
Second, Guthrie was a workhorse and a star LB in the jucos. He was playing some DE last season out of necessity, but might show more now that he is in his natural position.

And there are several candidates to fill that spot next to Guthrie. With veterans all throughout the defense (except for Cisco at safety), it will be OK to have a newbie emerge in this one spot. Someone like Richards, who has better size than we have had in that role.

Can someone tell me what happened to Lakiem Williams that was a JUCO from Butte Community College. I don’t remember hearing about him at all. He is listed on the roster, but no mention of him in LB preview.

Listed in the preview under "who joins" -- after Wallace.

Appears on the updated roster.

A leg injury sidelined him during spring workouts

I still think he has a decent shot at being a starter. He seems to have the best combination of size, speed and experience. He was injured in the spring unfortunately. If he learns all of the scheme I think he ends up a starter. My guess would be Williams, Guthrie and Whitner starting. Armstrong and Shy first subs in. Trotter plays some nickel behind Cordy along with Stritz.

Edit: Add Richards to the subs along with Armstrong and Shy. I really like his future here but I think he was just pretty raw coming in.

Last edited:
Re Williams, what I've pieced together is he's very talented, exceptional speed and power for a linebacker although slightly undersized. The injury during the Spring was a big setback but he's going to have an opportunity to earn a spot in the two deep during camp. I would not be surprised to see him emerge as the starting will backer. There is a lot of talent in the linebackers room right now. I expect to see more use of situational packages and much more rotation across the entire defense. I think a number of positions are going to be by committee, especially the first two games.

The highlighted quote above is the reason that I'm semi-optimisitic that the LB corps might enter the season as a huge question mark, but that once these inexperienced guys get their sea legs might shift that perception to be viewed as a position of relative strength.

Or at least, that's what I hope.

uhh he was there

This one was a terrifying read. At least for 2018.

But I expected it.
There's nothing really we can see or read right now that won't be terrifying when it comes to that position group. Just so much unknown.

That said, I think we'll be fine.

Was is '93 or '94 when we had graduated all of our experienced LBs and had to start freshman while switching from the 3-4 to a 4-3? P decided to move safeties to LB and LBs to DE to try to emulate the team speed of teams like Miami. I think Nate Hemsley weighed 197 and we got ran over that year. WVU set a record for rushing yards in the Dome. I can't imagine this group will be that bad given better physical maturity and experience.

Was is '93 or '94 when we had graduated all of our experienced LBs and had to start freshman while switching from the 3-4 to a 4-3? P decided to move safeties to LB and LBs to DE to try to emulate the team speed of teams like Miami. I think Nate Hemsley weighed 197 and we got ran over that year. WVU set a record for rushing yards in the Dome. I can't imagine this group will be that bad given better physical maturity and experience.

Exactly what I've been thinking of.

On one hand, People Who Follow Recruiting have been very excited about these young linebackers since they were in high school. (Never mind that the very same people were real excited about a kid who just transferred to Kennesaw State.) So I'm thinking that the ceiling is high, they'll improve, how bad can it be?

Then I keep getting flashbacks to 1993 and losing like 90-0 over two weeks to WVU and Miami. I guess that's how bad it can be.

Still, I'm leaning toward optimistic.

Exactly what I've been thinking of.

On one hand, People Who Follow Recruiting have been very excited about these young linebackers since they were in high school. (Never mind that the very same people were real excited about a kid who just transferred to Kennesaw State.) So I'm thinking that the ceiling is high, they'll improve, how bad can it be?

Then I keep getting flashbacks to 1993 and losing like 90-0 over two weeks to WVU and Miami. I guess that's how bad it can be.

Still, I'm leaning toward optimistic.
I also feel like this dline will be better than the line that was in front of those young undersized guys.

The DLine and secondary will step up and cover for them until they get their sea legs, that's what good teams do. Also, the 4-2-5 will work wonders for them. I can see the LB's being lost in coverage at times and fall for good play fakes but they will also make some spectacular plays we haven't seen from that position in a while regarding pass coverage. It'll be nice to have some health at that position too, poor Z and Paris were so beat up, especially Paris.

….. I can see the LB's being lost in coverage at times and fall for good play fakes but they will also make some spectacular plays we haven't seen from that position in a while regarding pass coverage. ...

The 3 listed at the top of the depth chart (Guthrie, Whitner, Cordy) are likely better in coverages as a trio, and just as savvy and fast, as the 3 we lost. They are experienced seniors, though not .in these roles The question is more about how they will stand up, physically, against teams that want to run the ball. Should be an opportunity for the second unit LBs (those with better size) to rotate in, depending on down/distance and the tendencies of the opposing teams.