Pti | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pti

1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont and 2010 Butler are my "big 3" in terms of gut-wrenching heartbreak.

Was too young to remember Keith Smart, thankfully. And Richmond is a very vague memory for me as I was 8 and didn't really care yet.

The first tourney games that I felt emotionally invested were the 1994 season with Hawaii, Wisconsin-GB and Missouri.

My big four are Iowa in 1980, IU in 1987, Illinois in 1989 and OSU in 2012. Reason being those were all very good SU teams with a shot at a title. Btw notice a trend with these losses? Some of those other losses were painful but those teams weren't going very far anyway.

The most gut wrenching was the Indiana game cause it was for the Ship and we had it

The most infuriating was the Vermont game that was lost due to complete stubbornness by the coach .. If we press that team pro-actively we win be 40

That was a tough one. I had attended my first only only Big East tournament the week before, had the time of my life. And a week later...ugh

1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont and 2010 Butler are my "big 3" in terms of gut-wrenching heartbreak.

Was too young to remember Keith Smart, thankfully. And Richmond is a very vague memory for me as I was 8 and didn't really care yet.

The first tourney games that I felt emotionally invested were the 1994 season with Hawaii, Wisconsin-GB and Missouri.

Vermont. My sons very first NCAA game and he had just turned 8 a couple weeks prior so this was a huge bday gift for him. Cried like crazy. I felt so bad for him.

Who was that big dude they had? Oh yeah... Taylor Coppenrath. Man, I hated that kid.
Gerry was hurt if I recall. Yep, it sucked.

My big four are Iowa in 1980, IU in 1987, Illinois in 1989 and OSU in 2012. Reason being those were all very good SU teams with a shot at a title. Btw notice a trend with these losses? Some of those other losses were painful but those teams weren't going very far anyway.
Except Indi.

I’d forgotten that. What an awful decision that was.

Ennis packed an awful lot into a single season. Had absolute magic for the first 25 games and then, something a lot different for the rest of season.

he started reading mock draft boards and was trying to get his

That was by far the most heartbreaking tournament loss for me since I became an SU fan.

I was a sophomore at SU and went down to Florida to spring break to spend it with my grandparents. I was so excited to experience a big SU win with my grandfather, who was the basketball coach at Kent State in the 50’s. He was a huge basketball fan. Taught me how to play. Gave me the love for the game.

I remember when we lost that game, I immediately walked out of their condo and went to the ocean side dock at the back of their complex and stared off into the water for what seemed like hours.

What a heartbreaking loss for what would have been an incredible memory for us to share.
And a completely unnecessary upset to boot. Anybody with any basketball sense could see we’d murder them if we applied any kind of presssure.

Last edited:
Arkansas is my number 1 because of the way it came about. Ironically we weren't an upset victim. Thankfully the FF the next year helped...

Ditto. It’s one thing to lose because another team made a basketball play, but it’s entirely another thing to lose on a 100% unforced mental error. I felt physically depressed for like a week.

Gerry was definitely hurt during the following years opening round loss vs A&M, but I’m drawing a blank on him being hurt vs Vermont.
I watched that w my ex at the time. She was an S&M alumn. She didn't even rub it in, probably because I mentioned Gmac was injured like 20X

Ditto. It’s one thing to lose because another team made a basketball play, but it’s entirely another thing to lose on a 100% unforced mental error. I felt physically depressed for like a week.
I remember that game was on late Sunday afternoon. Monday morning at school was just an awful feeling. They should’ve just cancelled school.

Agreed. Losing to Navy by 20 after we had beaten them on the same floor by 20 earlier in the season was soul-crushing.
Losing to 0$U in Hartford in 1983 after having beaten them in the Dome earlier that season was my first in-person crushing defeat.

Yeah, this is the only Vermont tourney game that should be discussed. Scoop crossover at 35 seconds.

That crossover was absolutely filthy. "A LITTLE LINGERIE ON THE DECK!" -Raftery if he was there

Gerry was definitely hurt during the following years opening round loss vs A&M, but I’m drawing a blank on him being hurt vs Vermont.
I think I mixed them up.

I was at the Iowa game. JB got a very badly timed "T". Out the game out of reach. Ricky Green killed us, as I remember.

There was witchcraft in the air that night. Germain Mopa Njila averages 5 PPG over his career, pours in 20 in that game. Then that idiot ref T'd Roberts off a dunk to kill the comeback. He never saw another game after that. GMac was 1-7 at the arc. The floor was full of dead spots and everyone kept losing the ball because of it.

But we took care of them in 2010. The anniversary of that is tomorrow, Mar 19.

NCAA: Syracuse routs Vermont 79-56 to advance
We should have pressed the whole game with that floor.

Yeah, this is the only Vermont tourney game that should be discussed. Scoop crossover at 35 seconds.

That's my favorite team of all time. Just so fun. So good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom