PS Writers Picks | Syracusefan.com

PS Writers Picks

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...l?hootPostID=9e145cf089358c8dcf11766e7f5bc0a8

None of the 4 put us in a bowl game.

They could argue things shake out during a season, but basically it looks like 3 of the 4 are saying we would start 5-1 and never win again. With the other saying we start 4-1 and never win again.

Put me on the record as saying if we can start 5-1, we'll find at least 1 win on the back half.

Ironically, the name of Millhouse's autobiography is At least 1 win on the back half. Release date TBD.

I just read that and what annoys me is that I know they don't follow any of the other teams that we play. How can you make a prediction when you basically don't have a clue about the state of the competition?

eh, i saw plenty of 5-7 in the prediction thread. what are they supposed to say? 12-0. 5-7 seems like a modest and fair prediction.

just make a bowl game! ANY BOWL.

Was Bailey THAT sanguine in the chat the other night? He watches this team EVERY day and predicts 4-8? Damn. I know that record is very possible, just sobering seeing it in print from him

Was Bailey THAT sanguine in the chat the other night? He watches this team EVERY day and predicts 4-8? Damn. I know that record is very possible, just sobering seeing it in print from him

The media really doesn't see much of practice at all...and only what the coaches want them to see. There are posters on here who have seen a lot more. The most the media has seen the team is from Fanfest and Drum where a lot was kept vanilla. And again they really don't follow the other teams in our division.

Why are people shocked? The experts in Vegas are saying if we win 5 games we have overachieved. This team needs to prove it. Why would the writers be expected to go 6-6?
We all want to win games but we are not being fair
In our division our talent is not better than Florida State, Clemson, Louisville. We are playing NC State on the road.
We should feel good to beat Wake and BC at home. Pitt has owned us the last decade and we are playing at Virginia where they only lost 1 home conference game last year.

I mean c'mon. I hope we can find 3 conference wins but predicting 2 is a fair prediction. Also we are taking @ USF for given which is not smart. I think that is a 50/50 game.

I wasn't shocked by it, or complaining about it. I just thought the writeups were interesting that it appeared we'd start 5-1 and then never win again. I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, if we do hit that 5-1 mark, we'll get to 6.

Not that I haven't seen the bottom fall out before... (ahem, 2011).

Last edited:
retro44 said:
What do you expect when kids at McDonalds will soon be making more than them...Rookies in publications.

Well, they do make more to write about SU football than anyone here, so I guess by that measure it makes all of our predictions worth nothing.

Chip said:
I wasn't shocked by it, or complaining about it. I just thought the writeups were interesting that it appeared we'd start 5-1 and then never win again. I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, if we do hit that 5-1 mark, we'll get to 6. Not that I haven't seen the bottom fall out before...

Agreed, if we can get to 5-1 then we should be able to find at least one more win. That would mean we've beaten USF and UVA on the road. Would it be impossible to then beat one of NC State, Pitt or BC?

I mean I could see the bottom fall out too, but I think it's more likely we're just bad from the start then get to 5 wins then get shutout.

I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone asking him his prediction. It sounds as if they are predicting all road losses for this team except for USF and then beating either Pitt or BC at home. That would give us five wins. So for the team to prove them wrong, they need to either beat both Pitt and BC (or LSU) or snag another game on the road. Whether we agree or not, it kind of makes sense based on the competition and number of question marks.

I dont see how anyone can be upset with these predictions. Frankly I'd be stunned more if we go 7-5 than if we go 3-9
looks like you ran out of your summer supply of PBR and started posting again. I use to live off those tallboys in the 80's

The point of the OP was the "illogic" of predicting 5-1 start and 5-7 record in the same breath.
I would say if we start 5-1 we are going to go bowling. I think we will beat BC so that would make us 6-6. I don't expect to beat Pitt, Florida State, Louisville, Clemson. If we were playing NC State at home I would say that would likely be a win.
What the PS writer is saying is that we shouldn't beat BC. If we beat USF and UVA on the road we are beating BC at home unless we kill ourselves.

The point of the OP was the "illogic" of predicting 5-1 start and 5-7 record in the same breath.

Right, and I don't even know if it's "illogic", I just thought it was interesting. It's certainly possible. I just don't think A would lead to B.

It wouldn't be a stretch though for them to think even though we listed UVA as a key game, we think SU will lose it and then beat someone, like BC. But I would just think BC would then be what they listed as the key game.

I think it's hard given where we are to come up with one key game. But certainly Wake, UVA, BC are the 3 biggest key games, with Pitt/NC State being next level.

I'm leaving USF off, because we just need to win that.

Sorry... my annoyance was more on Baileys 4-8 prediction. I guess I just don't see only 4 wins.
When I first read the article my first thought was that all four of them were overrating our opponents. I guess we will see how good the middle of the ACC is this year.

The worst thing about that piece is the use of Orange as singular. It's "The Orange ARE capable" not "The Orange is capable". Argh.

They all played it safe and went with the company line (Vegas). As CuseLegacy pointed out, they saw less of the team than many posters here.

Agree with Chip though: B doesn't quite follow A. Don't think the bottom will fall out. We are thin and inexperienced at some important positions, but if we stay relatively healthy - the key to this season - this team can and will pleasantly surprise.

Oh, and love Dungey at #2. We just got more "multiple" - Paul P must be smilin'.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 4m4 minutes ago
See some good chatter about season predictions. I'm sticking with the 4-8 I picked in June. Think SU can win 6, but margin for error is slim

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 2m2 minutes ago
Remember, the SU defense has 8 new starters, 6 of whom have never started a game before. New offense seems sound, but have to give it time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom