PS: Will 'College Gameday' ever come to Syracuse? ESPN producer on how it can happen | Syracusefan.com

PS: Will 'College Gameday' ever come to Syracuse? ESPN producer on how it can happen

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. — Picture this, Syracuse fans.

It's a college football Saturday. You flip on ESPN singing along with "Big N Rich"as they bellow that they are 'coming to your city.'

We're live.

The crowd goes wild as the camera pans over a mob of fans jumping up and down splashed in Orange. Otto the Orange runs along the crowd gathering as many high fives as possible. Syracuse University cheerleaders fly through the air.

Students mug for the cameras with their signs trying to go viral.

Rece Davis looks into the camera, with the Carrier Dome in the background, and says 'Welcome to College Gameday live from Syracuse, N.Y."

Getting 'Gameday' to Syracuse won't be easy, but at least Syracuse fans now have an alum running the show.

1995 Syracuse University graduate Jim Gaiero is about to take over the largest traveling circus in college football this weekend when he assumes title of lead producer of 'Gameday,' taking over for Lee Fitting who was in that role for 12 years.

What would it take for Gaiero to produce 'Gameday' back at his alma mater?...

Will 'College Gameday' ever come to Syracuse? ESPN producer on how it can happen (Axe)

proxy.jpg

Also the 2000 VPI-SU game in Blacksburg.

We can get CGD but we need to be undefeated and hosting either Clemson or Florida State undefeated. We are probably 2-3 years away from this,.

I mean CGD has gone to BC twice they will come to SU we just have to earn it.

Doesn't follow his school's football team closely because of some bad decisions but follows the basketball team. Sounds pretty fair weather to me.

None of us on here have liked what we have seen for 15 years but we've all continued to pay attention and keep hope alive.

Last edited:
You mean the Bryant McKinnie holding fest?
We weren't beating that Miami team if we had 12 defenders that day. I agree McKinnie held Freeney a lot but their D totally shut us out and beat us down. Will Allen played well and he couldn't cover Andre Johnson.

I think our two gamedays were both road games right? 1999 at VT. 2001 at Miami.

I can remember thinking that was plenty, since we were outscored 121-0 in our first 2 opportunities.

We need to be coming off a good year - say 9-4. Then be at least 5-0 and have a lot of buzz nationally. We would be a feel good story.

We can get CGD but we need to be undefeated and hosting either Clemson or Florida State undefeated. We are probably 2-3 years away from this,.

SU hosted in 2000.

I remember this game, one of LBs, greenwood? Said we would make Vick look like a frosh, that didn't work out to well

Actually the last time we were featured on game day was that awful piece narrated by Schwartz about the express. The one where goober refused to answer how many times out of 100 we should beat Toledo. :(

SU hosted in 2000.
no they didn't.

it was 1999, it was at vpi...and we lost 62-0.

then after, for those of you Yankee fans...the redsux beat them 13-1.

so my teams lost by a combined 75-1 that day.

good times, good times.

* Giants won at home v the pokes on Monday Night to savage the weekend...

no they didn't.

good times, good times.

I believe the two times we have been on gameday, we have lost by a combined score of 121-0.

Wish we played VT and Miami every year. Much more interesting rivals than say, Wake and NC State - even BC.

Wish we played VT and Miami every year. Much more interesting rivals than say, Wake and NC State - even BC.

BC
PITT
CUSE
MIAMI
UL
FSU
VT

Wake
UNC
NCST
DUKE
CLEMSON
UVA
GT

Still don't know why the ACC didn't realign the divisions this way in 2013 when Pitt and Cuse was added. I don't think anyone would have complained about this considering you keep old Big East rivalries and the Carolina's are happy they all get to play each other as well.

To answer the question. We need to have finished the previous season with at least 10 wins and 1st or 2nd in our division while playing against the favorite in an early season game or be undefeated in the division with, no more than 1 loss over all, while playing the only other contender for the division toward the end of the season.

no they didn't.

good times, good times.

SU hosted VT in 2000, that was what I was responding to, not having game day here.

The 2000 game was very close, Freeney went off until he got hurt, came down to Vick making some big plays and Nunes panicking at the wrong moment.

sufandu said:
To answer the question. We need to have finished the previous season with at least 10 wins and 1st or 2nd in our division while playing against the favorite in an early season game or be undefeated in the division with, no more than 1 loss over all, while playing the only other contender for the division toward the end of the season.
Oh, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad.

Much easier way. Have a SEC team play it's home game at the dome against another sec team.

SU hosted VT in 2000, that was what I was responding to, not having game day here.

The 2000 game was very close, Freeney went off until he got hurt, came down to Vick making some big plays and Nunes panicking at the wrong moment.

Also SU blocked a punt late in the 2nd quarter and had the ball around the VT 30. SU was up 14-3 at the time. With Freeney going nuts and dome in a frenzy a 21-3 score at the half with Freeney able to pin his ears back in the 2nd half may have been too much for even Vick to overcome. P and D went conservative and essentially set up a FG try for that poor kicker whose name I forget that had clearly proven up to that point in the season that any FG over 40 yds. was shaky potatoes. He of course misses the FG and the score remains 14-3 at the half. Nunes implodes and Vick makes enough plays for VT to pull out the victory.