PSU's graduate assistants moral obligation? | Syracusefan.com

PSU's graduate assistants moral obligation?

liljoe

Scout Team
I find it amazing that while everyone is jumping on Paterno's back for not following up with administrators, there is very little Mentioned about McQueary's failure.

A) He saw it all happen, doesn't the ultimate moral obligation fall on him to follow through.

B) How the hell did he not jump in immediately an do something if he saw a 10 year old boy being assaulted? I think that alone is the most grievous offense by anyone at PSU...

Agree. I've seen a lot of rationalizing about how "difficult" it was to even tell JoePa, and whatever.

Screw that, the scumbag saw a 10 year old being raped and ran to his office to call his Daddy.

him.

Don't disagree but he's not the well known one. No doubt he bears the greatest responsibility to me. He could have stopped it. He can not be on the sidelines Saturday. He also can not set foot in a high school or family home as the recruiting coordinator either. Can you imagine the reaction a family might have...uhm, isn't that you they're talkign about? "Yes it is, but I called my Dad and told him and then left and went and told Joe what I saw. " Adios!

I know, I think the attention given to Paterno is beacuse he's an icon, and because he's the one people were initially defending as somehow doing the right thing. A 28 year old GA should be able to figure out what to do - even without consulting his father. The two them still couldn't figure out together.....awful.

He needs to be fired right before Paterno.

I find it amazing that while everyone is jumping on Paterno's back for not following up with administrators, there is very little Mentioned about McQueary's failure.

A) He saw it all happen, doesn't the ultimate moral obligation fall on him to follow through.

B) How the hell did he not jump in immediately an do something if he saw a 10 year old boy being assaulted? I think that alone is the most grievous offense by anyone at PSU...

A 28 year old man had to run to his daddy after witnessing a little kid get raped. That man is now the recruiting coordinator at Penn State.

He needs to be fired. Not sure how he ever looks a parent in the eye again after this. Not sure how he did before this came to light.

Completely disagree that McQueary bears the greatest responsibility in any sense, except maybe the greatest responsibility for whatever happened to that 10 year old not being stopped while it was happening.

Beyond that I hold him far less culpable than the people who were older and in authority at PSU that ignored and enabled Sandusky for years and didn't take action on the information that McQueary finally did report. Absolutely no question that after Sandusky himself, they bear the greatest responsibility.

This doesn't absolve McQueary of anything whatsoever, but as this mess progresses, I'm expecting to see a harassment suit from him that names everyone above him, JoePa, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, and Penn State itself. Before all of this mess was released, my lasting image of that guy was literally as the red headed step child that JoePa used to constantly berate on the sidelines. JoePa never talked to anyone else, just red, and was always screaming at him. Once I found out he was the GA, all I could think was, what did they say to him to make sure he played along. You want to keep your job, then you shut up about this, otherwise we'll ruin you. And your dad.

The fact that he didn't do anything, literally anything, at the time, the fact that he didn't go to the police, and the fact that he just went on coaching there all these years will mean the end of his football coaching career. That bright red hair will be another color soon when he goes job hunting in another industry.

Look, McQueary should have stepped in and helped that child. No question. Let's not forget that this guy's whole life hung in the balance in those few minutes. There is no doubt in my mind that if he would have done the right thing and stepped in and knocked the old pervert on his @ss and called the police, he would have been ruined. He would have been out at penn st and blackballed. Sad but true. A terrible situition to be put in. But at the end of the day, you still have to be a human being and do the right thing.

Look, McQueary should have stepped in and helped that child. No question. Let's not forget that this guy's whole life hung in the balance in those few minutes. There is no doubt in my mind that if he would have done the right thing and stepped in and knocked the old pervert on his @ss and called the police, he would have been ruined. He would have been out at penn st and blackballed. Sad but true. A terrible situition to be put in. But at the end of the day, you still have to be a human being and do the right thing.
Not sure how stopping a pedophile and having him arrested would get you blackballed. I think this is the short sighted thinking that leads to a cover up. It might've just as easily led to job security as the GA who was not afraid to do the right thing. It's not like he walked in on a coach smoking a j or anything. You don't get blackballed or labeled a narc for stopping someone from raping a 10 year old boy.

He should be hammered as much as anyone but he isn't the name or the face of the program. Heck the janitor should be hammered.

