Class of 2021 - QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Paulding
Went to North Cobb for a year of HS, not too far down the road. Cousins would have gone to Kell but ended up at Blessed Trinity. Both played baseball - powerhouse program.

Agree. But some of it might just be this new era we are in.

Kids want to play right away. They want to be starters from day one. They are not patient. They want what is best for them.

Florida had a big competition for the starting QB job. One kid won. The 2 other contenders both went into the portal.

You almost have to have 4 QBs going into a season to have a chance to have 2 left for the year after. The ones that do not play are likely going to transfer. This is true to some extent at all positions, but more so at QB than anywhere else.

It is great we got a player who made the Elite 11 finals and was ranked the 5th best QB in his class. From all accounts, he has a really strong arm and great touch. I think he can run and buy time and get some first downs but is probably more of a pass first guy than Shrader and Villari.

The battle for the starting position this fall is going to be one of the big stories in the ACC going into the fall. We are fortunate we have a scheme in place at Syracuse that has proven it is capable of producing NFL QBs. As well as an OC and QB coach who have produced several NFL QBs. This is what kids want. A system where they can show what they can do, where if they do well, they have a chance to get drafted and play in the NFL. And a place where they have a realistic chance to win a starting job. As Jake noted, Coach Anae and Coach Beck have a ace up their sleeve with their history of using 2 QBs concurrently. Even if you don’t win the starting job, you have a good chance of getting a lot of PT and still having a chance to throw some passes and showcase your talents.

I can tell you this: ACC DCs are not happy about having to switch from defending a Gilbert run scheme with Devito at QB to an Anae run scheme with multiple legit QBs who can throw and run. It is going to be a lot harder to stop the Syracuse offense now.

Love it.
I'm all for a pass first QB and have no problem even if he would be a pro style QB.

He still needs WR to throw to and I don’t see how the staff has addressed this issue with a ton of talent. Regardless I’m very excited about adding this kind of talent at QB. Anyone thinking Dino getting fired at the end of
The year now?
To me it ain’t happening

Very late with this but after watching the full HUDL film on Wilson I disagree with his bottom three evals. Outside the pocket he is very active and throws accurately on the run.

His speed which is NA I estimate at 4.4 high and is faster than any QB we have in our room I would bump him up to an 8.

His mobility if you go back and re-watch him is great. Don't know why this scout's grade is so low. Gets away from those pursuing him effectively and connects with his receivers delivering the ball on the run.

His release is under 2 secs on slants across the middle which is very quick getting the ball out of his hand to the receiver and his ACCURACY is an 8 not a 6. He has two great receivers especially #7 & # 2 who he looks for because they catch anything he throws and his throws are coming from a great arm.

Throws a hard ball across the middle and has loft on his go routes for the receiver to get to the ball. His entire tape is very, very good. He'll make Schrader work hard to stay the starter.

We have a WINNER in CARLOS DEL RIO WILSON and this sheet above should read 8 all the way and I bet with Beck he learns the playbook and is neck and neck with Shrader very quickly.
To be fair keep in mind you’re watching only the plays he chose to put on Hudl while the evaluator may have watched full games and saw the misses too.

Regardless I’m sure he’s improved across the board after a year at Florida

He still needs WR to throw to and I don’t see how the staff has addressed this issue with a ton of talent. Regardless I’m very excited about adding this kind of talent at QB. Anyone thinking Dino getting fired at the end of
The year now?
To me it ain’t happening
Donovan Brown looked pretty hot to me as a freshman in that Spring game. And a bunch of other receivers were making plays too. I think we are going to be all right.

Maybe it was Gilbert's play calling last year that led to a poor pass offense more than anything else?

Football is still king in GA. One of the reasons why high school soccer (I coach soccer) is played in the spring. Recently saw that Georgia took the top spot of football recruits per capita.

McEachern is like a small college campus. Lot of money has been left from that family that pumps into it. They have a nice stadium. It is one of the hosts for the state soccer playoffs. Next time you are there, check out the statute from the side. Some folks that graduated from there told me about that. Both Milton and Buford are very nice. The high school stadiums down here are jaw dropping compared to the upstate NY facilities that I was accustomed to.

And yes, Cuse should always be involved in recruiting GA.
I live close to West Forsyth HS (former SU LB Ryan Guthrie's HS). The facilities are really nice but probably a bit smaller than the power programs in the area. A lot of $$$$ in the Milton and Buford districts.

If anybody else was wondering how Carlos Del Rio looked in the Florida spring game I found this link. Not much to see really. He came in for the first drive of the 4th quarter at the 1:22:00 mark of this video and that was his only drive I think. He is #8. Didn’t have an opportunity to do to do too much. Missed a flare out throw to a RB. Other plays he really didn't have anybody to pass to. I don't think he'll be quite as dynamic running the ball as Shrader but should certainly be effective.

Last edited:
I have a feeling he needs some work on accuracy yet. But he is basically a freshman and I assume he was working with a new offense in their spring gam with a new staff. Probably hasn't gotten too many reps. Receivers were not helping him much in that game.

I have a feeling he needs some work on accuracy yet. But he is basically a freshman and I assume he was working with a new offense in their spring gam with a new staff. Probably hasn't gotten too many reps. Receivers were not helping him much in that game.
Well if he needs work on his passing accuracy he'll fit right in. :)

This has probably been covered but did he finish 5th? in the Elite 11 nationals or in a Regional?

This has probably been covered but did he finish 5th? in the Elite 11 nationals or in a Regional?
In the Elite. Hes the real deal. Highest rated QB since God knows when.

Went to North Cobb for a year of HS, not too far down the road. Cousins would have gone to Kell but ended up at Blessed Trinity. Both played baseball - powerhouse program.
Nice. NC is really close. Play them twice a season.

BT is a powerhouse in all sports!

I live close to West Forsyth HS (former SU LB Ryan Guthrie's HS). The facilities are really nice but probably a bit smaller than the power programs in the area. A lot of $$$$ in the Milton and Buford districts.
No doubt!

West Forsyth just won the girls soccer state championship again. They went back to back. We lost in the Elite 8.

Gentlemen please keep the discussion on CDRW or your posts will be deleted.
I admit to being confused as to why you want the conversation to head in a re-writable compact disc direction, but I'm nothing if not accommodating.

Sony was the best.

91MSgQhYHiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I tried to find some footage from the Elite 11 year he competed hit was unsuccessful. Anyone else tries and had any luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.