Sent from my DROIDX

McQueary is clearly responsible for his inactions...but the point is he was only aware and involved/or rather not involved in one instance...everyone else was aware and involved/not involved in the entire history and behavior of Sandusky... that is why they're getting more heat.and rightfully so...they enabled the monster and gave him a safe haven.

beyond that, joe-pa gets more heat because it's clear he is the jim boeheim of happy valley...meaning, he pretty much gets and does what he wants ...at a PUBLIC university. there's going to be a lot more that comes out over this, and it all falls at joe-pa's feet because of that control he has.

the only argument i've seen from Penn State fans that could even be close to reasonable (and its still ridiculously far off) for JoePa not getting any blame, and why he shouldn't be forced out, is that he's just a figure head for that program and doesn't actually run anything (which is bull)...but even if that were the case, WHY would you care if you kept the figure head of an era in Penn State history that will forever be known for child molestation???

Any adult that worries about what would happen for getting involved when witnessing a 10-year old kid get raped deserves anything that can be imagined. Not stopping a rape of a child is unreal. Every minute that went on from there made the grad assistant a worse human being. He WITNESSED THIS FIRST HAND. Nothing else matters - he knew it happened. Nothing is an excuse or explanation - nothing. Right now this guy can close his eyes and relive what happened - it was not a secondhand story or the like. He saw this happen.

I am sitting with my 10-year old son as he watches some Disney show right now. How the **** could anyone see a 10-year old raped and wonder what to do? Anyone that even considers what could happen to their career for stopping a rape is not deserving of any job in any profession at that point.

Go back a few pages.There's plenty.

the only argument i've seen from Penn State fans that could even be close to reasonable (and its still ridiculously far off) for JoePa not getting any blame, and why he shouldn't be forced out, is that he's just a figure head for that program and doesn't actually run anything (which is bull)...but even if that were the case, WHY would you care if you kept the figure head of an era in Penn State history that will forever be known for child molestation???

The easy counter to that is JoePa was not a figurehead in 1998 and 2002.

How is this even debatable? Granted I am only a few years away from 28 year old...maybe my thinking will change by then...but if I ever witnessed another grown man...raping a 10 year old...you bet your ass that i'm in handcuffs after the whole scenario is through. Maybe that's just because I have a temper..who knows

How is this even debatable? Granted I am only a few years away from 28 year old...maybe my thinking will change by then...but if I ever witnessed another grown man...raping a 10 year old...you bet your ass that i'm in handcuffs after the whole scenario is through. Maybe that's just because I have a temper..who knows

and I just realized I used way too many ellipses in that paragraph.

I haven't watched the news and only read a few accounts... where does it say McQueary didn't do anything? Every report I've read says he was a witness. That he told his father and then Paterno the next day. Who's to say he didn't stop the acts, argue with Sandusky and then leave?

Still, no excuse not to call the cops.

I haven't watched the news and only read a few accounts... where does it say McQueary didn't do anything? Every report I've read says he was a witness. That he told his father and then Paterno the next day. Who's to say he didn't stop the acts, argue with Sandusky and then leave?

It's in the grand jury report. He saw it, went back to his office and called his father, then left the building.

At this point, McQueary has to be thinking:

A) "I wish I had called the police."

Or

B) "I wish I'd never told anyone what I saw."

Something tells me option B is going through his head a lot more than A. Oh Lord

Because if a grad assistant beat the hell out of a former d-coordinator or even got himself beat on as a result A) you wouldve heard about it and B) inquiring minds wouldve wanted to find out why.

At this point, McQueary has to be thinking:

A) "I wish I had called the police."

Or

B) "I wish I'd never told anyone what I saw."

Something tells me option B is going through his head a lot more than A. Oh Lord

Hopefully it's

C) "I shouldve stopped that little boy from being raped."

Agree. I've seen a lot of rationalizing about how "difficult" it was to even tell JoePa, and whatever.

Screw that, the scumbag saw a 10 year old being raped and ran to his office to call his Daddy.

**** him.

I think we understand now what happened with daddy there. He helped negotiate his son's future on the PSU staff in return for his silence. There can be no other explanation as to why neither one of them has spoken of the issue prior to the Grand Jury investigation. Either that, or the power of Paterno's Empire was truly that strong that he could ruin the GA's life before it even got started.

My guess is the guy was intimidated into silence and then greased with cash and advancements. Still doesn't expunge him from never telling authorities.

I think you hit it on the head, and I bet that is going to be his story when the cork really comes off this thing.